General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » marathoner giving it a tri! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-16 10:50 AM

User image

Vienna, VA
Subject: marathoner giving it a tri!
Hi all!

I'm Amy, a distance runner in need of a tri-training pal!

I've knocked out 6 marathons in the past 3 years, currently training for my 7th, and one day I decided there is more to the endurance world than pounding pavement. I'd really like to get out there and give the triathlon world a whirl. An ironman sounds very tempting to me, but we'll see how I manage with a few smaller ones first

I just moved to VA (Vienna) and I live right next to a beautiful bike path-40 miles long! I've been running on it every day and realized it would be fun to see the end of the trail at some point. (Even my 20 mile runs won't put me at the end)

My next race is March 2nd, and I'm planning another marathon May 6th, but I'd like to start getting my feet wet and shoes clipped in.

Does anyone have experience/ advice about training for tris coming out of marathon shape?

Also, I have a road bike but not a tri bike. Is that going to mess me up? I'd like to use the road bike until I have some money saved up for a tri bike...

Thanks everyone! I look forward to hearing some replies!

2008-01-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1159514

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: marathoner giving it a tri!

Welcome to BT Amy

I am a Triathlete who picked up Marathoning and now race the Spring/Summer Tri season and the Fall/Winter Marathon season. There are quite a few marathoners here on BT with plenty of experience balancing the two sports.

With your running base, the trick is going to scheduling enough training time to get your run workouts done along with your swim/bike workouts. Took me a bit to work out the details but I have a plan that seems to work well for me now. (It is sustainable over the long term)

Maybe check out some of the Tri plans that BT offers and modify them to suit your current running base and see how well it fits for you.

2008-01-16 11:21 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Hey Amy, your background sounds similar to mine back 2+ yrs ago. I worked my way up to HIM the first year, then on to IM distance at the end of my 2nd season. I still sprinkle in a marathon or two as well. I really like cross training and don't miss all of those 50+ mi weeks.

If you have no swimming background, do NOT underestimate how long it'll take you to be decent in the water. Running efficiency/fitness doesn't equate to swimming fitness. I hooked up with a swim coach.

As with marathoning, get signed up for a race and put the plan together. There's lots of resources on this site (and others) with respect to levels of plans for sprints/oly, etc.

Enjoy!

Edited by leapdog 2008-01-16 11:25 AM
2008-01-16 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Hi Amy, welcome to BT! There are plenty of us N. VA folks on the site. I think that I know every inch of the W&OD trail by now.

I can't really speak to training for tris coming out of marathon shape; I was in absolutely no shape when I started. You might check out some of the training plans on the site to get an idea for what training for 3 sports looks like as opposed to just running.

You will be fine with a road bike. You might look at putting aero bars on it at some point.

What are your upcoming races?

2008-01-16 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1160270

User image

Vienna, VA
What are your upcoming races?

I'm running the Sarasota (FL) Marathon Mar 2nd, and hopefully the Potomac come the first week of May.

Thanks for the welcome!
2008-01-16 10:46 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Welcome Amy

I have followed your same plan. I had 17 marathons under my belt before getting into tris last year. I fell to the lure of the iron distance and did one last Sept.

My .02 worth would be get to love that bike. If you aspire to IM then 112 is 112 and you will really need to start building that bike base.

keep firing up questions as there is a lot of good people on here that would love to help.

2008-01-17 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1161133

User image

Vienna, VA
Thanks for input! Was your ironman everything you had hoped?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » marathoner giving it a tri! Rss Feed