General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike vs tri bike in DATT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-25 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: road bike vs tri bike in DATT
For those of you who have done the Triple T, would you recommend a road bike or a tri bike, if you had both. I realize it is a triathlon but since I will be using it as an early season long training weekend, I am unsure which bike to ride. I know for the few other hilly early season rides I have planned (Tour of the Mississippi River Valley, etc) I'll likely be on my road bike. Plus, I am doing the DATT as a team and drafting on a tri bike can be iffy.

Any comments/recommendation?

2008-01-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1176676

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: road bike vs tri bike in DATT

Well I'm not an expert by any means. I did the TTT last year and the Little Smokies the year before that (that is the 1/2 Iron distance on Sun) the first year I used my road bike and last year I used my tri bike. I felt stronger on the Tri Bike last year, but I say that with the understading that my Tri bike is very much a better bike, componant wise, than my entry level road bike. Most of the other atletes were on their Tri bikes and yes there is a lot of climbing and some tight turns but they are manageable with the Tri bike. I think that the Tri bike helped me. I hope this helps. Looking forward to it this year and I plan not to finish Last this year

Chris

PS I think that some of the "hardcore " folks over at Slowtwitch had a discussion about the Tri vs Road for TTT, It think it will come up on a search. But be careful over there

Edited by chrisrunzs26 2008-01-26 12:26 PM
2008-01-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1177235

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Thanks. I'll do a search on ST. I am a constant lurker and sometimes poster over there so I am prepared for what could happen.

And don't worry about being last. I am sure me and my teammate will take that spot

2008-01-26 3:37 PM

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID
No Expert here either but here is what I did.

I have a Giant OCR C3 with regular handle bars. I put Profile areo bars and shifters on and that has made a ton of difference. I feel more in the "right position" I know this is the cheap way to get some what closer to a "tri" bike ... but the wife won't let me buy the $4500 cervelo I saw in the bike shop.
2008-01-27 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1177399

Veteran
I think we can have the "last to the finish comp" for the cabin.

I chose a gorilla for my avatar for a reason.

Edited by bigscarymonster 2008-01-27 7:43 PM
2008-01-31 2:59 PM

Expert
I was wondering about the same thing. I'm going to use the tri bike because my legs feel so much better after the ride. The climbing will be about the same on both bikes, but I have no descending skills (other than constantly braking). My thought was that the road bike would give me more confidence going fast downhill.

Hey, we're only four months away from the race!

2008-02-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1187220

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Geez - y'all complicating this thing more and more. I was hoping for a weekend of camping, now i'm doing 4 tris AND have to decide on which bike to use.

How big are these hills that descending would be an issue? Are they like IM-Wisconsin? My tri bike is currently my choice, but i'm now sort of considering my road bike. But do i use training wheels or should I go with carbon race tubulars?

If i was packing my van today - i would bring my tri-bike and both sets of wheels. I also would have 11-23 and 12-27 casstte. For the sprint deal on Friday nite, i might switch out pedals from my commuter bike so i don't have to change shoes.

What is the strategy for the Sat PM tri. Never got off bike and into the water yet. Wetsuit easy to put on? What is swimming like after hard 40K ride? Running is one thing, but i should do an hour spin class then jump in pool at the club.

COmplete newbie to the TTT - are the campsites (tent, not the lodges or cabins) fairly adequete for the weekend and easy to navigate?

Thanks - Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike vs tri bike in DATT Rss Feed