BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-05-19 6:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabesfaster's Summer Group-OPEN

Originally posted by wannabefaster Arend. Don't know if you remember but we met last year at MT 70.3. We got in the water together for a practice swim but that is the last I saw of you. I'm way too slow to stay with you in the water. Welcome to the group. I think you will find that we will pick your brain for swim tips and advice.

Of course I remember, that was what I was referring to in my bio saying you destroyed me on the run.  

Well. I'm back from the American Triple-T. They describe it as an epic weekend and I don't think they are wrong. 5,250 meters of swimming (more or less), 109 miles on the bike (not official, just my addition), 27.2 miles running, done in four triathlons over three days. Bike and run done on very steep hills. It was hard. I feel remarkably good right now but getting out of bed tomorrow will be hard, I suspect. I have no idea how I did. Results aren't up yet and I was more interested in survival on site so I wasn't following the results too closely. I think in the end that I did ok. No podium or anything like that but I think I represented myself ok. I'm beat and trying to get all of the wet stuff out of the car and catch up with my family so I will wait until later to get in to all of the details. Suffice it to say, I fell like I did "something big." It was satisfying to finish.

Sounds incredible, I can't wait to hear all the details !

Edited by axteraa 2014-05-20 6:48 AM

2014-05-19 7:34 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Originally posted by wannabefaster Arend. Don't know if you remember but we met last year at MT 70.3. We got in the water together for a practice swim but that is the last I saw of you. I'm way too slow to stay with you in the water. Welcome to the group. I think you will find that we will pick your brain for swim tips and advice. Well. I'm back from the American Triple-T. They describe it as an epic weekend and I don't think they are wrong. 5,250 meters of swimming (more or less), 109 miles on the bike (not official, just my addition), 27.2 miles running, done in four triathlons over three days. Bike and run done on very steep hills. It was hard. I feel remarkably good right now but getting out of bed tomorrow will be hard, I suspect. I have no idea how I did. Results aren't up yet and I was more interested in survival on site so I wasn't following the results too closely. I think in the end that I did ok. No podium or anything like that but I think I represented myself ok. I'm beat and trying to get all of the wet stuff out of the car and catch up with my family so I will wait until later to get in to all of the details. Suffice it to say, I fell like I did "something big." It was satisfying to finish.

CONGRATULATIONS!   That sounds Brutal and you survived it.   I'd say you did "SOMETHING VERY BIG"

2014-05-19 7:41 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Feeling a bit older today... B-days do that I guess. but I did celebrate with a nice 5k run this morning.   Not the negative split runs I had 3 times last week but I'm pleased generally.

Ride on Saturday for me was good as well, 16 miles 15.95 mph.   Almost a full MPH faster than last week, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Looks like everyone had a good weekend of racing and training.   That's always a good thing,

Arend:  Question of the sages -- is it Arena, Tyr, or Speedo as the best suit for swim training...   Crazy question, but in a crazy mood.

2014-05-19 7:41 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by wannabefaster Arend. Don't know if you remember but we met last year at MT 70.3. We got in the water together for a practice swim but that is the last I saw of you. I'm way too slow to stay with you in the water. Welcome to the group. I think you will find that we will pick your brain for swim tips and advice.

Of course I remember, that was what I was referring to in my bio saying you destroyed me on the run.  

Well. I'm back from the American Triple-T. They describe it as an epic weekend and I don't think they are wrong. 5,250 meters of swimming (more or less), 109 miles on the bike (not official, just my addition), 27.2 miles running, done in four triathlons over three days. Bike and run done on very steep hills. It was hard. I feel remarkably good right now but getting out of bed tomorrow will be hard, I suspect. I have no idea how I did. Results aren't up yet and I was more interested in survival on site so I wasn't following the results too closely. I think in the end that I did ok. No podium or anything like that but I think I represented myself ok. I'm beat and trying to get all of the wet stuff out of the car and catch up with my family so I will wait until later to get in to all of the details. Suffice it to say, I fell like I did "something big." It was satisfying to finish.

