General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training during HIM plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-02 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Strength Training during HIM plan
Moderators can smack my hand for posting this (I posted the question in the strength training forums - but it seems like no-mans land over there)

I just now noticed that the HIM plan I chose from BT has the Anatomical Adaptation phase for each of the strength training days. Is there a specefic reason for this as to why it doesn't move on to another phase? Or do I need to plan for the other phases during my season myself? Plus, I thought the AA phase was during the winter months anyways, not during my race season!?

2008-01-03 2:43 AM
in reply to: #1128902

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Strength Training during HIM plan

kevmk81 - 2008-01-02 3:13 PM Moderators can smack my hand for posting this (I posted the question in the strength training forums - but it seems like no-mans land over there) I just now noticed that the HIM plan I chose from BT has the Anatomical Adaptation phase for each of the strength training days. Is there a specefic reason for this as to why it doesn't move on to another phase? Or do I need to plan for the other phases during my season myself? Plus, I thought the AA phase was during the winter months anyways, not during my race season!?

I am using the S/B/R part of the HIM plan.  My weight training plan was solidified years ago (not that it is evident!) and will remain unchanged.  Use the S/B/R portion of it and do what you normally do with weights...unless you have no experience with weights, in which case this entire reply is moot.

It's late.  Be the ball, Kev.

Cool

2008-01-03 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

All the plans will start with an adaptation phase (this plan is 20-25 reps, lighter weight) as we can't assume everyone is currently doing a strength program.  So we don't want to blow the un-initiated's muscles out on the first week with low rep/higher weight stuff.  Most of the plans will progress to some other phases for power and endurance or maintenance, but we have to make sure everyone can adapt to the later phases.  This plan will change around day 50 to to some lower reps (8-15) then finishing with some 15-20 reps around day 80.

You can certainly tailor the phases to you if you are already on a strength plan.  The phases can also change, get more customized if you have multiple races.  Due to this complexity, we can't address it in a template plan to be highly individualistic.  So what we list as a strength workout is definitely better than nothing.

2008-01-03 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Did my first strength session for the HIM plan Tuesday and lemme tell you, 25 reps of squats and hammy curls and today I'm still limping around. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training during HIM plan Rss Feed