General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Practices for IM Transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-21 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: Best Practices for IM Transitions
Ohhhhh those who have experience....help.....

I'm wondering if someone can walk/talk those with no IM experience through the IM transitions. Please share best practices for setting up the transitions. Please share best practices for executing the transitions. Are there helpers and what are they allowed/not allowed to do to assist you?

Thanks!

2008-01-21 12:22 AM
in reply to: #1167368

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Best Practices for IM Transitions
At imaz last year, for each transition, you call out your number and the volunteer gives you your bag. You then enter the changing tent and change. You then put in the bag the stuff from the previous leg, so for example, if you just finished swimming and got your bike bag, as you get your bike stuff on, you put your wetsuit and swimming stuff into the bike bag. It's not like a shorter race where you have to lay out your stuff next to your bike or anything like that.

Not sure if that was what you are asking but it's not like a regular transition.
2008-01-21 12:36 AM
in reply to: #1167381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Thanks auto208562! Appreciate your response.

I guess I'm looking for more specifics like (examples):

Do you wear swimsuit under your wetsuit or do you where the shorts you are going to ride on the bike?

If you where your bike shorts under your wetsuit, when do you apply Assos cream or similar product?

Best Practice....do you put your cycling shoes next to your bike or in your transition bag?

What is a special needs bag?

So specific things like above and any thing that you have found helpful in executing your transition.

Thanks for your help!

2008-01-21 12:45 AM
in reply to: #1167390

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Well, you're going to get a range of answers but just to answer your questions, for me personally, I wear my tri shorts under my wetsuit and wore it for the bike leg. I did not change to bike shorts but I did have a bike jersey in my bike bag. I put my cycling shoes in my bag as the 30 seconds or whatever it would save by keeping them on my pedals would not make a difference for me. A special needs bag is usually at the 1/2 way point of the bike and run. For the bike, I had a spare tube and CO2 and some gels, and for the run, I had a jacket in there as I knew I would be running in the dark. Whatever you put in the special needs bag, make sure you get them because you won't get the things back.
2008-01-21 3:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi, it would help if you could give us your goal for the race, (ie, to finish, break 12h, kona slot, etc) a lot changes depending on your goals, but:

-Wearing the bike/shorts/trisuit under the wetsuit is a very good idea, it saves time, but if you are racing in a very cold weather, you might want to rethink this, and add an arm warmer in your T1 bag

-You might apply the cream before the race or in T1, if have them applyed properly, then you better put your bike shorts only in T1 and not swim with them

-Unless you keep the bike shoes clipped to the pedals, I dont think you are allowed to leave them just next to the bike, so you might take them from T1 with you up to the bike and put them there, as walking on those are a nightmare.

-Special Needs bags is basically "planned outside assitance", a plastic bag you can use at some point in a race (usually 90k bike, 21k run), just leave there whatever you might need "just in case" be it extra food, vaseline, armwarmer, etc

Cheers and good luck,
vinnie

2008-01-21 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Cyclingmaniac - 2008-01-21 1:36 AM Thanks auto208562! Appreciate your response. I guess I'm looking for more specifics like (examples): Do you wear swimsuit under your wetsuit or do you where the shorts you are going to ride on the bike? If you where your bike shorts under your wetsuit, when do you apply Assos cream or similar product? Best Practice....do you put your cycling shoes next to your bike or in your transition bag? What is a special needs bag? So specific things like above and any thing that you have found helpful in executing your transition. Thanks for your help!

Agree with other posters about knowing your goals and how much time you want to save in your transitions.  At IMUSA this year I opted to go with full clothing changes before heading onto the bike and then changing from bike stuff to running clothes in T1.  Wore a jammer under my wetsuit and changed into bike shorts and threw on a bike jersey in transition.  The night before / morning I had liberally lubed up the bike shorts, turned them sort of inside out and put them in a plastic zip lock back so it wouldn't get all over everything else.  Didn't want to have to monkey around with it in T1.  Everything I needed (shorts, jersey, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, etc) was in my T1 bag.   I arrived into T1 to a pretty heavy crowd so grabbed my own T1 bag off the rack and went into a very crowded changing tent.   Lots of naked folks sitting / standing near the entrance so if you make your way to the farther end of the tent more room and easier to find a chair to sit.   Whether or not there is help from a volunteer depended on how crowded it was.  For T1 I had little help as the volunteers were busy helping others.   After changing to bike stuff I crammed my wetsuit, cap, goggles, jammers in to the T1 bag and a volunteer took it to a pile where it apparently later was put back on the rack where I had picked it up.  Don't forget to get sunscreened by a volunteer.  I didnt' get enough on my neck and felt like I was frying the 2nd half of the bike.  Depending on the race and the number of folks coming out of transition with you they may or may not have your bike waiting.  I had to grab my own bike off the rack.   

