BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by stephsprint Hello, I'm Stephanie. I'm trying to build some kind of base for the season. I live in Miami. I have 8 weeks until Tri-camp in Tuscon so I'm working on my consistency. I also need to lose 20 to 30lbs. Working on that. I have a husband who is a marathoner and now an ultra-marathoner. Cheers!

Welcome! The crew at CTS here in Tucson is wonderful

2014-01-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville Man I had a rough run this morning, to the point of wondering why I'm doing this sport. I'm on my third week of "official" training for my first Half of the year. I did a really tough run last night. The plan was 45 minutes at a tempo pace, and it went pretty well. Tons of hills, and wound up running about 5 miles at 9:17/mile, which for me, on hills, is quite fast, but I did wind up getting lost. So I wound up doing about an extra ten minutes. But it was this morning that I felt it when I got up early to run again. And I'm just sick of the cold and dark. The first five minutes this morning just hurt. My foot was killing me, my hips were in pain, all just general muscle soreness, so nothing of concern, but after about 10 minutes it all went away. I still wasn't really thrilled about being out there though. I dunno, hopefully it was just one of those days. Its WAAAAAAY too early in the season for burn out! It may be trying to adjust to heavy training and working full time. I've been out of work for a year and a half, and part of that time doing doing part time consulting work from home so I had a ton more free time. The last job I had was super flexible, so I could come in a bit later instead of waking up and the butt crack of dawn, or I could extend my lunch and workout over lunch. This rigidity is not something I've ever had to deal with before. Not that I'm complaining about having a job!!! Just a new obstacle.

So, are you in, or entering a recovery week?

High volume weeks can leave me feeling a little burnt out. Recovery weeks always seem to come just in time!

Also, if you're really feeling it, take an extra day or two off during a recovery week. You won't REALLY affect your overall training, and recovering mentally is just as important as recovering physically.

2014-01-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by stephsprint Hello, I'm Stephanie. I'm trying to build some kind of base for the season. I live in Miami. I have 8 weeks until Tri-camp in Tuscon so I'm working on my consistency. I also need to lose 20 to 30lbs. Working on that. I have a husband who is a marathoner and now an ultra-marathoner. Cheers!

Welcome! The crew at CTS here in Tucson is wonderful

I can't wait! I'm really out-of-shape, but it's a 50th birthday present to me. It is motivating me to develop some basic fitness.

2014-01-17 8:22 PM

Arden, North Carolina

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville Man I had a rough run this morning, to the point of wondering why I'm doing this sport. I'm on my third week of "official" training for my first Half of the year. I did a really tough run last night. The plan was 45 minutes at a tempo pace, and it went pretty well. Tons of hills, and wound up running about 5 miles at 9:17/mile, which for me, on hills, is quite fast, but I did wind up getting lost. So I wound up doing about an extra ten minutes. But it was this morning that I felt it when I got up early to run again. And I'm just sick of the cold and dark. The first five minutes this morning just hurt. My foot was killing me, my hips were in pain, all just general muscle soreness, so nothing of concern, but after about 10 minutes it all went away. I still wasn't really thrilled about being out there though. I dunno, hopefully it was just one of those days. Its WAAAAAAY too early in the season for burn out! It may be trying to adjust to heavy training and working full time. I've been out of work for a year and a half, and part of that time doing doing part time consulting work from home so I had a ton more free time. The last job I had was super flexible, so I could come in a bit later instead of waking up and the butt crack of dawn, or I could extend my lunch and workout over lunch. This rigidity is not something I've ever had to deal with before. Not that I'm complaining about having a job!!! Just a new obstacle.

So, are you in, or entering a recovery week?

High volume weeks can leave me feeling a little burnt out. Recovery weeks always seem to come just in time!

Also, if you're really feeling it, take an extra day or two off during a recovery week. You won't REALLY affect your overall training, and recovering mentally is just as important as recovering physically.

I'm in the midst of my highest week so far. I have a recovery week next week. I think it was just a couple tough runs in a row, and still getting used to the early wake ups. I've also added an extra run so I was used to 9x a week in the past, so now I'm doing 10x a week, with the fourth run. So i'm having early wake ups 4 days a week instead of 3.
So I've also moved one of my swims to the weekend so I get an extra day to not have to wake up early. Hopefully that helps me.
I might take your advice and cut another workout out to get more rest next week. I got my sufferfest ride in tonight and had no problem with that, so hopefully it was just a temporary feeling
2014-01-18 1:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Kicking off the weekend with a nice trainer ride. 2:45 @ 302 NP.

2014-01-20 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Today kicked off with me forgetting my card to get into the gym locker rooms for a run at lunch, so this evening will now be a brick workout instead of just an hour on the bike :-(

what's on the cards for everyone else?

How were the weekends workouts?  I did an 8 mile run Friday night and transferred my short Sunday run to 3 hours walking around the DC sights, carrying the kids etc :-)  not sure what was harder.

