BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ultramike's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-02 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: Ultramike's Group - CLOSED

NAME: Ultramike / Mike

STORY: I'm a 33-year-old software developer, living in Cloverdale, British Columbia, Canada.  I've completed 1 Ironman, with a sub-11 hour finish.  I've also completed 3 marathons and 5 ultramarathons.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm in the middle of a divorce, and I'm engaged and living with my fiance.  I have 2 kids (ages 4 and 8) who live with me on weekends, and my fiance has a 4-year-old who lives with us full time. 

CURRENT TRAINING: My 2008 season will be mostly focussed on running.  My primary goal for the season is to run a 3:10 marathon and qualify for Boston. 

2007 RACES:

- UBC Sprint Triathlon
- Vancouver Half Marathon

- Cultas Lake Olympic Triathlon
- Oliver Half Iron
- Ironman Canada (10:51:53 finish)
- Royal Victoria Marathon

2008 RACES: 

- January: Vancouver New Years Day Fat A$s 50k (done)
- February: Vancouver First Half / Half Marathon 
- March: UBC Sprint Triathlon
- April: Vancouver Sun Run 10k
- May: Vancouver Marathon (Boston attempt #1)
- June: Oliver Half Iron (sub 4:59:59 goal)

The rest of the year will depend what happens in May at the Vancouver Marathon. If I qualify for Boston in May, I plan a summer and fall of Ultrarunning, including a 50 mile trail race and a 100km road race.  If I don't qualify for Boston in May, I'll spend the summer preparing for the Royal Victoria Marathon in October.

WEIGHTLOSS: In 2001, I weighed 290 pounds.  I joined Weight Watchers and lost over 100 pounds.  I still struggle constantly with bad eating habits.  My weight has ranged from 170 to 230 over the past 2 years.  I am currently at about 204 pounds, and I need to get down to about 170 pounds by May in order to attempt a 3:10 marathon.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have 6 years experience. I love this sport and it's my passion.

Edited by ultramike 2008-01-09 5:05 PM

2008-01-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1128380

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ultramike's Group - OPEN
mike can i join your group??? i am doing my first triathlon in april (it's a sprint) and i need some direction. i have no problems motivating myself to workout... i do cardio about 6 times a week and i lift about 5 times a week... im just brand new to tris so i just wanted to get a good idea of what to expect and some solid methods of training. please let me know!

sincerely,

richard
2008-01-06 3:37 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Hi Mike,

I am an ultrarunner who would like to give a triathlon a shot. I have set a big goal of doing an ironman this year. Until last month I had never swam before, but now after a month of swimming, I am feeling like I can actually make that goal. I am planning on doing a bunch of ultramarathons during the first part of the year and then really focusing on doing an Ironman (assuming I feel that my swimming is good enough). I am sure that as I get closer to doing my first triathlon that I will have a ton of questions about it; that is mostly what I am interested in getting out the group.

Take Care
Bill
2008-01-07 12:05 AM

New user

Hi Mike,

I am interested in joining your group. I am planning on doing Penticton Ironman and just started my training. I am a relative newbie to triathlon having only completed UBC sprint some years ago. I have completed 5 marathons and quite a few trail and half marathon races but never anything like ironman. I will have lots of questions and thought this would be a good way to get them answered.

Tracy
2008-01-07 2:08 PM

New user

I would like to join your group.

I am a beginner clydesdale. I am currently 6'3" 298 lbs. (and dropping). I have been as high as 400+ and as low as 250 in the last few years. I am an endurance cyclist. I completed 10 centuries last season. This year, I am doing at least one sprint tri, Toyota Desert Tri in Palm Springs. I am sure that I will do others. I am also training to do my first double century.

I am 35 yrs. old. I am currently a teacher/football coach/wrestling coach in central california. I have 3 kids. I have been married for almost 10 years.
2008-01-07 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

I just noticed my thread went live yesterday.  Welcome everyone,

Richard -- Welcome to the world of triathlon!!  Of course you can join the group!

Bill -- What kind of ultra distances have you done?  I might do a 50 miler this year.  Which Ironman are you doing?

Tracy -- You will love Penticton.  That was my Ironman in 2007.  I have a whole bunch of friends on BeginnerTriathlete doing it this year. 

BigPapaPedal -- That's an impressive endurance cycling resume! Good job on the weight loss so far too.  You'll have to post some pics in the Before and After thread.  Welcome to the group!

There's still room for a few more.
Mike

2008-01-07 10:15 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
First off, hello to everyone. Looks like the group is shaping up to be pretty diverse.

Tracy, glad to see that someone else is going to do an Ironman in the group.

