General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any XTERRA Triathletes here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-25 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: Any XTERRA Triathletes here?
I was wondering if any of you here tri off-road and see if/what difference in training you would recommend. 

2009-02-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1981469

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-25 1:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Any XTERRA Triathletes here?
Talk to PirateGirl as she is an XTERRA queen.  I would spend mucho time on your mtn bike and trail running.  The swim is no different.
2009-02-25 2:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Hey, welcome.

I focus on XTERRA races with a few road tri's here and there. Off road run training isn't much different from on road. Try to get a trail run in once a week, work on foot placement and a shorter stride in the rough stuff.

For bike training, I would recommend getting a set of road wheels for your mountain bike and do the majority of your mileage on the road. This way you can dictate the workout instead of the terrain (for the most part). Plus, this saves on the normal wear and tear your bike will receive off road. Not to mention the wear and tear on your body. Training on your mountain bike reinforces specificity, train what you race, race what you train...

What XTERRA race(s) are planing on doing? Let us know, someone will probably have done it and will be able to give you race specific advice.

Best of Luck.
2009-02-25 2:48 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Welcome to XTERRA! Which races are you planning on doing?

Do a ton of trails on the mountain bike. The better you are on a mountain bike, the better the race you will have. Sometimes folks jump into XTERRA without having ridden a mountain bike, and never want to do another race again. The XTERRA race itself is not the place to learn. If you have a local race series for mountain biking, consider doing some of those in addition to training rides in preparation for your XTERRA.

On a road bike you can coast and spin your legs and pace yourself easily. On the mountain bike you will need to get used to having your heartrate constantly spiking as you climb technical hills, get up over rocks, etc. It takes some getting used to.

Same thing with the trail running. Get out there and do some trails to get used to looking far ahead, negotiating rocks, etc.

For training, I follow one of the BT Olympic training plans, but substitute the longer rides and runs for mountain biking and trail running. I'll still do some of the rides on the trainer or the road, but the majority is on the trails.

Good luck!

2009-02-25 3:17 PM

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Xterra tris are fun!

The biggest thing is the bike portion. Even if you never run trails, you could probably still run and be fine. The bike, not so much. While it was the funnest part of the race for me, it was definitely an eye opener. to get good, you have to bike trails.

good luck and have fun!

2009-02-25 4:16 PM

Expert
Falls Church, VA

Thanks for all the responses, so it seems like I've got a good idea.  It also seems that the winter of spin classes is actually good for the MTB.  I don't ride on the roads so I do plan to put in a lot of trail time and even expect to make a trip to the location to test out those trails.  I've only been riding a few years, but I've put in a lot of hours on the bike during that time, and usually run a lot with my fiance so I figured I'd tri out an XTERRA.

Other question.. if your starting fitness is better than the beginner oly plan, just start at my current minutes/mileage and increase from there?  At least for the bike and run blocks since I'm already swimming almost 2.5k on my long swims, but that's with rest between segments, warmups, kickboard etc...  Should I just work on improving my pace and reducing rest time on the long one?  From what I hear that's plenty distance. 

I'll be doing the Ex2 XTERRA in Flintstone MD

2009-02-25 4:24 PM

Veteran
Maine
Depending on the race and your experience, I would practice jumping off your bike and pushing it up some steeps or carrying it over rocks. I grew up MBing and BMX racing, yet there are times I had to jump off my bike and push. If you want to be competitive, train at a much higher HR too. The hills are steeper than any hill I've seen on the road.
Also transitions are a little bit different if you want a camelbak or gloves. The run is fun but get use to your ankle turning a few times. Xterra Maine has you running over everything and anything.

Sad note: I just got an email today saying that Xterra Maine is canceled for this year/or longer due to lack of sponsorship. I couldn't do it this year anyway as it's the same weekend as IMLP but was looking forward to it in 2010.
2009-02-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1981934

Elite
Tucson, AZ

stchase34 - 2009-02-25 1:24 PM

Depending on the race and your experience, I would practice jumping off your bike and pushing it up some steeps or carrying it over rocks. I grew up MBing and BMX racing, yet there are times I had to jump off my bike and push.

Oh yeah. I should also mention the people who design some of the XTERRA courses are crazy. What would normally be considered insane in a road tri is perfectly acceptable on an XTERRA course.

Fallen trees blocking the trail (like, oh, a dozen)? Climb over them. This is XTERRA.

Rainfall raise the water level of the lake, flooding the trail run course? Swim the trail run. This is XTERRA.

Boulders between your swim exit and T1? Best learn to scramble over rocks in a wetsuit. This is XTERRA.

Also, carry anything you'll need with you. Aid stations on the bike course can be rare. Be sure you can remove your own wetsuit as there are no wetsuit strippers at XTERRAs. But, they can be fun. Just depends on how you see it.

2009-02-25 6:30 PM

Expert
Falls Church, VA

That actually looks like some fun.. well maybe not running through the flooded stream part.

I don't have to worry about a wetsuit, this location's water is usually warm enough that wetsuits aren't allowed. 

So should there be a cap in some of my distances/times, considering that if I increase my times by 10% on the weeks specified, I'll be eventually running/swimming 2 hours.  Or shoudl I just not worry about that since I'll be putting in some good time so it'll pay off in the end. 

2009-02-25 9:04 PM

Regular
Wilmington
As others have said, the main thing that separates people in an XTERRA is the MTB leg. Ride your MTB a good bit to help with bike handling and technique, although most Xterra courses I have done are not super technical courses. Definitely try to get into a few XC races and do plenty of intervals on the bike to get used to the short burst and accelerations out of corners. I also have to really work on strengthening my lower back, but for me that is more for endurance MTB races that I do but it really helps in Xterra. Also get used to and practice cyclo-cross style dismounting, running with the bike, clearing obstacles, and mounting the bike, you can make up a lot of time in hike-a-bike sections.

2009-02-25 9:30 PM

I competed in a minimally attended Xterra in tx a few years ago and came in last, well someone quit the race and I guess I beat him. But it was by far the most fun event I have raced. I was overweight and undertrained but had signed up and just went for it. Everyone else was fit and there were some pros. When I went to the table to get my packet, the lady jumped, and said "Oh! you are competing tomorrow!...Oh." b/c I was definitely the one out of place there. Seriously, there were 36 really fit people and one fatty. It was comical and I am glad I have a strong self respect not based on my fitness.

I did beat a few people out of the water but quickly got passed by everyone on the bike, which hurts b/c my background is mt biking. I even got passed on the bike by a guy running. I was coming in for the last stretch of the run and came up on a really fit woman, she had gotten lost and I showed her where to go. She ran off like a doe and I kept on plodding along. People tried to encourage me by saying things like, "way to go Big Guy," but didn't understand that that phrase, "Big Guy" should never be actually descriptive.

I finished and had a blast and have an off road tri in my plan for the 1/2 this year.

ganze
2009-02-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1981934

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-26 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1982148

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Bioteknik - 2009-02-25 3:30 PM

So should there be a cap in some of my distances/times, considering that if I increase my times by 10% on the weeks specified, I'll be eventually running/swimming 2 hours.  Or shoudl I just not worry about that since I'll be putting in some good time so it'll pay off in the end. 

The longest an XTERRA will be is 1500 m swim, 30K bike, and 10K run. No need to be going bonkers in training volume for a race that is that distance. That's like following the Ironman training plan for an Olympic distance race. Since the distances are shorter, the high intensity speed work will help.

2009-02-26 5:52 PM

Expert
Greer, SC

I will agree with almost all of the comments on here.  My first tri ever was an XTERRA and I did it last year.  I will say, it was hard, but I had so much fun.  I am totally bummed I can't make it again this year.  I will say to get in a bunch of time on the bike.  The course I did (Uwharrie, NC) gave you everything you can ask for in a mtn. bike ride.  It had steeeeeeeeep, climbs, super fast downhills, root sections, rocky sections, everthing.  Again, the bike was a killer.  Swim was no different.  Run was a little different.  It was kind of hard to get into a rhythm with all of the starting, stopping, jumping, and ducking. 

Best of all, I met some great people.  I had one of the top professionals right next to me in transition and he could tell this was all new to me and even gave me tips to help setup and get through my transitions.  I saw another one of the pros stop and help a guy with a flat. 

Good times, that is what it's all about.

2009-02-26 8:36 PM

Expert
Kansas City, MO

I'll be doing my first XTERRA tri this year - the one in Lincoln, NE on August 15.  Has anyone done it, and if so, how technical is the bike course?

Also, would you recommend using clipless pedals?  I have a set of pedals on my mtn bike that are two sided - one side is clipless, the other is not.  I guess that lets me have the option of either...

2009-02-26 8:36 PM

Expert
Kansas City, MO
double post...