When I finished the bike and hit the dismount line handed my bike to a volunteer and then immediately took my bike shoes off and ran barefoot carrying the shoes as I went over to the racks to pick up my T2 bag.  After 112 miles I was ready to get the shoes off and it was a lot easier than trying to run on the cleats.  I believe this time a volunteer had grabbed my bag for me off the rack and handed it to me as I arrived. 

T2 bag I had running shorts, new jersey, fresh socks, running shoes, cap.  Again did the complete change in clothing.  Hit some key areas with Body Glide.  Started to pack my bike stuff (helmet, shoes, etc)  into the bag when this time a volunteer came over and took over the packing things up for me.  Had more sunscreen applied in T2.   

Special needs bag(s) is/are bag you can pack with items that you personally thinking you may need / want out on the course.  1 for the bike, 1 for the run.  Have the opportunity to pick it up at ~1/2 way on the bike and the other bag ~1/2 way on the run.  What you put in it will be a personal decision based on what you think you'll need/want that the course/race doesn't provide.  For the bike I was using an IM Cocktail so in my special needs I had replacement bottles for the 2nd loop.   To keep the bottles cold I bought one of those silver, keep things cool or hot bags from the grocery store and put the bottles in one of them.  Worked great.  Additionally, had an uncrustable (which I had practiced eating a number of times on long rides).  Also had a spare tube/CO2 as I was paranoid since I got a flat that morning pumping up my tires before the race.  Put in a small zip lock back with cream for the bike shorts in the event I felt the need to re-lube up.  All I ended up using was the extra bottles of IM cocktail.  While not in my bike special needs bag I did pick up hugs and kisses from my wife and kids who had positioned themselves at Special Needs.  For the run special needs I had a throwaway long sleeve dri fit (in case it started to cool down), extra Endurloytes, and a couple of gels that I knew I could tolerate when things got tough.  Never grabbed anything from the run special needs bag.   You should plan on not being able to retrieve anything left in your special needs bag post race.  At IMUSA I was able to get my bike special needs bag back after the race but my run one was nowhere to be found. 

For me, I took my time in transitions (~10 mins) as I didn't want to forget anything, wanted to change to fresh clothes each time and for me a few minutes savings in transition wasn't going to make a big difference in my day and the overall experience. 

2008-01-21 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
CNIDog: nice overview ....
2008-01-21 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1168186

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Best way to practice ...... Go to the Mall or some large shopping center where there are a bunch of people.  Then spray the floor with a hose to make it nice and slick.  Then yell out your number and hope someone recognizes it and hands you the bag with your number on it.  Then stand in the middle of the crowd (because it will be hard to find a spot to sit to change) and try to get your cycling stuff on remembering to stuff your jersey pocket with all the food you need for the start and put your helmet on.  Then throw your bag at someone who isn't changing and elbow your way to the door to get to your bike.  Then push your bike while clip-clopping in your cleats as fast as you can to another part of the mall and try to get on the bike ........ proceed to ride only 5 mph as people who don't know how to clip into their pedals come to a dead stop/fall over/weave.  After this you can finally get up to speed and ride!

The bike to run will be just like any other tri as it will have nicely spread out a lot by the time everyone gets back to the transition area.

Hope that helps!!

Edited by Daremo 2008-01-21 2:32 PM
2008-01-21 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1168253

User image

Veteran
Ok, I must say that this was funny as hell, AND brought me some good memories from my transitions at races! Feels the same as you described actually. One thing I would add, do it all DRUNK, as I pretty much feel kinda dizzy after an IM swim.

Vinnie

2008-01-22 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Thanks CNIDog for the details, and Daremo for how it actually works.  My first IM is next November, so I'm trying to learn everything I can to prepare.

In theory there's no difference between practice and theory,
In practice there is. 

2008-01-22 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great idea about puting the chamois buttered shorts in a ziploc!!  I will use that one!  I plan of complete costume changes it IM.  Swimming is a bathing suit under my wetsuit.  hange to bike shotys and jersey and then to run shorts and a fresh shirt.  Fresh socks and probably an extra pair in both special needs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Practices for IM Transitions Rss Feed