General Discussion Triathlon Talk » strained neck from biking/swimming?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-23 10:50 PM

Subject: strained neck from biking/swimming??
I thought I got a stiff neck from sleeping in a wrong way or something a few days ago. (Well actually I noticed a stiff neck after Ballet workout, but it got worse over one night). There is no sign of getting better. Meanwhile, I swam and biked in a little uncomfortable way. Do you think this strained neck coming swimming/biking too much too soon? I admit I started biking (riding a road bike first time in my life), totally ignoring 10% rule; 0/wk to 1hr x 3/wk. Resumed swimming 0/wk to 30-45min. x 2-3/wk, one week after running a marathon.

What do I need to do, other than rest (well, I can run, since neck doesn't have to move, can I?)? Also what kind of stretches do I need to do avoid this in the future? I thought I did neck/shoulder stretches before/after, but I guess that wasn't enough.

Thanks,

2004-11-23 11:15 PM
in reply to: #86081

User image

Master
Subject: RE: strained neck from biking/swimming??
I sometimes have the same problem... Usually when it happens I take Motrin, and put a warm compress on my neck then very politely ask my wife to massage it for a few minutes, and do some gentle stretching.
2004-11-23 11:26 PM

Master
Boston
Ooh boy do I know what you're talking about...I would say that it has to do with the bike not fitting you properly. I sometimes, and frequently get pain in my neck and trapezois area the next day after I wake up from a bike ride. That's probably because my bike is a bit too big for me and I haven't gotten it fitted properly. That's what I would guess is causing it. Yeah, just take some ibuprofen too, like Piggpen said. Good luck , hope you feel better soon.
2004-11-23 11:48 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
For swimming, you may be having problems due to your form. If your neck hurts while swimming you're doing someting wrong. The first thing I think about when I get into the pool is achieving complete relaxation of my neck...this means that my head is mostly underwater, but my neck completely relaxed. You might have to back up on your swimmign drills to achieve this, but it's worth it. Now when I get out of the pool, I feel relaxed all over.
2004-11-24 12:11 AM
in reply to: #86097

GatorGirl22 - 2004-11-23 11:26 PM

Ooh boy do I know what you're talking about...I would say that it has to do with the bike not fitting you properly. I sometimes, and frequently get pain in my neck and trapezois area the next day after I wake up from a bike ride. That's probably because my bike is a bit too big for me and I haven't gotten it fitted properly. That's what I would guess is causing it. Yeah, just take some ibuprofen too, like Piggpen said. Good luck , hope you feel better soon.

I trust this is not from the bike not fitting well for me..... I got this bike from reputable LBS with some adjustments specifically for my body. Yeah, they warned me - it will take a while to get used to it. But this problem occurs too frequently or I feel this is not fitting properly for me (I can't say that at this point...I am too newbie), I will certainly talk to the LBS. Thanks.
2004-11-24 12:17 AM
in reply to: #86101

AdventureBear - 2004-11-23 11:48 PM

For swimming, you may be having problems due to your form. If your neck hurts while swimming you're doing someting wrong. The first thing I think about when I get into the pool is achieving complete relaxation of my neck...this means that my head is mostly underwater, but my neck completely relaxed. You might have to back up on your swimmign drills to achieve this, but it's worth it. Now when I get out of the pool, I feel relaxed all over.

I am taking swimming lessons and re-learn how to swim prroperly and yes, I am still struggling how to position my head. With the top of the head facing to the end of the tool, I have a little difficult time to breathe (I have to turn my head more to breath, it seems..). I know my swimming right now is no where near relaxing experience. With so many things I have to think (body position, arm movement, etc) while swimming, I get tired very quickly. I didn't have any problem swimming 1200-1500yd BEFORE the lessons........

2004-11-24 12:17 AM

User image

Master
I didnt even think about bike fit,but I have taken my bike in a couple of times to my LBS and had it refit to me because I had lost weight andwas able to get into a better aero position. That is something I would definatly consider doing...
2004-11-24 12:25 AM
in reply to: #86111

User image

Yoshiko - 2004-11-23 10:17 PM

I am taking swimming lessons and re-learn how to swim prroperly and yes, I am still struggling how to position my head. With the top of the head facing to the end of the tool, I have a little difficult time to breathe (I have to turn my head more to breath, it seems..). I know my swimming right now is no where near relaxing experience. With so many things I have to think (body position, arm movement, etc) while swimming, I get tired very quickly. I didn't have any problem swimming 1200-1500yd BEFORE the lessons........

I didn't respond to your other post, but don't worry, the yards will come. I think you may have hit on part of th eneck problem, you say you have to turn your head to breathe. When my form is off, I get a sore neck. You head should turn as part of your body, keeping your hin tucked. When my form is on, I know it because I get a rash on my shoulder from my 5 o clock shadow

Keep at it......
Chris
2004-11-24 12:36 AM
in reply to: #86116

ChrisM - 2004-11-24 12:25 AM

Yoshiko - 2004-11-23 10:17 PM

I didn't respond to your other post, but don't worry, the yards will come. I think you may have hit on part of th eneck problem, you say you have to turn your head to breathe. When my form is off, I get a sore neck. You head should turn as part of your body, keeping your hin tucked. When my form is on, I know it because I get a rash on my shoulder from my 5 o clock shadow

Keep at it......
Chris

So, Chris, you are saying that your head and body are in one line and the whole thing turns when you breathe, just like I turn my whole body to the left to look at something because my neck can't move to the left? Mmmmm, that is a new discovery.
2004-11-24 12:50 AM

User image

that is my understanding, maybe tri swim coach will chime in........ Your upper body esentially moves as one. You should not be "turning your head to breathe" but "turning your core", this will also help with the roll, since you have to roll to breathe

Chris
2004-11-24 12:52 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Yoshibo, are you hunching your neck and shoulders when you ride?  If I hunch, letting my shoulders come up near my ears I experience the same thing even though my bike was fitted to me.  Even with a fitted bike form is important, especially on long rides or when you increase your distances over a short time span.

Motrin is good if you don't have a problem taking it...but I would say ice before heat just as a general rule.  If there is a little irritated inflammation ice will bring it down better than heat will.

2004-11-24 8:41 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yes, I second Chris's thoughts on turning as a unit. Your head shouldn't move on it's own, but as part of the whole body. Yes, your body ends up on its side when you do this, it's OK to exaggerate the movement and experiement. You can think of your belly button pointing to the walls of the pool when you roll.
2004-11-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: #86111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Yoshiko - 2004-11-24 12:17 AM

I agree with the need to be relaxed when swimming, the more tense you are the more you are likely to suffer muscle strain, but more important is technique, if you are rolling your whole body toward the surface there is no need to twist your neck to get a breath. By rolling your whole body you are using your core for propultion
2004-11-24 12:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-11-26 1:41 AM

Elite
Chicago
I've incorporated some easy neck exercises.

Lay on your stomach with your head over the side of the bed. then nod like your agreeing with someone about 10 times. Flip over on your back and repeat. Do the same for both the left and right sides of your neck also.

After a week or so, you can add slight resistence by simply pressing on your head as you do the exercises.

We used to do these in the military for neck strength and they really work without any bulk up.

It should help your back of the neck soreness from being in the aero position of the bike. But remember, no matter how good a bike fit you get....being in the aeroposition is NOT natural and does cause undue stress and strain on the body.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » strained neck from biking/swimming?? Rss Feed