Edited by jcdenton2000 2009-02-26 8:36 PM
2009-02-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1984395

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-02-26 6:52 PM

I will agree with almost all of the comments on here.  My first tri ever was an XTERRA and I did it last year.  I will say, it was hard, but I had so much fun.  I am totally bummed I can't make it again this year.  I will say to get in a bunch of time on the bike.  The course I did (Uwharrie, NC) gave you everything you can ask for in a mtn. bike ride.  It had steeeeeeeeep, climbs, super fast downhills, root sections, rocky sections, everthing.  Again, the bike was a killer.  Swim was no different.  Run was a little different.  It was kind of hard to get into a rhythm with all of the starting, stopping, jumping, and ducking. 

Best of all, I met some great people.  I had one of the top professionals right next to me in transition and he could tell this was all new to me and even gave me tips to help setup and get through my transitions.  I saw another one of the pros stop and help a guy with a flat. 

Good times, that is what it's all about.

Nice, Uwharrie was my first XTERRA race, after a year of road tri's. Epic course, the bike course is one of the tougher ones in the mid atlantic. I hear ya on the run, I don't think it was flat/straight for longer than 50 feet anywhere on the course. FUN FUN FUN. I missed last year, but should make it back this May.
2009-02-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1984319

Expert
Falls Church, VA
PirateGirl - 2009-02-26 6:03 PM

The longest an XTERRA will be is 1500 m swim, 30K bike, and 10K run. No need to be going bonkers in training volume for a race that is that distance. That's like following the Ironman training plan for an Olympic distance race. Since the distances are shorter, the high intensity speed work will help.

cool deal, this course is a 1200 (2 600m laps) swim, 15mile bike, and 5 mile run.

I had been told that if I do a 1 mile non-stop swim for my long workout I'll be fine, and 10 miles is the most I'd need to run (at my current LSD pace, that's about 100 minutes).

So bringng my camelback MULE(I've got a first aid kit, pump, two tubes, extra chain, multitool) sounds like a good idea too.

Thanks for all the help!

2009-02-27 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1984699

Elite
Tucson, AZ
jcdenton2000 - 2009-02-26 5:36 PM

I'll be doing my first XTERRA tri this year - the one in Lincoln, NE on August 15.  Has anyone done it, and if so, how technical is the bike course?

Also, would you recommend using clipless pedals?  I have a set of pedals on my mtn bike that are two sided - one side is clipless, the other is not.  I guess that lets me have the option of either...

I've done most of the western races, so I haven't done NE. But if you do a google search for that particular XTERRA race, you'll often find blogs with race reports.

If you are used to using clipless on a MTB, then go for it. XTERRAs usually  have a lot of climbing where the clipless help. If you are not used to handling obstacles on a MTB with clipless, then go with flats, but get the downhill flats. They are the big square ones with screws sticking out throughout the surface of the pedal. If you wear your running shoes, the screws will grip the bottom of the shoe really well. Just make sure you keep your legs clear of them when taking your foot off the pedal. They are known as "cheese graters."

2009-02-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1985370

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Bioteknik - 2009-02-27 5:58 AM
PirateGirl - 2009-02-26 6:03 PM

cool deal, this course is a 1200 (2 600m laps) swim, 15mile bike, and 5 mile run.

I had been told that if I do a 1 mile non-stop swim for my long workout I'll be fine, and 10 miles is the most I'd need to run (at my current LSD pace, that's about 100 minutes).

So bringng my camelback MULE(I've got a first aid kit, pump, two tubes, extra chain, multitool) sounds like a good idea too.

Thanks for all the help!

I prefer a camelbak in XTERRAs. You don't have much time to take your hand off the bars and fish around for a bottle. The camelbak makes it so much easier to drink when you need to. Just strip it down to the bare bones and take out any stuff you won't need to help save some weight off your back. For races mine has:

• 2 CO2s and CO2 inflater head (the micro one from Genuine Innovations)
  • Pump (always have as back-up in case I use up all the CO2s)
  • tube
  • patch kit with self-adhesive patches (no waiting for glue to dry)
  • tire irons
  • tweezers (easy removal of thorns)
  • boot material (4 inches of old roadie tire)
  • Quick link for chain (a MUST have!)
  • Multi-tool with chain break
  • cell phone

I would take out the chain in yours and replace it with the magic quick link. Chains are heavy to carry around.

2009-02-27 10:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
OMG - I was debating on if I should do the Vashon Island Xterra race and I am sooooo signing up right now!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any XTERRA Triathletes here? Rss Feed