General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Noob from SoCal -- in dire need of some guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-16 5:19 PM

New user

Subject: Noob from SoCal -- in dire need of some guidance
Hey folks,

I am a complete and total noob to the triathlon scene. I am starting from square one. I am a 32 year old couch tater who gets very little to no physical activity. I'm only a few lbs overweight [5'3"/130], but I swear I get winded going up the stairs in our house. So a very good friend of mine from way back in the day recently had a cancer scare. Thank god, but it lools like he's going to be alright. During the course of his treatment, there was a time when an amputation of his let was not out of the question. This inspired my friend to aspire to finishing an ironman triathlon. He has set up a 501(c)(3) non-profit to benefit research into the rare type of cancer he has survived. The goal is to raise $50K for medical research and it is all centered around my buddy's plan to complete an ironman. He has recruited some of his friends, myself included, to join him on this quest. After talking me out of my total skepticism that any of this would be remotely possible for me, he has tentatively talked me into attempting a sprint tri in September or October 2008. I'm still not convinced that this is anything more than a pipedream. It all looks very daunting to an outsider. I have not run in ages, I'm not much of a swimmer [in fact, I suck, and that is not an exaggeration] and the bike I have is of the outdated-clunker-of-a-mountain-bike persuasion. I don't have access to a pool. I don't have a gym membership. I don't have time and money to immerse myself in it. But I also don't really have an acceptable excuse not to give this a shot. My friend got a wake up call and has thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us to dare as he has. And god knows I could use the excuse to do something ambitious. But this thing is pretty scary to the outsider. I think of triathletes as the lycra-wearing hardcores who ride $1000 bikes and go to early morning masters swimming classes. Obviously, that is not me. I think that the fear of the unknown is what is most discouraging. Can I, pathetic dweller of the couch, with my crappy shoes, crappy bike and limited resources, actually pulll this thing off? Stay tuned.

My buddy pointed me to the couch to sprint program and that was the first bit of encouraging news I've seen. That was the first time that I felt like this thing might actually be doable. I guess other than that, I just need to jump in and give it a try.

Thanks for listening,

Rob

2008-01-16 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1160518

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Noob from SoCal -- in dire need of some guidance

That's a hilarious intro. Are you a writer?

Welcome to BT and the wild world of tri. There's a good bunch of us crazies here in SoCal with you, and compared to several of us who started on this path, you're way ahead. 'Struth.

You do need a decent pair of running shoes, though, bought from a running store (ask for recommendations if you need). Other than that, you're set.

2008-01-16 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1160530

New user

Great, thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, the shoes are my first order of business. Can I get a decent pair at Big5? New Balance? Or is there something even more esoteric than that? Recommendations are of course aprpeciated. And no, I'm not a writer, just scared #@%$less that I've committed myself to this. I guess that's just the gallows humor...
2008-01-16 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome to BT Rob

The good news is that all you need to do is start your training. (Run, Bike Or Swim) You don't need to have all of the answers to get started working on your base.

I might suggest that your goal of doing a race in September (From The Couch) is totally doable. In fact, that is exactly what I did 5 years ago. (I did Carpinteria as my first Tri on my 38th Birthday in 2004. (I started training in February)

The bike you have is fine for training and maybe even for racing. Get some good shoes for the feet and your off on your plan. For the swimming bit, look for a Master's program in your area.

Another option is to find swim workouts with a local Tri Club in your area. They will have Open Water Swims and probably also pool workouts. Either way, there will be experienced folks there to help you refine your stroke and get comfortable in the water.

If you looking for a good race in September, maybe look at Carpinteria Triathlon. There is a Sprint and an Olympic Distance and the swim is at one of the "Safest Beaches" in the world.

www.CarpinteriaTriathlon.com

Good luck and remember to post your workouts so we can see how your doing. Also might want to sign up for a mentor group

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-01-16 5:50 PM
2008-01-17 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I think of triathletes as the lycra-wearing hardcores who ride $1000 bikes and go to early morning masters swimming classes. Obviously, that is not me. I think that the fear of the unknown is what is most discouraging. Can I, pathetic dweller of the couch, with my crappy shoes, crappy bike and limited resources, actually pulll this thing off? Stay tuned.

