General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to: Clean your drivetrain thoroughly! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-19 6:50 PM

Master
Subject: How to: Clean your drivetrain thoroughly!
Well here we go, I was cleaning a bike (not mine) chain and thought I'd snap some pics to share with you guys. A dirty bike train can make for a ton of noise, ugly shifting, and will cause very premature death of your components (derailleurs, cassette, chain, and crank). Keeping it clean something that you can do very easily with a very basic set of stuff (won't even call them tools), 1/2 hour of your time, and some good quality patience. I assure you that no one will spend as much time as your baby as you will so this is way better than taking it to the shop, plus you get to keep a few dollars in your pocket to buy other fun toys.

Time:
1/2 hour

Difficulty
I'd say 1 out of 5 on the scale I just invented

What you need
1 Rag
Paper towels
10 swabs
Chain Lube

Why you do it
Keep your bike running smoothly
Keep drivetrain noise down
Maintenance and ensuring your bike has a nice long life

When you do it
Obviously this is somewhat dependent on how much you ride and if you ride in damp conditions often or not. Some folks say every 1000 miles. I don' think that's often enough. I would tend to do this once every 2-3 months or whenever the chain looks nasty or it gets noisy

How to do it

Step 1: Getting Started
Get your bike in a position that you can work on it. If you have a work stand that's great, if you don't just flip your bike over. If you are flipping your bike over just take care to do it on a friendly surface if possible and take care not to smash your cyclometer if you have one

Here are the areas we'll be working on:

1: The front chainrings
2: The chain
3: The little plastic ring #1
4: The little plastic ring #2
5: The rear cassette (we'll be removing the rear wheel and working with it off the bike)

Step 2: Clean the front
One note: you can use a degreaser type product but I honestly just prefer to clean stuff dry with a rag. Don't be lazy. You have to touch each tooth to get stuff clean, there is nothing magic you can just spray on there and then lightly hit and assume it will be clean.

It's kind of a catch-22 here. We can work on the front chainring and/or the rear cassette getting them clean first or we can work on the chain. Either way, you'll likely have some contamination from the clean one to the dirty one. I like to go ahead and work on chainring/cassette (#1 and #5 respectively).

So anyways, start cleaning up the front rings. Whether you have a double or a triple, the outside ring and inside ring should be easier to clean since you can get in there and attack with a rag. Here's a picture to show you what we're cleaning. We basically want to clean the teeth on each of the chain rings. Now remember, we want to clean BOTH sides of each of these. Don't be shy. Use a combination of rags where you can fit it and then use the swabs for the outside of the middle chain ring (triple) or inner chain ring (double).

As you can see, we have a triple on this bike and the chain is on the middle ring (that's the toughest part to clean). Depending on your crankset there may be an easier place to get access. Do what works best. Don't forget that you can simply turn the crank pedals if you find a good spot and that you can shift gears to get the chain on the ring you are cleaning.

Step 3: Clean the back
Now that you've got the front all clean time to get on going with the back. In the rear we want to clean up the 2 rubber geared rings in the derailleur and the rear cassette. For the geared rings, I like to hold a rag on the exposed part (the part that doesn't have the chain on it) and then spin the crank set with my other hand to get all the gunk off. What's not shown in the image below is my other hand spinning the crankset so I can clean the whole thing. Once you remove the wheel, you can do the other side with more ease.

Step 4: Clean the cassette
Remove your wheel from the bike and set it nicely on the ground with the cassette facing up at you. What you want to do is take your rag and basically clean the teeth of each ring as well as clean in between the cassette rings. For cleaning the teeth, it's pretty similar to the front: rags + swabs. For in between, I like to take the rag and insert a part of it in between each of the cassette rings and then basically move the rag so that it cleans AND move the cassette a little bit. Keep doing it until the spun the cassette around a few times (hard to explain but I hope that makes it clear). Here's a picture:

Do this for each of the space in between. Before you know it you're cassette will be sparkling

Step 5: Dealing with the chain
Now that you're done with the cassette, throw the wheel back on the bike.

Cleaning the chain and then lubing it is the final step. This is pretty important because the chain is obviously a critical part with lots of little moving links. We want to clean the whole thing and the lube it up. What we don't want to do is lube the heck out of everything (front chain rings, cassette, etc, etc) because lube attracts dust and you'll be back at square 1.

Cleaning is pretty simple. You can buy a chain cleaning tool but, again, I tend to just use a rag. It's a 2 hand job. One hand holds a rag around the chain and the other spins the crankset to get the chain to move through the towel.

Depending on how dirty your dirty your chain is, you might need to keep finding clean parts of the rag. Keep going until she sparkles.

Now let's lubeeee it up
Lubing it up is pretty simple. I prefer lube that comes with a little spout as opposed to the aersol cans (yes this statement is hilarious). I like it better because it gives you more control and you don't just spray it all over the place and attract all kinds of dirt to your bike. Simple take the bottle and again with one hand apply the lube by squeezing the bottle gently while the other hand spins the crankset so you can lube the whole chain. Here's a picture (pretend the cap isn't on the bottle!)

After applying the lube, I let it sit for at least 5 minutes then it's time to remove the excess. We do that the same way that we clean the chain except this time, use the clean paper towels.

Run the chain a bit by pedaling with your hands and see how it sounds and acts. If it's still a bit noisy you can do the chain lubing again.

Voila, that's it. Make sure your wheel is on tight and your brake is now back on securely flip her over and get out there for some miles.

2009-07-19 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2294791

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: How to: Clean your drivetrain thoroughly!
Thanks for the post, that's good stuff.
2009-07-19 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
you know what I haven't cleaned my drive train in about a year.  Thanks for reminding me to do this tomorrow before I head out for a ride.

Great post as well, very informative pictures.
2009-07-19 9:24 PM

User image

New user
VA
Thank you very much.  Great, informative post.  Thank for the reminder that I don't do enough bike maintenance....Cool
2009-07-20 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
GREAT post!!!

IF... you happen to have access to a compressor (mine is right next to my workbench)... get a nozzle attachement and when you get finished with the first cleaning of the chain (I use a chain cleaning tool... most of them are pretty good, but the Park Tool is what I use.)

Once you clean the chain with the tool, take a rag and place it behind the chain, and with the compressor, shoot air straight down through the chain...  you will be AMAZED at the amount of dirt that comes out...

At that point, move on to lubing the chain!
2009-07-20 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
When I clean my drivetrain, I dismantle the front chainrings and the rear cassette and clean the rings/cogs individually.  Is that wrong?  (I've never read anything -- it's just what 'seems natural'.)

2009-07-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2295500

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Experior - 2009-07-20 9:37 AM When I clean my drivetrain, I dismantle the front chainrings and the rear cassette and clean the rings/cogs individually.  Is that wrong?  (I've never read anything -- it's just what 'seems natural'.)

Not wrong, but a lot of work.  I find if you clean off the drive train after every ride (or at least every other), you can keep things running pretty smoothly.  I usually take off the rear wheel, and use a chain cleaning tool along with a toothbrush for the teeth that need cleaning.  It takes about 10 minutes, and keeps things pretty clean overall.  Once a year, when I overhaul the bike, I will do what you describe, but it is usually not too dirty at that point.
2009-07-20 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Very informative, thank you so much!
2009-07-20 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice. Not how I prefer to do it but for someone who might not already have their own preferred methode this will work great.

The only thing I would add or think about changing with your method is removing the chain to lube it. That way you do not end up with lube where you do not want it as by the time you reinstall the chain you already have it lubed and wiped of any excess.

Thanks for posting!
2009-07-20 2:23 PM

Master
Glad it helps some folks!

ball6135 - 2009-07-20 8:51 AM GREAT post!!!

IF... you happen to have access to a compressor (mine is right next to my workbench)... get a nozzle attachement and when you get finished with the first cleaning of the chain (I use a chain cleaning tool... most of them are pretty good, but the Park Tool is what I use.)

Once you clean the chain with the tool, take a rag and place it behind the chain, and with the compressor, shoot air straight down through the chain...  you will be AMAZED at the amount of dirt that comes out...

At that point, move on to lubing the chain!
great tip! Didn't have my compressor with me where i was working

Experior - 2009-07-20 9:37 AM When I clean my drivetrain, I dismantle the front chainrings and the rear cassette and clean the rings/cogs individually.  Is that wrong?  (I've never read anything -- it's just what 'seems natural'.)
gearboy's hit it on the head I think. That's definitely not wrong, just a lot of work. I felt this write up would be most helpful because you don't need special tools like a chain whip and the knowledge to remove/reinstall you cassette. Also, with this method, you should be able to to get it pretty clean.

bel83 - 2009-07-20 12:02 PM Nice. Not how I prefer to do it but for someone who might not already have their own preferred methode this will work great.

The only thing I would add or think about changing with your method is removing the chain to lube it. That way you do not end up with lube where you do not want it as by the time you reinstall the chain you already have it lubed and wiped of any excess.

Thanks for posting!
Until you make a write up this shall be the ONLY way to clean your drivetrain Laughing. Just joshing, many ways to skin a cat (never understood this expression, why skin a cat...but I digress). Would love to hear how you do it.

2009-07-20 2:35 PM

Pro
yep,

great write up.  I hope Marama daddy read this.  I think you might wanna shoot him a message or I can on your behalf.  I love these write ups and should sticky them at the beginning with a folder of all the threads.

Rick (Daremo) did a tutorial on how to replacing a crankset and it was as detailed as this.

Great work.

2009-07-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2296694

Master
Dlaxman31 - 2009-07-20 3:35 PM

great write up.  I hope Marama daddy read this.  I think you might wanna shoot him a message or I can on your behalf.  I love these write ups and should sticky them at the beginning with a folder of all the threads.

Rick (Daremo) did a tutorial on how to replacing a crankset and it was as detailed as this.

Great work.

Thanks! I would be honored to have a stickied thread I hope to do more of these. It's always good to know what's going on to save a few bucks and be more likely to solve a problem if it happens out there on a ride. If you would PM him on my behalf, that would be great!

Perhaps BT might consider a forum for how-tos (that holds how-to's only). When someone writes one then a mod can move it. I know we have the articles section, but the forums are searchable

Edited by merlin2375 2009-07-20 2:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to: Clean your drivetrain thoroughly! Rss Feed