General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike, new pains, fit/aero questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-26 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: New bike, new pains, fit/aero questions

Coming from a road bike background of many years, now I have a new tri bike. I did get a fitting and I can take it back in for adjustments I am sure -- it's just not terribly convenient. Wednesday I did a short ride (20 miles). From that ride I have a couple issues.

Issue #1 Knee strain -- probably saddle height. I did not notice any knee issues during or immediately after the ride right away. A couple days later after a run, though, I am feeling strain in a knee, in the back and maybe center. There was nothing remarkable about my run, it's a distance and pace that I am comfortable with. I'm guessing my saddle is too high for what my knees prefer (definitely higher than my current road bike setup) and that a strain from the ride only became apparent after my run.  I am considering lowering the saddle on the new bike since that's the biggest change that I've experienced recently.  If I drop the seat a quarter to half inch or so, should I also slide the saddle back a touch at the same time?

Item #2 is more related to aero position I think -- triceps fatigued, neck sore/tired. About a half hour into the ride my triceps started to fatigue a little. 45 minutes into the ride my neck was getting a little sore/tired trying to keep my head up and looking forward. I found this thread on another site from a search, and the poster describes how I feel to a "T" (Neck Strain). If I allowed my head to drop forward a little and I look forward by rolling my eyes up and using peripheral vision, my helmet was blocking my view. Now, I guess I can shop for a lighter helmet that's cut a little higher in the front to allow better vision with my head down. Any suggestions on that? Also, one of the replies to the linked thread suggests that this might result from being a little too stretched out. Any thoughts there, or should I just give it a few more rides to see if I acclimate?  Thanks.

2008-01-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1177450

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: New bike, new pains, fit/aero questions
Personally, I wouldn't make too many adjustments until you have more time on the bike. Going from road to tri is a COMPLETELY different position and utilizes different muscle groups. I got a new tri bike in November and really resisted making any changes until I had a few hours in the saddle.

You WILL feel fatigue in your neck and arms (probably back too) because you are supporting yourself in a completely new way. T.I.T.S. will help to rectify that.

You may eventually need to make the adjustments you are thinking. But make sure you give your body enough time to adjust to the new position. Some discomfort is expected for a while.

Resist the temptation of making multiple changes at once. Work on one thing at a time. That way, if you find a new pain or discomfort, you can more easily track the source.

Regarding your knee pain. Did you get new shoes and pedals at the same time?
2008-01-26 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1177460

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

D.Z. - 2008-01-26 2:37 PM   Regarding your knee pain. Did you get new shoes and pedals at the same time?

Pedals are virtually identical to my road bike (older Look).  Shoes are my road shoes, haven't purchased a tri pair yet. 

2008-01-26 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1177450

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

I'm having the same issues. I'm sure some of it is because of the new position. But when I went back to my LBS, they didn't act like I should be that uncomfortable. When I was aero, I could feel the tightness in my neck and upper back. After refitting, the tightness was much lower. Even the fitter could touch the area and feel a difference.

My first fit was with a guy who goes by looks and how the rider feels - very non-technical. The 2nd guy is much more technical with angles, etc. He shortened my stem, lowered my seat and raised my handlebars, and it made a world of difference. After some time, I hope to be able to get a little more aggressive, but when I look at my reflection, I'm still very aero now and a lot more comfortable.

I also thought about the weight of my helmet, but found that what I have and what I would buy were within 10 grams or so of each other, so relatively insignificant. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike, new pains, fit/aero questions Rss Feed