HA! Well, we kind of are... but you will be too very soon! Wearing lycra... going to swim classes (sounds like you need it ).

You can pull it off. MANY of us did.

It takes focus and dedication, but it can be done. GOOD LUCK!

2008-01-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1160571

User image

Melon Presser

wallbangr - 2008-01-16 4:48 PM Great, thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, the shoes are my first order of business. Can I get a decent pair at Big5? New Balance?

Oh no, no, no. Sorry. You need to go to a running shoe store, a place where they do NOT sell shoes for purposes other than running, and they will watch you walk and/or run, and bring you a bunch of shoes specifically manufactured for your kind of gait, and have you try them on and move around in them.

Here in SoCal we are spoilt with the number of good running stores. Depending on where you are located, I'm sure some of us could give you the names of a few.

2008-01-17 3:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
wallbangr - 2008-01-16 3:19 PM

Hey folks,

I am a complete and total noob to the triathlon scene. I am starting from square one. I am a 32 year old couch tater who gets very little to no physical activity. I'm only a few lbs overweight [5'3"/130], but I swear I get winded going up the stairs in our house. So a very good friend of mine from way back in the day recently had a cancer scare. Thank god, but it lools like he's going to be alright. During the course of his treatment, there was a time when an amputation of his let was not out of the question. This inspired my friend to aspire to finishing an ironman triathlon. He has set up a 501(c)(3) non-profit to benefit research into the rare type of cancer he has survived. The goal is to raise $50K for medical research and it is all centered around my buddy's plan to complete an ironman. He has recruited some of his friends, myself included, to join him on this quest. After talking me out of my total skepticism that any of this would be remotely possible for me, he has tentatively talked me into attempting a sprint tri in September or October 2008. I'm still not convinced that this is anything more than a pipedream. It all looks very daunting to an outsider. I have not run in ages, I'm not much of a swimmer [in fact, I suck, and that is not an exaggeration] and the bike I have is of the outdated-clunker-of-a-mountain-bike persuasion. I don't have access to a pool. I don't have a gym membership. I don't have time and money to immerse myself in it. But I also don't really have an acceptable excuse not to give this a shot. My friend got a wake up call and has thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us to dare as he has. And god knows I could use the excuse to do something ambitious. But this thing is pretty scary to the outsider. I think of triathletes as the lycra-wearing hardcores who ride $1000 bikes and go to early morning masters swimming classes. Obviously, that is not me. I think that the fear of the unknown is what is most discouraging. Can I, pathetic dweller of the couch, with my crappy shoes, crappy bike and limited resources, actually pulll this thing off? Stay tuned.

My buddy pointed me to the couch to sprint program and that was the first bit of encouraging news I've seen. That was the first time that I felt like this thing might actually be doable. I guess other than that, I just need to jump in and give it a try.

Thanks for listening,

Rob

Rob,

What part of So Cal?

2008-01-17 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1162524

New user

Yeah, I think I was just reading about that. My sister runs and I know she has a place that does the whole analysis for you. I'm going to check that place out. Thanks again.
2008-01-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1162558

New user

I'm in Orange County. Not to be confused with the imaginary place known to mindless TV viewers everywhere (but here) as, "The OC."
2008-01-17 4:22 PM

User image

Welcome, don't know any specific stores in OC, but Road Runner Sports has been good to me.  It took me about 5 different brands/models until I truly found the right shoe for me.
2008-01-17 4:46 PM

New user

Yeah, I saw a listing for roadrunner in Anaheim and my sister just told me about the Running Lab near me in Orange where they do the testing, etc. Thanks again for the info and the words of encouragement.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Noob from SoCal -- in dire need of some guidance Rss Feed