Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Apple Rant! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-27 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: Apple Rant!

I've been a Mac fan since I first learned Apple Basic on the Apple IIc and wrote software for the Apple IIe.

Imagine my delight when the situation arose to purchase a Powerbook G4 several years ago.  My wife had finally had it with Windows and so a purchase was readily made.  Because I'd planned on using some of the video editing software (which I have used - so making the purchase worth it) - I went with the 17" screen and the highest available processing package.

Since then, we had the tuner go out on the screen.  The laptop had been dropped so the corner on the case was dented, thus voiding the warranty - costing much denaro to fix.

Then, someone trips over the power cord, destroying the power unit, which of course has to be fixed.

We get that fixed not less then 3 months ago and last night my dog runs across the room, trips on the power cord - send the computer crashing down from my wife's dresser, damaging the very same power unit.

No harm right?  It is merely a cosmetic issue as the frame is dented, but the computer and everything else works perfectly normal.  My wife takes it to the Apple Store to see how much it would be to fix the cosmetic issue, they run a diagnostic and we find out the RAM is in the process of corrupting itself.  It seems that in a push to get this product launch out, Apple overcrowded the RAM and our particular model has a high incident rate of TOTAL FAILURE.

The computer is over 2 years old and Apple overs NO warranty whatsoever.  So now we have to pay ANOTHER huge repair bill to have this problem fixed, otherwise the computer will be a very expensive paperweight in a couple of months.

I love the Apple computers, the interface and the ease of use - but one major complaint I have about Apple is that they operate on the corporate assumption that any computer should only be used for a couple of years and after that you should just purchase a new computer (or iPod).

So basically we have to shell out $$$ to keep our computer alive - this fix will only last for about 2 years, but if we upgrade to the new Leopard operating system, they have an internal fix that will keep the system alive for a couple more years extra.

I'm spending a BOATLOAD of money on a piece of electronic equipment that my wife uses to check email and play Hoyle Board Games.

Rant over... 

2008-01-27 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1178394

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Apple Rant!

one word...

DELLKiss

2008-01-27 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Those are a lot of bold statements based on your lone experiance and one that you dropped twice. But go ahead, blame apple and their " ...operat[ion] on the corporate assumption that any computer should only be used for a couple of years" Also I wouldn't take the word of a kid at an apple store getting paid 10 dollars an hour to tell you apples widespread woes.

Considering RAM is manufactured by a third party, and multipule vendors are used on every model, I doubt apple "overcrowded the RAM".

It sucks when you have a computer that has things go wrong, but that is why you have a warranty. And if you drop it, sucks but thats life. If you crash you're car they're not going to keep the warranty either...

I hope you have better luck next time.
2008-01-27 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Oh and don't forget about magsafe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

2008-01-27 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1178702

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

bradword - 2008-01-27 7:38 PM Those are a lot of bold statements based on your lone experiance and one that you dropped twice. But go ahead, blame apple and their " ...operat[ion] on the corporate assumption that any computer should only be used for a couple of years" Also I wouldn't take the word of a kid at an apple store getting paid 10 dollars an hour to tell you apples widespread woes. Considering RAM is manufactured by a third party, and multipule vendors are used on every model, I doubt apple "overcrowded the RAM". It sucks when you have a computer that has things go wrong, but that is why you have a warranty. And if you drop it, sucks but thats life. If you crash you're car they're not going to keep the warranty either... I hope you have better luck next time.

With all do respect, I have enough intelligence and insight into the operations of my computers to understand what transpires and how these things operate.  Those years of Engineering school studying electrical and computer engineering, as well as working in this industry for 7 years gives me the benefit to know the difference between a faulty operating environment, the words spoken by someone given the title "genuis" by the acceptance of his job application at the Apple Store and the physicality of my 17 inch computer after it had been dropped - including removing the case and performing some troubleshooting operations. 

Plus, you have to admit that Apple is VERY restrictive about backwards compatibility in their operating systems.  I have an older Mac that is useless because they stopped supporting the operating system.  It is only through creative patchwork that you can get these systems to work.  I've purchased s/w in the current Apple stores where I had to install System 9.0 OS, which then crashes in OS 10.4. My own follow-up with Apple included them basically saying that I should find an application in the system 10.4 formatting...

My rant isn't a by-product of a sore consumer who bought an Apple, dropped it repeatedly and then is and moaning because things stopped working BECAUSE THE COMPUTER WAS DROPPED.  In fact, Apple has even come out and publicly acknowledged their own faulty design on the power cords for the G4 models.  My complaint is that the embedded RAM is self-destructing...

2008-01-27 8:52 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
There isn't embedded ram in the powerbook G4 line. It's all 3rd party and replaceable. Don't buy any ram from apple, it is a rip of price wise. Get it online for 1/10 of the price and a lifetime warranty.

2008-01-28 9:52 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Imagine you sold something to a person.  That person comes back and admits to dropping or knocking that product to the floor numerous times.  Would you feel obligated to cover any damage the computer has?  You can't say the screen didn't go bad because it was dropped.  You admitted to tripping on the power cord 2 times, that could easily mess up the power connector.  RAM is pretty sensitive, so while there may be a high incedence of failure on that model, how can you say that you didn't damage the RAM by dropping it? It could have been knocked loose or had a minute crack develop. 

I don't care what brand it is, if you brought a laptop into my (hypothetical) store with dents in it, I would not fix it for free.  I am sorry you are out some cash, but maybe you should be a bit more careful with your expensive toys. 

2008-01-28 10:23 AM

User image

DC
Just a little note to make you feel better- I had a very similar situation a couple years ago. I tripped on my PowerBook cord twice, voiding the warranty, then my hard drive crashed

My new MacBook has a magnetic power cord that automatically falls out before the whole computer falls...
2008-01-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1178805

User image

Pro
Reston

bradword - 2008-01-27 8:54 PM Oh and don't forget about magsafe! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

That thing has saved me from having to buy a new MacBook about 10 times in the last 6 months. 

2008-01-29 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

I've worked in IT in a pretty large ad agency for about 10 years now and we're split about 50-50 apple and dell. From 10 years of personal experience working on desktops, laptops, servers and accessories, dell support and warranties outshine apple pretty much every time. All the while, on average, costing much less. I will never say that aesthetically dell can even hold a candle to apple on desktops or laptops, and I do know that can cause a rise in cost.

I can use whatever I want, and I use a MacBook Pro. However, when I ordered it the other guy that I work closely with ordered a dell at pretty much the same time, within a week. Our computers have the EXACT same processor, memory, similar video card, etc. Spec are nearly identical, same warranty (3 year applecare on mine.) Mine was about $3400, his was about $2200. Of course his is about twice the thickness and I look cooler with mine than he does

On a side note, dell now offers a comprehensive warranty that covers drops, spills, etc. It's more money but it covers everything.

On another side note, wearing my corporate hat, apple does some stuff that annoys me. Take for example road maps. Once a quarter we have a conf call with dell and they lay out the new products they have coming out, when current ones will be discontinued etc. Apple on the other hand doesn't believe in that. We find out when the rest of the world does, which is fine most of the time, but sometimes is a real kick in the pants. Like when they switched to Intel processors in their laptops and immediately discontinued the G4 laptops. I understand the move, it's a great move, but being an ad agency with about 150 laptops all running Photoshop, etc., it would have been nice to know they were doing this ahead of time so we could have loaded up on G4 laptops to hold us over the 9ish months it took for intel versions of photoshop, etc. to come out. They don't need to tell us about ipods, iphones, etc., but desktops, laptops and servers would be nice.

That said just try to take my mac away.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Apple Rant! Rss Feed