General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a last mintue decision. Scott and I had our wedding reception on Friday night and all of our family were down visiting. We had no intention of signing up but decided last minute it might be fun.

Got up ate a peanutbutter sandwich and coffee and headed down to the race start...it was CHILLY!
Event warmup:

Jogged around and tried to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 38m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I raced great...felt fantastic...then I hit mile 12 which was the top of the Cape Fear Bridge and tripped on the grating. I fell hard...on my knees and right side. I couldn't even move. A guy who had been pacing with me stopped when I fell, picked up and put my on the side of the bridge. A cop car drove up...and I got inside. I had cut my knees, palms, and my upper lip (a pic even made it in the newspaper). I got in the car and the cop asked me if I wanted to go back to the finish line in an ambulance...I was so close to the end that I said, I think I want to finish. He told me to wipe the blood from my face. I did and got out of the car and hobbled to the end. I was REALLY sore afterwards. Both knees were bruised, my lip could have used stitches and I bruised my right hip and side. Later I found out that I torn a chest wall muscle but did do the final damage until the Kiawah Island Marathon a month later where I had a complete tear of my chest wall muscle. I made one trip to urgent care and two trips to the ER and they could not find out what was causing my pain...they thought gallstones. A chest xray finally showed the tear!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...maybe be more cautious next time on the bridge.
Post race
Event comments:

Thank you medical tent for cleaning up my cuts and scrapes!!

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:37 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: The course was pretty flat...it started at the Battleship and then we did a huge loop over the Isabel Holmes Bridge, went through downtown, around Greenfield Lake and then back over the Cape Fear Bridge retuning to the Battleship.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-25 10:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K

2008-02-01 4:31 AM
in reply to: #1176903

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K
By your logs looks like your back to training. Sounds like a heck of a spill, hope your feeling no ill effects.

Hoping to get down your way for a race some day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed