General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions for extending/modifying Oly training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-23 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: Opinions for extending/modifying Oly training plan
Hey everyone!

I'm back from my two week Caribbean vacation, rested, tanned, ready to eat some turkey, and planning my training for next season. Next Monday, November 29, is Day One of my training. I'm intentionally starting it before the Christmas holidays to more effeciently burn all those extra holiday calories.

My goal and target race for next year is a 1/2 IM in September. I'm doing an Oly race just over a month before that, and several sprints thru the spring and early summer. I am also planning to do the bike leg of a relay team for a 1/2 IM in May, and a full IM in October. I am starting my training with the BT 16 Week Beginner Olympic training plan. It has a short and long session of each tri sport for each week. This will take me thru mid March, ending on the day of my first sprint race.

My question for all of you is what to do after the end of this 16 week plan. I have considered starting the 20 Week 1/2 IM plan at that point. The timing works out well, there would be 4 "spare" weeks to cover any missed time before my target 1/2 IM in September. The drawback is that the 1/2 IM training plan contains more workouts each week, 3x each sport, and my weekly schedule is already busy. The total time for the workouts at the end of the 16 week Oly plan is actually more than the first few weeks of the 1/2 plan, so the length of training sessions is not my problem. Finding enough free mornings and evenings to get in 9 workouts instead of 6 is the problem.

What I am considering, and what I would like all of your opinions on, is just continuing the Oly training plan, with the 6 workouts/week, and continuing to increase the times by 10%, at the same pace as the first 16 weeks. This will bring my long workouts well up to, and past, the 1/2 IM distances. I have considered including a few weeks of maintaining the times, so the total times don't get completely out of hand. I know I can also start adding some intensity to the short workouts each week to keep the "training volume" up without the short workouts growing to 2 or 3 hours....LOL. I think this can work and successfully prepare me to run a good 1/2 IM race.

Please let me know what all of you experts, novices, and fellow beginners think. Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

2004-11-23 8:57 PM
in reply to: #85964

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Opinions for extending/modifying Oly training plan

if you go according to your plan of just building off the oly plan, you shouldnt increase your swimming times much over the oly plan as they are about the same length as a half im swim, instead join a swim club or masters program to get your stroke efficient and good drill work..

BUT u can alway cut out the 'short or medium' events for the 1/2 im plan to get to 6 workouts per week OR combine some as bricks.

OH...the month u will have in between plans...get a healthy dose of r & r....dont try to make up for deficits or lost time.

just my thoughts.

2004-11-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: #86046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Hey Ron,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I am likely going to build off of the oly plan, but I still have 4 months to figure out exactly how to do it. The swim club/masters program is a great idea. Day One of the Oly plan is 5 days away.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

2004-11-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #85964

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I think that's a great idea, and as my target Half IM is in September also, I'm planning to follow in your footsteps! Instead of the 20 week Half IM program, I was going to modify the 20 week Oly program from the site myself.... continually building on the times/distances. Although I won't start my formalized training until probably Mid Feb... Our schedules look about the same too... except I'm not doing an IM in October, or a bike leg as a relay... (Although it sounds like a good idea... maybe I can find someone to let me do their bike leg??) Anyway, good luck with your program, and let me know how it's working for you!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions for extending/modifying Oly training plan Rss Feed