Sounds incredible, I can't wait to hear all the details!

and in the category of "it's a small world", Jason and I met (sort of, we didn't know it at the time) when he did Kona in 2011. My wife and I were volunteering as body markers and he happened to be in our line. I posted a Kona volunteering/spectating report and he remembered us. I specifically remember him - most of the racers were all business and serious, Jason was the happiest and most cheerful guy we saw that morning! We also met up in Mont Tremblant for the 70.3 last year where he destroyed me on the run after giving me a bit of a head start after the swim.

Maybe I should do a slightly better job of reading before posting.

It was more than a bit of a head start out of the water at MT. Alas.

I can still remember how giddy I was on that morning in Kona. I am pretty cheerful at baseline, but that day I had the good fortune of rubbing shoulders with the some of the fastest IM distance athletes in the world. I walked in to transition with Tim O'Donnel and Mirinda Carfrae (the defending IM "world champion." How cool is that? You could not wipe the smile off of my face (at least not until about mile 15 of the run---then I stopped smiling for a little bit.....) I swore before I went that I was going to do two things; finish, and enjoy the event as much as possible.
2014-05-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: UTTriman

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by UTTriman

Feeling a bit older today... B-days do that I guess. but I did celebrate with a nice 5k run this morning.   Not the negative split runs I had 3 times last week but I'm pleased generally.

Ride on Saturday for me was good as well, 16 miles 15.95 mph.   Almost a full MPH faster than last week, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Looks like everyone had a good weekend of racing and training.   That's always a good thing,

Arend:  Question of the sages -- is it Arena, Tyr, or Speedo as the best suit for swim training...   Crazy question, but in a crazy mood. 

If by best suit you mean the ones that last longer than a couple of months, the Speedo Endurance will last a long time.  My experience with them is the seams let go before the material.  The others may also have ones that last as well.  What you really want to get is something made of polyester (not lycra/spandex).  Chlorine eats lycra for breakfast and they will be see through in a few months if they get regular use.

2014-05-19 7:50 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
South Alabama

I use the Speedo Endurance and my experience has also been that the seams go first. First time I have ever logged the use of a suit but my current Speedo Endurance jammers have 73 hours of swimming in them so far.....about 135.5 miles. I expect them to split anytime now.....always makes for an interestiung day at the pool.

2014-05-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

I use the Speedo Endurance and my experience has also been that the seams go first. First time I have ever logged the use of a suit but my current Speedo Endurance jammers have 73 hours of swimming in them so far.....about 135.5 miles. I expect them to split anytime now.....always makes for an interestiung day at the pool.

I have both and prefer the Tyr Durafast suits. For some reason they are more comfortable on me. Not that I mind the Speedo so much but it seems to me like (not to be indelicate here) I have to do a lot more adjusting of my "stuff" in the Speedo. TMI.

I have a couple Tyr square legs that I alternate and they have at least three seasons of swims in them. The threads on the seams used to be black and now they are white so I expect that is where the failure will come with them as well.
2014-05-19 9:41 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Good morning everyone-

I am sorry I have been so slow to get my new bio posted. TOWKA and I were out of town for a long weekend and just got back last night. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up and get to know the new members of the group! I'll work on that today...didn't feel like working anyhow! At any rate, here is the updated Bio:

Hi Everyone,

Couldn’t quite copy and paste my winter bio since it was just a day or two post knee surgery and centered a lot on that and my complete S/B/R inexperience. Now I am a grizzled SBR veteran! (O.k. so I’ve never done a tri, but hey…details!!)

Name: Chris / 43YORook

Story: Well, as the forum handle implies, I am 43 years old and still about as big of a rookie as exists here. I have been training pretty regularly since January but have had some running setbacks as I try to shake off 20 years of being a sloth. As some in the group know, I was a pretty competitive collegiate and post collegiate runner; All-American in cross country and track, sub 14 minute 5000m, 4 minute-ish mile, etc… In other words, I was fast…once. Work and life had conspired over 15-20 years to contribute to an overly sedentary professional and personal life, to the point that I woke up one day and realized I somehow weighed in at 220 pounds, more than 80 pounds over my running weight in college!

