General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Is it possible for me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-07 10:48 PM

Subject: Is it possible for me?
Hello everyone!

I am a 37 year old woman, 5'6", 145 lbs., and I am thinking about starting traing for triathlon. Am I crazy? I am not fit at all, although I am doing yoga for about a year, and I recently began going to gym 2-3 times a week and doing at least 45 min. of cardio training. I am feeling much better now, and now I am wondering how much further I may push myself. I wish I thought about that earlier... Do you think I can do it? Do I need a personal trainer? I am not afraid of swimming, but running could be a real challenge for me. I just don't know where to start....

2004-02-07 11:38 PM
in reply to: #6407

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Is it possible for me?
Well your not crazy and it is possible.  Most people ask themselves this question when they consider doing a tri. Find yourself a beginner workout on this site and start working out.  After a couple of months you will start finding your way and answer some of your own questions about what you will need.  In the meantime if you have some specific questions, just ask us! Welcome!
2004-02-08 5:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Welcome and congratulations on taking the plunge. You are not crazy and if triathlons are something you want to do and you commit, I have no doubt that you can do it. Like Michael said there are some really nice training programs to get you started on the main site. Here's a link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Check out the programs on the left. You might try the "couch to sprint program". Here's a direct link to that:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/couch_to_sprint_overview.htm

Good luck and have fun.

JD

2004-02-08 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
You are definitely not crazy; quite the contrary, you are quite sane and getting smarter by virtue of your desire to do a tri. You've been doing yoga for a year so you are limber and your weight seems fit enough. REad all the articles you can on the site and ask as many questions as you want on the forum. Go to the http://www.beginnertriathlete.comsite and take a look at the various training programs. It wa suggested that you might start with the couch to sprint training program, but take a look at them all and decide which would be best for you. Rember, that these programs are not etched in stone; you can switch the days of training and even split the training times. Whatever you decide to do is wonderful. Good luck and welcome aboard.
2004-02-08 11:08 AM

Welcome to Tri-land! You are defintely NOT crazy, and (as others have said) you CAN do this. Keep in mind that even though there may be hundreds (and in some cases like Danskin) thousands of participants in your traithlon, it is an individual sport in that you will compete against yourself only. And also -- no matter what your results are in your first TRI -- it will be your personal best!! Just do whatever works for you, and set your goals realistically (like  to simply FINISH). Enjoy that first TRI and revel in you accomplishment -- it is your only FIRST one!

Training for Triahlons is a great way to get fit by cross training and thus not overstresssing one part of your body. So you will get fitter and -- if done correctly -- healthier in your new sport.

Nancy

2004-02-08 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Hey naiive,
YOU GO GIRL! I, too, am a 37 year old female. I weigh about the same although you have two inches on me! I did my first and second triathlons last year! They were a lot of fun and I got to know a part of myself that I was unaware of :-) ! For a start in running, I would recommend that you start with walking. Being able to sustain a good walking pace for 30 minutes is a good start. Then, break up every four minutes walking with a minute of running, repeating 6 times. Increase your running time to 2 minutes, then three, then four, then chunk up the ten minute cycles into 6 and 4, 7 and 3, and so on until you can sustain the whole 30 minutes running. Do this gradually, over two to three week period (or longer, as your body tells you) and you will be running before you know it. Use the information available on the site, it is very helpful. I had been working towards doing a triathlon for a couple of years and finally had to go with Team in Training, because I needed the input and support. I didn't know this place existed. TNT was great, but it does require fundraising. If you want to "tri", then you can!! Hang in there and start small and gradual! This crew is great to support and celebrate with! Glad you are here.
Vanessa

2004-02-08 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
All I had to see was your subject line..."Is it possible for me?" and had to answer.
You bet it is.
Good luck and welcome!

nt
2004-02-08 3:48 PM

, Alabama

Anything's possible if you believe it to be.  Any questions you have can be presented on the forum and someone is likely to have an answer (or two) that can help.

Sharon

2004-02-08 5:22 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
You've got to believe!
With help you'll find here, its very possible.
2004-02-08 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
I too have made a committment to do a sprint distance tri (or 2 ? ) this year. Like you, I wonder if it is possible or if I'm kidding myself. I am 5'5, 136 , have a few years (!) over you....have never thought of myself as an athlete, tho have been pretty consistent with some form of fitness activity over the years. Right now, I am working on building my core fitness and reading and asking questions . Currently my goals are to get in SOMETHING 5 days a week. I'm building on running because that is what I was already doing. Right now I am working on getting from 3 miles at a 9-9:20 mile to gradually increasing speed to 8 min mile and distance to 4+. This means running all 5 days,one is a long slow day, one is shorter bursts of faster, and the other 3 are consistent pace over the distance and varying the terrain- if I'm on the treadmill (which is where most of my running is right now because I.m in New England and it's cold, dark, and icey !)that means increasing the incline etc. I am swimming in the pool 2-3 days- right now I am working on my technique exclusively-breathing and stroke based on the total immersion philosophy which is totally new for me so is actually a challenge to "undo" my "old " way of swimming. For now with the bike I am jsut trying to read, learn etc and use the spinning bike at the gym for short "get my muscles used to this" until I feel I've got my basics going in the other 2. I have continued to do some strength training 2 days a week - I'm looking to make this more specific as I make progress. For me the bike is the big unknown-but I'm hoping that starting off with "a blank slate" might actually prove to be a good thing !I still try to do a step or kick box class because I like them and I figure they are using some same some different muscles. Another thing I am trying hard to stick to is stretching because I do NOT want to get injured !!!!!Time is always difficult- work can really get in the way ! Home & family still there too .Some times it's hard to keep the balance...
Anyway, for what it's worth- tho I do have moments when I think I'm nuts....I try to shut that off and read a chapter in a tri book or look at posts here or simply flip thru my log and see the progress already there....cuz I really DO think that ANYONE can do ANYTHING if they put their mind to it. I'm thinkng of starting to post my log here as well. I'm new to the site but so far people seem really supportive and of varying ages and abilities.I'll look forward to seeing your progress. Isis
2004-02-08 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Hi, I was wondering the same thing when I started a month ago but now I definitely believe it's possible.  More than that, I know I'm going to do it.  This site has really helped a lot in that.  People are great for keeping your motivation up whether it's by talking on the forum or reading other people's logs.  So stick with it and I'm sure you'll succeed.

2004-02-08 8:24 PM

Regular
Colorado
Seems we all start with the little thought of "is it possible for me?" and just build from there! Welcome to the site!
Kim
2004-02-08 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
You can do anything you put your mind to! I do recommend a trainer to help you focus. It took me a year to finally run my first 5K race - now I can't stop.

I believe in you!!
2004-02-09 11:03 PM

Hammond, La

Is it possible for me? Two years ago I was in very bad health, Doc was talking about amputating my left leg. I also had sleep apnea. After my hospital stay and sucess in beating the infection in my leg. I joined weight watchers, I had 275# to lose. 

Last year I walked 1000 miles, last Oct I rode 150 miles on a bike in the MS Tour 150 in 9 hrs and 24 min. Since Oct I have been running and bikeing.  Jan I found a swim coach and started swiming, it is going slow but I am working hard. swim 2-3 times a week and spin twice a week, run twice a week. up to three miles in sub 12 min miles.I plan on doing a sprint TRI in May.

.6 mile swim, 21 mile bike, 4 mile run

I have lost over 200# now! I am now 49 years young and doing things I could or would not do back in high school.

If you need motivation, I think I can help you.;-

Edited by NOGILLS 2004-02-09 11:05 PM
2004-02-11 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, CA
You can do it if you want to!
Although I have done triathlons it's been several years since I did an Olympic Distance one (3/4 mile swim/25 mile bike/6.2 mile run). I have taken several months off from injuries and just started training the last two weeks for an Olympic Distance tri in June! Go for it...if you are up to 45 min of cardio you have a good start...I can only run 20-30 min at this point. Be honest with yourself though...I see a lot of people at the gym doing "cardio" while they are able to sit and read and they barely break a sweat. Don't be afraid to push yourself a bit...but...also listen to your body and get plenty of rest.
One of the things I've learned through years of sports and a few triathlons is you WILL need to learn how to mentally push yourself!
Good luck and go for it! By the way...I am 5'7" and 200 lbs so I am worse off than you! Although I am carrying a lot of muscle mass from years of volleyball and weightlifting.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Is it possible for me? Rss Feed