General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newb & Early Mid-Life Crisis (?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-11 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Tri Newb & Early Mid-Life Crisis (?)
Hi everyone! I have decided that my goal this year is to finish a triathlon and ran across this site while searching for training info. I was going to pair up with a co-worker of mine and do one together, but he is now deploying to Afghanistan....doh! (My turn is next year, except I get Iraq =P) So it looks like I am on my own this summer and am determined to finish at least one triathlon.

I am a converted swimmer and being from the military, I am confident I can build up my run.....the bike is what scares me =P. So I am currently looking for a decent bike that is around $1000 and am looking at the Motobecane Grant Sprint or something along those lines. If I get hooked into the sport (pretty good chance it seems), I'll swap over to a tri bike. I have been training for about a month now and am getting really excited about the upcoming season...maybe a little too much as my wife is getting worried about my enthusiasm, hehe.

Glad to meet all of you!

2008-01-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1151515

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Tri Newb & Early Mid-Life Crisis (?)
Hey there Max O! Welcome! Smile And heck no, it ain't a midlife crisis - it's a lifestyle change for the better dude! Wooo HOOO! Get ready for a fun ride...literally and figuratively. You will be fine on the bike - just get used to the saddle with lots of time in the saddle aka t.i.t.s. And if you go with clip less peddles, it will take some getting used to but gives you added power and plus there's an exclusive club - clipless crash club. (I joined when I came to a stop light but couldn't quite get my foot unhooked fast enough before I came to a complete stop and kerrrplunk! over I went...one of many falls. EmbarassedI think just about everyone on this forum is a member ) Happy training!

Edited by BbMoozer 2008-01-11 8:28 PM
2008-01-11 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Max O! Welcome.......Mid-life crisis? Going on 52 and I still haven't hit mid-life, so how can I have mid-life crisis! LOL! So if you are younger.....you are in no need of going into a denial mode!

Now swapping over to this tri bike notion? Never swap..... just add! My wife asked me if I was going to sell my road bike after I purchased my tri bike........ my response: "Never" as I mounted my new tri bike above the mantel!

And if your wife is concerned about your enthusiam for triathlons, let her know that you could be into other things far worse! Let the current carry you in the right direction, the wind be at your bike when on the bike, and that you won't flat on your running shoes!

2008-01-11 10:04 PM

New user

Glad to meet you Max_O! Seems this is a great place to hang out, learn new things and get some encouragement! WIshing you the best!

andibrandt
2008-01-11 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1151560

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
BbMoozer - 2008-01-11 6:27 PM

You will be fine on the bike - just get used to the saddle with lots of time in the saddle aka t.i.t.s. And if you go with clip less peddles, it will take some getting used to but gives you added power and plus there's an exclusive club - clipless crash club. (I joined when I came to a stop light but couldn't quite get my foot unhooked fast enough before I came to a complete stop and kerrrplunk! over I went...one of many falls.

Ahh t.i.t.s.! I was wondering what that stood for, hehehe. I was worried about the clipless pedals and the salesman at the LBS said that it is common to wipe at least a few times when trying to get used to them....kinda looking forward to it =P. I appreciate all of the support and it seems that the tri community is pretty close knit!
2008-01-12 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Hey Max O! Welcome to the addictive world of triathlons! Have you picked out an event yet? If not, go to www.trifind.com and check out ones in your state or states. Some of them fill up pretty fast, even the sprint distances. You can do the plans here and check out articles. There are some decent books out there, especially for transitions and gear. I used Eric Harr's book to get ready for my first one. Bikes - I used a regular road bike for the first year and then got myself a tri bike. I love my tri bike with the bar end shifters! It's just so nice not having to move my hand all the time and feel like I'm out of the aero position. Plus, it's not cool riding with a group with aerobars and most group rides will discourage it (aerobars in crashes can seriously do some damage). So it's much easier having two bikes. Yeah, my wife also thinks I'm nuts but I could also be lying around the house becoming a couch potato or going out more drinking too darn much. Anyway, with everything new, life begins again! Enjoy your new lifestyle!

2008-01-14 8:59 PM

User image

New user

I read ya 5 x 5 on the mid life crisis thing...and the deployment too, sucks but then I guess we are the guys who have to do what were told right? Anyhow, I started triathloning about the same way last year and I really like to do it...once you do a couple of sprints, I will bet you get hooked!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newb & Early Mid-Life Crisis (?) Rss Feed