2014-01-20 10:06 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dewybuck

Today kicked off with me forgetting my card to get into the gym locker rooms for a run at lunch, so this evening will now be a brick workout instead of just an hour on the bike :-(

How were the weekends workouts?  I did an 8 mile run Friday night and transferred my short Sunday run to 3 hours walking around the DC sights, carrying the kids etc :-)  not sure what was harder.

Bummer. I had an MRI this morning (possible stress fracture) so I missed my swim. I'll be on the trainer tonight, though!

This weekend was AWESOME. I had a two hour session on a track bike learning to ride at the Velodrome in LA. Then, I got to take MY bike out for some aero testing! Full write-up of that coming soon!

2014-01-20 10:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Bummer. I had an MRI this morning (possible stress fracture) so I missed my swim. I'll be on the trainer tonight, though!

This weekend was AWESOME. I had a two hour session on a track bike learning to ride at the Velodrome in LA. Then, I got to take MY bike out for some aero testing! Full write-up of that coming soon!

What's happening going forward with that s.f. potential?

2014-01-20 10:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

What's happening going forward with that s.f. potential?

I should know today if it's a sf or not.

The plan is to keep swimming and riding, and replace runs with rides or elliptical or water running - as long as they are pain-free. Of course, this will be discussed with a doctor to make sure I'm on the right track. 

If it's not an sf, ease into running, see if the pain stays or goes, and assess as I go, I think.

2014-01-20 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

I saw the twitter post....something about an award for the worst Aero position??? 

2014-01-20 12:12 PM

User image

Pro

I saw the twitter post....something about an award for the worst Aero position??? 

Yup. I had THE WORST bike position. I had been fit by a local coach. I will not be going back to him!

If anyone's looking into getting a bike fit, I'll recommend a good Retul fitter. 

2014-01-20 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Yup. I had THE WORST bike position. I had been fit by a local coach. I will not be going back to him!

If anyone's looking into getting a bike fit, I'll recommend a good Retul fitter. 

So how noticeable was the ride after adjusting your position?  I was fitted beginning of 2012 and was supposed to go back after a season riding, I feel pretty good, I'm wondering if a re-fit is in order.....

2014-01-21 2:27 PM

User image

Hey guys!!

Quick question. Have you guys ever had Trapezius pain after swimming free-style? I believe is caused by my breathing pattern, not sure.

2014-01-21 2:45 PM

User image

Pro

So how noticeable was the ride after adjusting your position?  I was fitted beginning of 2012 and was supposed to go back after a season riding, I feel pretty good, I'm wondering if a re-fit is in order.....

HUGE difference in ride. Taking it outside for the first time tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes!

2014-01-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: JAGFitness Solutions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JAGFitness Solutions

Hey guys!!

Quick question. Have you guys ever had Trapezius pain after swimming free-style? I believe is caused by my breathing pattern, not sure.

Yes, but it was more because I'd been trying to extend my arms straighter (not very flexible) and/or swimming noticeably more in a session than I had in some time. Anything in particular leading you to think it's breathing pattern?

2014-01-21 3:23 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by JAGFitness Solutions

Hey guys!!

Yes, but it was more because I'd been trying to extend my arms straighter (not very flexible) and/or swimming noticeably more in a session than I had in some time. Anything in particular leading you to think it's breathing pattern?

Yes, but I carry lots of stress/tension/tightness there all the time. So I'm no help

Here's a little help, though:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/stretching-pt-11-mid-back/

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage/self-muscle-massage-pt-12-the-neck/

FWIW - I LOVE that website I linked. It's really helpful in understanding your muscles/tendons/body... and it's written at a level that most athletes can understand. Plus, the photos highlighting what they are talking about are incredibly helpful.

2014-01-22 7:07 AM

User image

St Tammany Parish
Just got back from a long weekend in Austin. Wife ran the 3m 1/2 marathon and set a PR. As for me I took my bike so I didn't end up missing any training days. Rearranged the schedule a bit to accommodate travel but have stayed on tack. Had a hilly bike ride on Saturday and a great 7 mile run on Monday with a few little rolling hills. Going someplace like Austin shows just how incredibly flat all of my training is.
2014-01-22 9:02 AM
in reply to: WyattEarp

Arden, North Carolina
ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Another running injury for me! So frustrating. I've had this calf thing going back till august, where it completely derailed what was looking like my best oly performance of my life. I initially injured it about 10 days before the race. Rested for a few days and tried again, made it about 3/10 of a mile before calling it quits. This was about a week before the race. So I rested the entire week and it felt ok on race day.
Had my best oly swim, crushed by best oly bike, and 1/4 of the way through the run was having my best run, until it popped. At that point I knew it was over(my goal, not the race). A combination of walking, hopping, and limping for the remaining 4ish miles I finished. Still set a PR despite that run, but anyway. Fast forward 5 months to yesterday...
I thought the injury was gone. Well, yesterday during a 30 minute, SLOW run I felt more calf pain building up. I first felt it about half way through and it never really got worse, so i just kept pushing. After I finished it started hurting much more, to the point that I couldn't put any weight on the balls of my feet, I had no problem standing on it normally though.