A couple years ago my wife started running road races (she was a sprinter in college) and asked me to start running with her. Needless to say, my physical limitations contrasted with my mental picture of how I used to train and run. This led to my first injury, a lateral meniscal tear 2 years ago. Fast forward to this fall and I was doing some minimal training and had run a half marathon (“run” is a relative term here, but in the strictest sense of the term I was running) and experienced renewed knee pain. This time the orthopedic surgeon said it was more of an osteo-arthritis issue than a specific injury. MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus in addition to the arthritis which is what I had worked on in December.

As for what brought me here: I had promised myself many, many years ago that someday I would do an Iron Man. Well, this arthritis diagnosis and the fact that I’m now in my 40’s made me think I better see if this is even realistic at this point. So, I stumbled on BT several months ago and have been reading voraciously, both here and infinite numbers of articles and information in other places. I have seen a lot of feedback that the training process for triathlons may be just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. So here I am, starting my journey with way more questions than answers, a bit of uncertainty, a lot of hope, and a commitment to achieve this goal and make traithloning a part of my life going forward.

Family: My wife (many here know her as The One Who Knows All…TOWKA) and I live in West Michigan with our youngest son (7 years old). Our two older children (22 year old son and 19 year old daughter) are both on their own, for the most part, working full time and taking classes part time, trying to decide what to do with their lives.

Training: This has been a work in progress as I re-enter the world of fitness beyond the couch and my desk chair. I started biking in January and took a few swim lessons as well. Now, after several months, my swimming resembles more of a small pebble as opposed to a large rock. I’ve been spending a lot of time on the bike since January because I could do it without pain (like running) and didn’t feel like I might drown (like swimming). I have been working with a sports based group locally that includes a PT, a sport focused kinesiologist and some really good professional trainers to address some gait imbalance issues and physiological inefficiencies in my running form. I am slowly getting to be able to start back to run training and hope that the slow effort will yield some good results over the next 6-12 months.

Weight loss/gain: This is better than it was a year and half ago as I dropped about 50 pounds over the last six to ten months. It is still a focus for me as I have probably 20-30 pounds left to get down to what will be a decent race weight.

Race plans: This remains somewhat up in the air at this point. I am signed up for half iron distance race in August which I had not intended to be my first race ever, but we shall see how the rest of the summer goes. I am more focused on next year at this point than this year. I am committed to addressing physiological issues from the past two surgeries and years of inactivity to ensure that when I do decide I’m ready to race I can at least feel like I produced an effort I can live with. Right now, that’s not the case.

Why I'll make a good mentee: Hmmm…I probably won’t. Past coaches (and probably TOWKA) would say I am “un-coachable”! However, I really want to do this and feel like if I can ever actually make it to a starting line that I have some capacity to be decent at it. I have a competitive background and the mental capacity to push my body to the absolute limits in competition. When I commit to something, I do it to a nearly obsessive level (much to my wife’s chagrin) and that mentality seems to fit in well in this sport and in this community.

I am really looking forward to getting to know all the new members of Randy and Jason’s group and appreciate them putting up with me for the first few months so far.
2014-05-19 10:06 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Triple-T, the 'short' synopsis:

I don't have any of my times for any race. They were available on site with one of the coolest timing systems/results computer that you have ever seen but I was more worried about survival. Having the time from the race I just finished wasn't going to change what I did for the next one so I pretty much ignored the results for the entire weekend.

The drive down took about an hour longer than I expected and I was starting to worry about making it before registration closed. Arrived at around 3:45 for the 5:00 race. Got my stuff. Racked my bike. Talked to some people. Learned some logistics.

Friday 5:00 PM Race: 250 M swim (think it was longer)-just over 5 minutes. 3.6 mile bike-pushed 280+watts for much of this-11minutes? 1 mile run-pushed to edge of what I could do-around 6:20?

Saturday 7:30 AM, conventional Olympic: Air was 38 degrees at the start. 1500 M swim, went ok-no idea of my time. Long T1 to put on warm clothes--good decision-shuld have put on more. 23.8 mile bike--somewhere in the low 1:20 range--lots of hills. 6.55 mile run up "Lamp Black Bridle trail"-around 47 minutes (This trail is 2.6 miles up hill, 0.65 miles steep downhill and then turn around and run back. Killer hard trail.) I want to say that I did this whole race in the mid to high 2 hour 30 minute range.

Saturday 3:00 PM, Olympic done as Bike-Swim-Run: Bike 25.5? miles--tough, tough, tough-not sure of my time yet. It was still cold so I wore sleeves and gloves and would not have minded another layer. Swim--now this was fun-trying to get in to the wetsuit as fast as possible--actually I felt really great in the water-apparently hamstring cramps are quite common in this format. Run--same run trail--this is survival at this point. I think I was about 2 minutes slower over the run that in the morning--not too bad for the additional fatigue. Not sure of my total time on this one. One thing I did different from usual is I went with all non-caffeinated nutrition for this one because I wanted to be able to get to sleep early in prep for Sunday.

Total time as of end of Saturday's races was right at 5 hours 39ish minutes which put me in 37th place overall. Not sure out of how many, but again I was more concerned with survival than I was with placement.

Sunday: Actually felt pretty good getting out of bed. Surprisingly good. 37 degree air temperature was really cold. Race was about 20 minutes late getting started--apparently this is typical for day three, a little bit more casual start and that is ok. Swim--best swim of the weekend---felt good--drafted off some faster people--conserved some energy. T1--even more warm clothes this time--some racers did not do this and regretted it horribly. Bike-56+ miles, freezing to start, even with all of my layers on. The first half of this bike is brutal--28 miles of steep climbs and scary-fast downhills. The second half, while not easy, is much easier than the first half. Run-felt remarkably good. This run is two laps of the same trail. First lap I tried to keep it at 8:00 pace on the uphills (not always successfully) and under 8:00 on the downhills. Wanted to walk very badly but I was afraid if I started walking that I would have a very hard time running again. Second lap for the run I felt like death on the 2.6 miles up hill but was still maintaining my 8:00 pace in spite of how I felt. When I finally got to the last turn around I knew I was 3.25 miles, more or less, from the finish and decided that I had something left to give. Pushed as hard as I could on the 0.66 mile climb back up to the high point of the run and then when I got to the 2.6 mile down hill I just ran as hard as I could. Passed a lot of people in this section, including one guy who looked really strong with about 0.4 miles left to go. He ran with me and I was afraid that he was going to outkick me to the finish and almost gave up and let him but instead gritted my teeth and went as hard as I could and was able to finish with pretty much nothing left in the tank. 5:27 flat for this race. 30ish swim, 3:09ish bike, 1:40ish run.

This was one cool weekend. This is probably the best run race that I have ever participated in, even with the logistics of four races in three days. everything was organized, efficient and easy for the racers. They fed you good food after every race (I spent $11 total on food the whole weekend and that was on the drive down and the drive home). The course is unbelievably beautiful. I can't recommend this enough. This race is a real gem in the US triathlon scene. I amazed that it doesn't have the cult status of Wildflower or Alcatraz or some of the other must do races. It is just that good.
2014-05-19 10:10 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Hey peeps!

I just finished my RR from yesterday - summary version: I rocked it But today I have a screaming headache and I have to get some work done so I have to go back tonight and read up on the 3 pages I missed and check out Jason and Randy's awesome (I'm assuming) performances.

Carry on.
2014-05-19 10:10 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, everyone!  Tried to post a couple of times over the weekend but kept getting weird SQL Server errors from BT...oh, well.

Saturday's Masters session went great...got in about 4km of swimming plus the WU and CD.  The wheels started to come off a bit at the end and my legs were cramping something fierce at the end every time I pushed off the wall. 

Sunday was a practice tri...1K swim TT in my wetsuit, ~20 bike just below my target Oly pace, then 2 mile run at target Oly pace then a small run CD.  Felt awesome the whole time, even with crazy tired arms (I love me some wetsuit!!!).

