General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Check in from SoCal Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-08 8:46 PM

Subject: Check in from SoCal
Hi everybody:
I've been lurking around the site for a couple of weeks, and finally decided to join in. I'm just starting this tri thing, and this site is great for getting info, inspiration, etc. I've been a runner since high school track and cross-country, and I've been doing marathons for the last 4 years, but started getting burned out and felt the need to start something new. My wife does tri's, and suggested I try it. I'm fine with the running (doing 15 miles fairly easily, ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago in 1:37), and I'm OK with cycling, but the swim is my nemesis. I signed up for my first tri (Mission Bay Tri in san diego, Oct), and started splashing around in the pool but didn't get any formal coaching. I thought I would be OK for the 500 meter swim, especially since I discovered that I probably wouldn't drown with the buoyancy of my wetsuit. However, the difference between being in a pool and being in the open water was shocking. As soon as I started going, I was being kicked by other people, it was freezing cold, and I couldn't see where I was going. Anyway, I ended up doing 19:00 for a 500 meter swim (ouch!)with alot of dogpaddling and sidestroking, but sort of made up for it with a 20:30 5K at the end.
My question for everyone out there: is it really possible for a beginner swimmer to improve significantly? I'm taking swim lessons now at a local pool, and I'm trying to laps once or twice a week, but I still get winded after only swimming 25 meters. I'm hoping to do an international distance race in the summer.
Thanks everyone!

2004-02-08 10:21 PM
in reply to: #6495

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Check in from SoCal
It takes time to get the swim down for many people.  Don't give up!  With your other abilities you stand an excellet chance in having a great breakthrough.
2004-02-08 11:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Welcome and congratulations on completing your first. Like you I did my first triathlon without any swim training. It was a 1/2 ironman, 20 years ago when I was 18. I finished middle of the pack, but I only beat two people out of the lake on the swim. Did a lot of breast stroke. Took a couple of swim classes in college, which helped quite a bit. Been a potato the last 10 years, and started training again late last summer to get back into the tri thing. Getting back in the pool, I built my swims up to 4k, but still very slow. Saw a lot of people mention TI on this site and checked it out. I've tried implementing what I found over there in the free stuff section has really help my swim over the last month or so. So I've ordered the book and video. Anyway I'd recommend at least checking out that site. There's a lot of good info in the free stuff section, and the online magazine. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

video clips of their drills:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/ti-workshop-day.html

book exerpts:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/free-books.html

Good luck. I know with a little persistance you'll be great.

JD

2004-02-09 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes, it definitely is possible for a beginner swimmer to improve significantly. Find a swim team in your area and learn the techniques for the various strokes. Practice dilligently and you will show remarked improvement your first time out. It is boring as heck I know but if one wishes to improve at anything it is a matter of training and dull mind numbing repetition.
2004-02-14 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
I was in your same situation. I ran cross country and track throughout high school. I also did the Chicago Marathon my first year of college. Running burned me out and I needed a switch. So turning to multisport was the answer. The land events come naturally to me, but the swimming was a struggle. I started out by getting in the pool everyday. From there I started doing a few open water swims to help get use to the water. However, I was not prepared for getting kicked by other people. Finding someone else to do your open water swims really helps out. Try to trail them and get use to seeing their feet in front of you. Also, check out the book Triathlon 101. They give some great pointers in there for every aspect of triathloning. Take it easy and good luck in the coming season.

2004-02-14 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Welcome Steven - If you can spring it - a full wet suit will "buy" you the swim segment - it will keep you buoyant. Next best advice is to check out Total Immersion swimming - link already provided. No doubt you can do it.

2004-02-15 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Welcome!! I am sure you will do great with the swim! You can acomplish ANYTHING that you want bad enough. Jack.
2004-02-16 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
When I first got back into the water this last Dec I felt like a brick tryin to move forward. But having had some teenage swim team training, it wasn't long before I got back into it. Being more of a runner than swimmer I agree it takes a lot out of you. It seems for swimming, technique is everything. So get some proper coaching for an efficient stroke and drill a lot. As you body gets the technique you will start getting faster and will go longer w/o getting out of breath. The hardest part I have always had with my swimming is getting my lungs back and being able to go 3-4 strokes on one breath instead of gasping every stroke cycle. I like doing Zen breathing exercises to help.

Good luck and it sounds like your on your way. Lee
2004-02-17 9:45 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Sup Dude.

Swimming will come with practice and time.
2004-02-18 12:32 AM

Another swimming question:
Is it really better to breathe on both sides? I'm not too bad breathing to my right, but every time I breathe to the left, I end up swallowing water and completely throwing myself off. Is it worth it to try to do something that feels unnatural for the potential future benefits? What does everyone think?
2004-02-18 2:50 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I am forcing myself to bilateral breath on each side to even out my stroke. It seems I pull much harder with my left arm when I only breath on my right side? And I suck in alot of water on my odd left side still. More practice I guess.

2004-02-18 11:19 AM

It took me months to get the bilateral breathing thing down. Just in the past couple of weeks am I now able to do it comfortably. I think this type of breathing does even out your stroke -- and gets you to lift the "other" elbow as high as the breathing one. It also gives the option of breathing on the side that the bouys will be on (I had that problem last year when I was not doing bileteral), or looking on each side at least periodically to see who might be (too) close to you.

When I started to teach my self this skill, I was sure I could drown! But gradually it "took". To start, I used my outstretched arm to help keep me afloat a bit longer to take a breath on the "wrong" side. I would try to swim one length breathing on one side, the next length on the other (it took a while to be able to do a WHOLE length on that other side.

Eventually I was doing it --albeit quite uncmfortably until those past couple of weeks. When I was practicing, and would feel I was not getting enough air, I would do two breaths on the one side, then two on the other for the entire length or until I was comfortable. I still do that little thing because there are times when I feel I ma not getting the air I need.

I think this is a great skill to have in our arsenal even if we use it only once in a while for the reasons mentioned above.

My 2 cents....

2004-02-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: #7921

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
definately try to learn bilateral breathing. Guaranteed there will be someone thrashing on your strong side and it's all clear on the other. Or the waves are coming at you from your good side, leaving it nice and clear on the other. Just one more thing to practice!
2004-02-18 2:24 PM

I do recommend that you learn bilateral breathing but to be honest with you, it's not a must. In your first post, you talked about how you were a beginning swimmer and right now the most important thing for you to focus on is getting comfortable and strong with the basics. Doing things like making sure you have the stroke motions perfected and doing drills to strengthen your kicking and arm pulls make the most sense right now. I have been swimming constantly on a swim team since I was four years old and I didn't learn to breathe bilaterally until I was almost eight years old. However, bilateral breathing does have advantages and I suggest that if you want to learn this you should make it your goal not to ever breathe every stroke no matter how tired you get. The reason I was taught to breathe bilaterally was because towards the end of my races, I would breathe every time I took a stroke with my right arm. Bilateral breathing is meant to help increase the amount of strokes between your breathes because you naturally swim faster when you have your head straight rather than sideways taking a breathe. I've found that taking a breathe every third or fifth stroke helps, especially with the count-down strokes into flipturns (although you don't use flipturns in triathlons, it's a great time saver when training). I'm glad that you are interested in learning more about the swimming aspect of triathloning and if you have any questions feel free to ask me. Swimming is my strongest part of the triathlons while running is where I struggle so I might have some questions for you in the future as far as running goes. Good luck and have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Check in from SoCal Rss Feed