I don't know if it's related to the previous injury, it feels lower, and in the soleus rather than the gastroc. I have a half in May, that I'm starting to wonder if I should call it. Mainly because my biggest goal is a full in october and I don't want to blow being able to train for that by pushing for the half.

I'm on a recovery week so I'm just going to quit running for the week, and do a lot of ice, heat, stretching and rolling and see how it goes. Also thinking about doing the tour of sufferlandria to also help keep me distracted from trying to run. I figure that tour will destroy me enough that I"ll have no desire to run.

oh well, done complaining.
2014-01-22 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Another running injury for me! So frustrating. I've had this calf thing going back till august, where it completely derailed what was looking like my best oly performance of my life. I initially injured it about 10 days before the race. Rested for a few days and tried again, made it about 3/10 of a mile before calling it quits. This was about a week before the race. So I rested the entire week and it felt ok on race day. Had my best oly swim, crushed by best oly bike, and 1/4 of the way through the run was having my best run, until it popped. At that point I knew it was over(my goal, not the race). A combination of walking, hopping, and limping for the remaining 4ish miles I finished. Still set a PR despite that run, but anyway. Fast forward 5 months to yesterday... I thought the injury was gone. Well, yesterday during a 30 minute, SLOW run I felt more calf pain building up. I first felt it about half way through and it never really got worse, so i just kept pushing. After I finished it started hurting much more, to the point that I couldn't put any weight on the balls of my feet, I had no problem standing on it normally though. I don't know if it's related to the previous injury, it feels lower, and in the soleus rather than the gastroc. I have a half in May, that I'm starting to wonder if I should call it. Mainly because my biggest goal is a full in october and I don't want to blow being able to train for that by pushing for the half. I'm on a recovery week so I'm just going to quit running for the week, and do a lot of ice, heat, stretching and rolling and see how it goes. Also thinking about doing the tour of sufferlandria to also help keep me distracted from trying to run. I figure that tour will destroy me enough that I"ll have no desire to run. oh well, done complaining.
Dude, that's a huge bummer.  I feel you pain, I'm always suffering from calf attacks and was too stubborn to stop and walk when I get calf tightness issues on a run, after my last issue thanksgiving 2012 that took me out of a HM I started to heed any calf tightness.  I saw a PT after that last bad calf attack and I was never put so through much pain in my life, but I did learn a lot about self massage and pressure point therapy from him.  This year I took it really slow on building my runs and have had to do a lot of self PT whenever I felt something sneaking up (which seems like every other week fro me!)

2014-01-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: WyattEarp

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by WyattEarp Just got back from a long weekend in Austin. Wife ran the 3m 1/2 marathon and set a PR. As for me I took my bike so I didn't end up missing any training days. Rearranged the schedule a bit to accommodate travel but have stayed on tack. Had a hilly bike ride on Saturday and a great 7 mile run on Monday with a few little rolling hills. Going someplace like Austin shows just how incredibly flat all of my training is.
Sweet, congrats on the PR.  I saw the 3m HM in RW mag and thought it was be a cool even tot do someday.

2014-01-22 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

HUGE difference in ride. Taking it outside for the first time tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes!

Do you have before and after pix? Would be interesting to see the difference.  I'm saving up my Paypal pennies to get a professional fitting on my new ride, I think I need to get better aerobars though as the 3T Aura is limited in adjustability.

2014-01-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I'm finally free of the work related commitments of the past week. I did a nice 65' trainer session last night and ran with the dog for 5.4 miles this morning in the 42F windy weather.  I hate this weather, such a fine line in overdressing.  I have to except the fact that I will be cold for 2 miles before I normalize, summer is so much easier with shoes, shorts and go!

Getting the bike/run training in line this week then will start incorporating swimming into the mix next week.

2014-01-22 1:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Do you have before and after pix? Would be interesting to see the difference.  I'm saving up my Paypal pennies to get a professional fitting on my new ride, I think I need to get better aerobars though as the 3T Aura is limited in adjustability.

I will in about a week.

2014-01-22 1:59 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Donto

I'm finally free of the work related commitments of the past week. I did a nice 65' trainer session last night and ran with the dog for 5.4 miles this morning in the 42F windy weather.  I hate this weather, such a fine line in overdressing.  I have to except the fact that I will be cold for 2 miles before I normalize, summer is so much easier with shoes, shorts and go!

Getting the bike/run training in line this week then will start incorporating swimming into the mix next week.

I'm planning to see someone if this calf thing doesn't feel better after a week or so of no running.
And i know exactly how you feel about dressing for cold. It's frustrating. I'm the same way. Do I want to be cold now and comfortable later, or comfortable now, and sweating buckets later. Sometimes I go to the dreadmill at the Y just to avoid having to wear so much, but then I sweat even more there, and it adds so much more time than just running out the front door.

I just hate january. Bring on the spring
2014-01-22 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Awhile back I brought up CSS or Critical Swim Speed.  I found a spreadsheet from the MIT Tri team website and fine tuned it a bit for my liking and added some more info to it.  If anyone wants it see attached.

Attachments
----------------
CSS_calculator.xlsx (13KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98883 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16088 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29560 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.