United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 55m 24s
Overall Rank = 559/1695
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 84/166
Pre-race routine:

I did this race two years ago. It was my first half marathon and was my PR (2:08:28). My goal was to get under 2:00. Got up at 5:00 and drove to Cedar Park to catch a ride to the race with Eric. Arrived at the race about 6:15 or so for the 7:30 start.
Event warmup:

Walked around, visited the port-o-John's, did a little stretching.
Run
  • 1h 55m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1- 8:52 - Started off in mid pack and spent most of the first mile running around slower runners and people walking three-abreast. A lot of wasted energy adjusting running speed while trying to find a spot to ease into my pace.

Mile 2- 8:01 - Not sure if it was the gradual downhill, or finally finding some open spaces between runners. Felt like I was pushing a little and trying to find my pace. The goal was to run 8:30 or so the first 4 miles so that when I hit the hills, I'd have some time in the bank.

Mile 3- 8:42 - Still trying to find the pace, but starting to run a little more comfortably.

Mile 4- 8:52 - The drizzling rain has stopped, but the humidity is up there as high as it can go. Trying to rest a bit here we fly down th steep downhill and the uphills are approaching.

Mile 5- 8:49 - Trying to run smooth on the first hill and hit mile 5 at the bottom of the long second hill. Was very surprised that my pace didn't drop.

Mile 6- 9:40 - And the hills are definitely slowing me down. Still powering up them with short quick strides, but I'm starting to worry about finishing the rest of the race with mile splits under 9:00.

Mile 7- 9:26 - Finished the hills just before mile 7 and started recovering on the gradual downhill and flat sections.

Mile 8- 8:55 - Nice gradual downhill with a surprise steep uphill section. Still powered up the hill and realize it's going to be a tought 5 more miles.

Mile 9- 8:40 - Mostly flat and gradual downhill and I started recovering well. Really felt good over this stretch and started picking people in front of me to catch and keep my pace up.

Mile 10- 8:34 - Running smooth and continuing to reel people in with an occasional person returniong the favor. I'm now certain that a sub 2:00 race his well in hand. Feeling relatively strong and maintain a good pace.

Mile 11- 8:31 - Small rolling rises and drops over the course of this mile. Keeping things steady and smooth and starting to feel the miles on my legs.

Mile 12- 8:38 - Same rolling course as the last mile. My hamstrings are starting to stiffen up, but are not screaming at me yet.

Mile 13- 8:52 - Good lord, where'd this uphill section come from. Not really steep, just a long gradual uphill that got me breathing a lot harder and slowed me up. I remember feeling really bad here two years ago, and now I know why. This is a tough mile!

Mile 13.1- 0:47 - Came around the corner into the parking lot striding it out and coming in strong. Legs tired, but not sore.

What would you do differently?:

Go to the bathroom one last time before starting or at least try to get in line so that I'm ready closer to the start time. You can do a half marathon with a semi-full bladder, but it would have been more comfortable to try and do it without.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of post race food, bands, and activities. Ate, walked to the car, drove home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Even though it was only 65 degrees, the humidity made it a little difficult to stay cool, especially when the slight breeze was at our backs.

Event comments:

I love this race. Each water stop was competing for the best aid station and although the rain probably kept them from going all out, there were several entertaining stops along the way: the carwash, the Grease stop, the Vegas stop and for the second time that I've run the race, a little girl around mile 6.5 sitting in her driveway in her bathrobe at the top of a hill with her cello playing the theme to Rocky!

Last updated: 2004-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 84/166
Overall: 559/1695
Performance: Good
Course: The course starts out flat to a gentle downhill for the first 4 miles. Then it drops sharply downhill before turning up 3 major hills and some rolling terrain over the next 4 miles. Miles 9 and 10 are fairly flat and the last 3 miles are mostly flat with some deceiving gentle uphills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-11-22 9:57 AM

User image

Austin, TX
Subject: Motive Bison Stampede

2004-11-22 11:11 AM
in reply to: #85425

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Motive Bison Stampede
Please tell me that there wasn't a bison stampede included in this race?! Awesome job!!! Congrats on your PR!
2004-11-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: #85425

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Subject: RE: Motive Bison Stampede
Fantastic job conquering those hills. Great account of your run, too. I felt like I was there with you, but letting you do all the work.
Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motive Bison Stampede Rss Feed