Randy and Jason - great races over the weekend.  RR or it didn't happen.  :-)

2014-05-19 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Jason, that's insane. Absolutely amazing job on all of it. What a great accomplishment. That's a big one right there and it sounds like you killed it. I can't believe you were able to give it an extra push at the end like that too. Sounds like you planned perfectly for all of it. Congratulations on a great race... and then another one... and another one... and one last one. Insane.
2014-05-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Name: Jamie/WoodrowCall

Story: I'm 34, which means I just jumped up to the 35-39 AG, and live in Greenville, SC. However, I'll be moving to the Memphis area in June, which I'm excited about. I was never a runner, much less a swim/biker for most of my life; I considered myself active, but was never a guy who specifically exercised. I got into triathlon a couple years ago, after training for the Savannah RnR HM with some friends. I started with a local sprint, but caught the tri-bug pretty quickly after completing that race. Since then, I've done a good many sprints, a few Olympics, a couple HIM's and IM Lousiville.

Family: I've got a girlfriend who's also an Ironman, along with my Golden Retriever, Gus.

Training: Training is going well for this season, although I'm definitely feeling it more than I did in season's past. I think my fitness level is allowing me to push myself more than I was able to before.

Weight loss/gain: Weight has been a funny thing: if you'd asked me before I started running, I wouldn't have said I was overweight, or not much, at least. However, since I started running, I've lost about 30 pounds. I'm about 160 now, which is nice. I've been happy that my weight stayed roughly the same after Louisville, with considerably less training volume.

2013 races: Last season, I did 4 Sprints, an Olympic, two HIMs, and one IM. I got my butt kicked by IM Louisviile, as Randy & Jason know, so I'm looking for redemption this season. I did make some pretty good strides toward the end of the season as far as speed goes, in all three disciplines, so I'd like to improve on that this season.

2014: A-Race is IM Chattanooga. Everything else is a distant 2nd...I completed the Rev3 AG Championship and a local sprint race, and I'll race IM Raleigh 70.3 in June, which I did last year and enjoyed. I'll do some local sprints that I've done the past couple of years, but my main focus is definitely Chattanooga. Of course, I'll be looking at races in and around the Memphis area, which will be new to me.

Why I'll make a good apprentice: I hate the word mentee...it's not a real thing haha. I know just a little bit about triathlon training after doing it for a couple years, but there's still a ton I don't know, and I love to learn new things. Once training gets going, I'm fully committed, so I'll be a solid contributor to the group once it gets going.
2014-05-19 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Triple-T, the 'short' synopsis:

I don't have any of my times for any race. They were available on site with one of the coolest timing systems/results computer that you have ever seen but I was more worried about survival. Having the time from the race I just finished wasn't going to change what I did for the next one so I pretty much ignored the results for the entire weekend.

The drive down took about an hour longer than I expected and I was starting to worry about making it before registration closed. Arrived at around 3:45 for the 5:00 race. Got my stuff. Racked my bike. Talked to some people. Learned some logistics.

Friday 5:00 PM Race: 250 M swim (think it was longer)-just over 5 minutes. 3.6 mile bike-pushed 280+watts for much of this-11minutes? 1 mile run-pushed to edge of what I could do-around 6:20?

Saturday 7:30 AM, conventional Olympic: Air was 38 degrees at the start. 1500 M swim, went ok-no idea of my time. Long T1 to put on warm clothes--good decision-shuld have put on more. 23.8 mile bike--somewhere in the low 1:20 range--lots of hills. 6.55 mile run up "Lamp Black Bridle trail"-around 47 minutes (This trail is 2.6 miles up hill, 0.65 miles steep downhill and then turn around and run back. Killer hard trail.) I want to say that I did this whole race in the mid to high 2 hour 30 minute range.

Saturday 3:00 PM, Olympic done as Bike-Swim-Run: Bike 25.5? miles--tough, tough, tough-not sure of my time yet. It was still cold so I wore sleeves and gloves and would not have minded another layer. Swim--now this was fun-trying to get in to the wetsuit as fast as possible--actually I felt really great in the water-apparently hamstring cramps are quite common in this format. Run--same run trail--this is survival at this point. I think I was about 2 minutes slower over the run that in the morning--not too bad for the additional fatigue. Not sure of my total time on this one. One thing I did different from usual is I went with all non-caffeinated nutrition for this one because I wanted to be able to get to sleep early in prep for Sunday.

Total time as of end of Saturday's races was right at 5 hours 39ish minutes which put me in 37th place overall. Not sure out of how many, but again I was more concerned with survival than I was with placement.

Sunday: Actually felt pretty good getting out of bed. Surprisingly good. 37 degree air temperature was really cold. Race was about 20 minutes late getting started--apparently this is typical for day three, a little bit more casual start and that is ok. Swim--best swim of the weekend---felt good--drafted off some faster people--conserved some energy. T1--even more warm clothes this time--some racers did not do this and regretted it horribly. Bike-56+ miles, freezing to start, even with all of my layers on. The first half of this bike is brutal--28 miles of steep climbs and scary-fast downhills. The second half, while not easy, is much easier than the first half. Run-felt remarkably good. This run is two laps of the same trail. First lap I tried to keep it at 8:00 pace on the uphills (not always successfully) and under 8:00 on the downhills. Wanted to walk very badly but I was afraid if I started walking that I would have a very hard time running again. Second lap for the run I felt like death on the 2.6 miles up hill but was still maintaining my 8:00 pace in spite of how I felt. When I finally got to the last turn around I knew I was 3.25 miles, more or less, from the finish and decided that I had something left to give. Pushed as hard as I could on the 0.66 mile climb back up to the high point of the run and then when I got to the 2.6 mile down hill I just ran as hard as I could. Passed a lot of people in this section, including one guy who looked really strong with about 0.4 miles left to go. He ran with me and I was afraid that he was going to outkick me to the finish and almost gave up and let him but instead gritted my teeth and went as hard as I could and was able to finish with pretty much nothing left in the tank. 5:27 flat for this race. 30ish swim, 3:09ish bike, 1:40ish run.

This was one cool weekend. This is probably the best run race that I have ever participated in, even with the logistics of four races in three days. everything was organized, efficient and easy for the racers. They fed you good food after every race (I spent $11 total on food the whole weekend and that was on the drive down and the drive home). The course is unbelievably beautiful. I can't recommend this enough. This race is a real gem in the US triathlon scene. I amazed that it doesn't have the cult status of Wildflower or Alcatraz or some of the other must do races. It is just that good.

That definitely sounds epic! It's amazing how pushing yourself can feel when you're near your limit and running on an empty tank. I was thinking this as I walked back to transition on Sunday. I just finished my race, and I was clapping for people who were still finishing, and I could completely relate to how they were feeling at the end. You know it's close, but you're just spent and you need things to be over!
2014-05-19 10:35 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-epic is probably an understatement. Outstanding job.....always impressed what you young fast guys can do! Hope Coach is taking it easy on you this week.

2014-05-19 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
LSD Run yesterday 7 miles at 135 HR felt great and could have went all day

15 weeks till my A race 70.3 Big George Lake George, NY

Only 5 weeks till school gets out and serious training begins.

Hopefully the rain will hold off and I will be able to get the bike out on the rode tonight if not in the basement I will be!!

2014-05-19 11:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
South Alabama

Race report from the weekend. Short version: why does this hurt so much?...blah...blah...blah....why can't I be faster....blah...blah.....blah....I like post race beer....yada...yada....yada

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=516507&posts=1#M4998153

2014-05-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hey peeps! I just finished my RR from yesterday - summary version: I rocked it But today I have a screaming headache and I have to get some work done so I have to go back tonight and read up on the 3 pages I missed and check out Jason and Randy's awesome (I'm assuming) performances. Carry on.

Randee-read the report....great job. Nice gains from last year.

2014-05-19 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This morning I did my last workout with any sort of intensity before the HM next weekend.  5 x 1k @ T pace with 60s recovery.  It felt good and I was a little bit faster than the pace targets from my coach.  A nice little confidence boost before the race.

2014-05-19 12:18 PM

If your group is still open to first timers, I'd love to join a group.

I am a 47 year old man, married for 24 years. Father of four, 22, 19, 17, & 13.

One year ago I was tipping the scales at 244. I stand 5'6", so I was little rotund. My oldest came home from college for spring break and said, "Dad, you need to get your weight under control. Let's train together this summer for a Marathon." My boys are both athletes, and there was no way I could run with him for 26+ miles. But I agreed to train with him, I, for a half marathon, he for a full marathon. My goal, finish before he did!

One week before the Columbus Marathon, he called me and said, "Dad, you're doing great!" (I had lost 25 pounds) "But I know you, and if you don't have something to work toward, you're going to put that weight right back on. So, next year, let's do the Chicago Triathlon."

Not being one to let a challenge go, I bought a swim pass and a bike, and I found this website. I have since lost another 10 pounds and expect to be below 200 before the Chicago Triathlon in August.

I plan to do two sprints before then, and I will be running the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon in July. I have never considered myself much of an athlete, but this endurance sport stuff has really gotten under my skin, and I am enjoying every minute of it... (No I'm not, but I won't let myself believe it!)

Anyway, if there's room, I'd love to be part of a group!

Paul
Lewis Center, OH
2014-05-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: PaulPerger

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Jason, that sounds like a painful albeit awesome weekend, four races in three days is quite an accomplishment.

Its great reading everyones bios and getting to know their story, looks like we have a very busy group this season.

Here's the link to my RR from this weekend

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Looking back on it I PR'd every leg and really can't be happier with it, I did 14 Miles yesterday and my legs are scorched today 10 more days of tough training for Boise and then bring on the taper.

2014-05-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: PaulPerger

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by PaulPerger If your group is still open to first timers, I'd love to join a group. I am a 47 year old man, married for 24 years. Father of four, 22, 19, 17, & 13. One year ago I was tipping the scales at 244. I stand 5'6", so I was little rotund. My oldest came home from college for spring break and said, "Dad, you need to get your weight under control. Let's train together this summer for a Marathon." My boys are both athletes, and there was no way I could run with him for 26+ miles. But I agreed to train with him, I, for a half marathon, he for a full marathon. My goal, finish before he did! One week before the Columbus Marathon, he called me and said, "Dad, you're doing great!" (I had lost 25 pounds) "But I know you, and if you don't have something to work toward, you're going to put that weight right back on. So, next year, let's do the Chicago Triathlon." Not being one to let a challenge go, I bought a swim pass and a bike, and I found this website. I have since lost another 10 pounds and expect to be below 200 before the Chicago Triathlon in August. I plan to do two sprints before then, and I will be running the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon in July. I have never considered myself much of an athlete, but this endurance sport stuff has really gotten under my skin, and I am enjoying every minute of it... (No I'm not, but I won't let myself believe it!) Anyway, if there's room, I'd love to be part of a group! Paul Lewis Center, OH

Paul-sorry but we can't take people from Ohio. Jason is from Michigan and early on made it clear that we would not accept people from Ohio on the off chance that they may have some relationship, no matter how small, to The Ohio State University.

Kidding of course. Great to have you. Quite a journey you have taken over the last year. Well done!

2014-05-19 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow, just did a count and our group stands at 20. I'm going to mark the group as closed but we really don't have a hard and fast number. We may add a couple of stragglers but don't want to over do it.  I'll try to post a list of everyone later. 

2014-05-19 3:55 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by slornow

Paul-sorry but we can't take people from Ohio. Jason is from Michigan and early on made it clear that we would not accept people from Ohio on the off chance that they may have some relationship, no matter how small, to The Ohio State University.

Kidding of course. Great to have you. Quite a journey you have taken over the last year. Well done!

Hey now...those are fighting words!!!

Yours truly was born and raised in central Ohio AND is a graduate of THE Ohio State University.

I guess I somehow snuck in a year ago without Jason ever knowing.

Paul...welcome to the group!!

Edited by glfprncs 2014-05-19 4:22 PM
2014-05-19 7:24 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabesfaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Jason-

That is 10 kinds of crazy! Wow, sounds like a truly epic weekend. Really good to see how well you executed after some of those tough training weeks. Fun to watch from a distance. (Distance was the key word there)

Randy-

OA podium!!! Man, starting off with a bang for the season.

Mike-

Jumping into the group with OA 2nd and AG win...wow! The summer group is picking up where the winter group left off.

Must be good mentoring...

Edited by 43YORook 2014-05-19 7:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19690 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.