Mike, I have done several 50 mile and 100 mile races. Last year was a big year for me as I did three 100 miles races and three 50 mile races. I think that I got a little burnt out with running and this is why I am interested in mixing some things up and doing some triathlons. I keep a web page with my race results. If you are interested in looking the link is: http://home.comcast.net/~billgeist/running/races.htm

I have signed up for the Boulder 5430 Long Course Tri on August 10th. http://www.5430sports.com/5430long.htm
I am thinking of signing up for the Silverman Ironman on Nov 9th. http://www.silvermannv.com/

Do you have a 50 miler that you are thinking of?

Take Care
Bill

Edited by billgeist 2008-01-07 10:16 PM
2008-01-08 10:19 AM

User image

New user

Hi,
I'm interested in joining your mentoring group here on BT. I'm a 28 year old female commercial photographer from NC who hates to run. Ok i'll rephrase that, I've never liked to run, but i've learned to start liking it a bit more, and want to get better. I have discovered the rush you get when you just keep running and running and let the stress out. I love to swim, always have ever since i was thrown in a pool at 6months. I swam competitively for over 10 years. I have recently returned to my love affair with swimming. Biking is fun, but I need to improve greatly on it. Over the course of last year i've lost between 30-40lbs and I feel great. I admit I had let my self get out of shape and eat whatever I want when I was stressed out, but I have made changes over the past year and want to continue to do better and better. I love the way my body is starting to become, dare.. I say toned and muscular!!
My goal is to maybe do a half marathon, WHEWWWW, that sounds scary, but a goal this year. Or maybe a small triathlon.
Thanks,
Katie
2008-01-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1140807

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

billgeist - 2008-01-07 8:15 PM Mike, I have done several 50 mile and 100 mile races. Last year was a big year for me as I did three 100 miles races and three 50 mile races. .... I keep a web page with my race results. If you are interested in looking the link is: http://home.comcast.net/~billgeist/running/races.htm

I'm so jealous.  I totally have to do Hardrock one day.  The pictures are just amazaing!!!  I can't believe you finished in under 37 hours.  It makes Ironman look like childs play. 

billgeist - 2008-01-07 8:15 PM Do you have a 50 miler that you are thinking of?

I'm thinking of doing Stormy.  It's Aug 11th in Squamish BC. 
http://www.stormytrailrace.ca/

2008-01-08 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1141650

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Welcome Katie!

10 years of competitive swimming should give you a big head start in your triathlons. 

2008-01-09 9:52 AM

User image

New user

So does this mean I get to be in your mentoring group? Where do we start boss?
Katie

2008-01-09 4:17 PM

Hello!
I'd like to join your group if I can!
I'm a 30y.o. female in Southwest Florida, and a complete beginner in the triathalon area! I work full-time behind the scenes in television news, and I used to be fairly fit growing up and in college. (Running, swimming, everything but the bike!)
However, like many people, I've gotten totally out of shape in the last eight years, gaining about 50 lbs, and loosing a lot of my muscle tone.
I'm doing this for several reasons. 1) I've always wanted to do one, and with the economy in the toilet along with my finances, I figured this is one thing I have TOTAL control over to achieve, and gives me a goal. 2) Get healthy again! Never a tiny person, I'd like to at LEAST get back down to my college weight of 175, if not to my ideal weight of 155-160. (Currently *gulp* hovering around 220.) 3) To rip of Nike's slogan...to just do it, so I can say I did.
However, I'm starting at ground zero. I'm VERY out-of-shape, and don't know where to start! I'd like to shoot for the Danskin Tri in Orlando in April, but may have to do a year of training first.
Along with the support of a group, I'm looking for ideas on where/how to start training and resources I can look into to to develop my training plan. Can I join?!
2008-01-09 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1144988

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Yep, you're in Katie! Meggy, you're in too!  Welcome to the group!

I'm gonna close the group now.  6 seems like a nice small number.

In the next few days, I hope to get a bit more organized with this.  I just moved in with my fiance on December 23rd, and my training has been a bit sporadic.  I've been trying to get a few other aspects of my life in order before I dive right into another season of triathlon training. 

For now, I encourage you guys to add each other to your friends list. 

1. Click on the "control panel" icon  in your training log

2. Go to the "friends" tab

3. Add the following people to your list....

• ultramike
  • richietran
  • billgeist
  • tlj
  • BigPapaPedal
  • Snoogies18
  • meggy612

4. Your friends will show up in the bottom left corner of your training log under 'other blogs'

5. Click on each other as often as possible, and give feedback by clicking 'inspire me'

2008-01-18 6:22 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Ultramike's Group - CLOSED
i would like to join your group if you have room for one more
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ultramike's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed