General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm jumping in... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-04 2:06 PM

Subject: I'm jumping in...
Hello all,

I have been lurking and reading this week as I have decided to make a change! A little background: I am a 41 year old, husband/father of three, who has spent the better part of the last 10 years playing a lot of golf, some tennis, yoga and more coaching of youth sports than most. 20 plus years ago in HS I was an athlete, playing 3 sports, soccer, basketball and baseball and very slim. Fast forward to today, let's just say slim is not the word someone would use to describe me.
Being competitive is really in my nature, but I have found those characteristics to be very detrimental in the coaching of youth. I had my day in the sun and now teaching kids and playing/coaching the games within the proper spirit is where I come from. I have seen way too many coaches trying to live vicariously through their kids and it really irks me to no end. That being said, I wanted to give myself a competitive challenge that I could focus on and one that would allow me to benefit the most of mind, body and spirit. This will be a big challenge for me.
I am comfortable in the water, have done some biking, mostly moutainbiking, and certainly can run... Putting all that together after being out of it for a long while is mostly what scares me, but also what has me excited. I have targeted a June 15 Sprint in Charlotte, NC to make my debut, in the Novice division.
Physically my biggest limitation, other than weight (215lbs @ 6'2") is that I have degenerative disc disease and will have to be very careful in my training. Any advice from the most helpful population in this community would be great. I have everything to learn here and will drink up any and all advice. My kids, my wife, my parents, business partners and friends are all behind me! I am commited to making a change for the better so that I might return a little bit of the glory days to my mind and body!

Thanks for reading!

2008-01-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1134087

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: I'm jumping in...

Hi Hamp....WELCOME!!!!

Congratulations on taking the BT plunge and making the commitment to get back into shape. I have no idea about degenerative disc disease...so you will have to get that info from others...and you came to the right site! it is a wealth of information! I hope you continue on this path...the BT is great on keeping the focus going. My suggestion is to get involved in a mentors group there are many that are open...just go to the forums box at the top of the screen and click on mentor 2008. Secondly, I find that the "challenge me" also has a large group of newbies to veteran BT users who compete against each other....great way to meet other BTers and to keep yourself motivated!

Once again welcome....hope you will find yourself having as much fun as I have....I don't think I could say that with out the help of the BT Community! Good luck with all your goals!

Julie

2008-01-04 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Welcome to BT, Hamp. It sounds like you have a good foundation for triathlon.  A June 15 Sprint is a great goal. I bet you'll be surprised how much you can accomplish between now and then. Not to mention the inspiration by example you can provide for the kids you coach.

Do you have a specific training plan in mind? 

2008-01-04 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Hey, Hamp, welcome to BT. I think you'll find the site really helpful, and the people inspirational.

Now for the back part of things....1) see your back doc to ensure that the pounding on the bike / run won't speed up the degeneration, and that your back is structurally sound. That's key.

Once you've got those under your belt, then I'd recommend 3 or 4 things to minimize the pounding and give you the best chance of going the distance.

1)  Take off that 15 or twenty lbs. That will relieve a good chunk of back stress right off the bat. Otherwise, running will be even that much more stressful on the back.  

2) do core work - and lots of it. Strengthening the muscle cage around the back is the first line of defense, and will serve you well no matter what race / activity you do. Plus, that'll help with the weight thing, too.

3) You may want to run on soft surfaces - chip trails, grass, rubberized tracks, or even do pool running. When training for longer tris, the run pounding can wreak havoc on knees and backs.

4) For the bike, make sure you get a great fit...you need to be very comfortable for long periods of time in the saddle, and if you're in a lousy position, it'll become really apparent really quickly.  And if possible, ride smooth roads...nothing gets the back poppin' like being in a bad position and riding over chipseal, potholes, or expansion joint cracks for 90 minutes or so.

That's all I can think of now....you may want to post a specific question in the Illness & Injuries forum. And again, welcome to BT!!! 

Edited by rkreuser 2008-01-04 2:40 PM
2008-01-07 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1134162

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I just read Joe Friel's "Your First Triathlon" and it has a training schedule. I don't know how it stacks up "in the real world of training" but it does give a framework to go from. I would love to hear about others that folks think are both easy to comprehend and effective. Friel's book makes a great read for someone who has never participated in any of these activities singularly. I have been on a swim team, biked a fair amount and run many miles over the years, it's just been some time and never have I put them all together. Any and all advice is welcomed, so if you have some ideas that would work for me.

Thanks again!
Hamp
2008-01-07 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1134184

Rick,

You are exactly right about the back. Unfortunately, this has been a problem since the 10th grade. I have been through lots of rehab, lots of pt, epidural shots, yoga, etc... I have been through the gamut and barely avoided surgery.(a long but interesting story) I am taking this training with the utmost in caution and will really have to limit my run training. I am going to lose 15lbs before I even touch it, but for now I am using an elipitcal, and swimming and biking. My moutain bike seems to fit, and the wheels certainly make the ride a little more cushy. I really, really want to be successful and am having to use a fair amount of restraint because i just want to jump in with everything i have. I have also used a recumbant bike in the past that I know i will utilize some. None of these are the real thing, but hopefully as I gain core strength, lose weight and stretch out a bit i can minimize the strain. I do know the symptoms and warning signs so hopefully I will be smart enough to go slow. It is certainly part of the mental exercise of this process.

Any training tips or secrets to success would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Hamp

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm jumping in... Rss Feed