Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-11-26 5:29 PM
in reply to: #86649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: RE: Yup, I fell off my bike!
Congratulations, and as many have said, welcome to the club!

My first ride on clipless (SPD), I fell four times... three of them in traffic at stoplights. It really is a rite of passage. It's hard to learn a new habit like clipping out.

For me, it was becaue I had forgotten to tighten the cleat down fully on my left shoe. The shoe was rotating around the cleat and wouldn't release from the pedal till my left toe was pointing at my right heel. Since I was deeply ingrained in the habit of leaning left when I stopped, by the time I realized I couldn't get my foot loose it was waay too late to shift my balance and perch on my right foot.

Had no choice but to endure the SLOOW MOTION tip over fall.

Things will get much better quickly as you get used to them.

Remember, there are only two types of cyclists... those who HAVE fallen and those who WILL.

Cheers!

2004-11-26 6:47 PM

User image

melbourne
the clipless devil strikes again, every now and then i almost forget and go to swin the foot out with out the twist.
Glad your ok, hows the bike?
2004-11-26 7:55 PM
in reply to: #86830

User image

Master
South Florida
[ They don't happen to have swim/run duathlons do they? ;-)

I was wondering the same thing, when I saw they had an aquathon series here recently. Back in Ohio, they had an event called the "splash and dash"-an indoor swim and outdoor run in the early spring...not sure how to keep the hair from freezing on that one. Try searching for "aquathon"-maybe something will turn up.

I don't know how to take part of someone else's email and put it on mine...I'm not very good at this computer stuff...

Edited by Mimir98 2004-11-26 7:56 PM
2004-11-27 12:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Hey, all. Threads like these kept me from getting clipless pedals for about 6 months. I'm glad you are fine, GatorGirl, and you probably won't forget that you're clipped in any time soon.

To those of you who are now scared off of clipless due to a fear of falling (as I was), not everybody falls the first time out. I haven't fallen (yet). Yes, I know I will. My point isn't to brag, but to let those contemplating going clipless that falls aren't inevitable. Because of my fear, I tend to clip out way early and approach potential stops pedalling with one leg.

Watch me go out tomorrow and fall!

2004-11-27 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Oh, I feel your pain.  Been there, done that. Aren't you glad to get that part of bicycle learning done with??  I am glad you are OK.

2004-11-27 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

I must be more "challenged" than others.  Because, I FELL MANY MANY MANY TIMES! There was once I stopped at a light with a steep hill in front.  I pedalled forward with my clipped-in foot. But because the hill was so steep,  I couldnt press the pedal forward, and fell down.  The guy in a car laughed as he passed me.

Hows that for embarrassment =p

Sigh.......scarred for life......

2004-11-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: #86964

New user

Talk about scarred for life, I actually have a nice long scar on the back of my calf. You can see quite clearly that it is from my bike chain, and it happened one of the many times I fell when I couldn't clip out. It wouldn't be that bad if it were a "cool story" scar but a "my bike fell on top of me b/c I couldn't unclip" kind of scar story is just pathetic! It's pretty darn ugly too. :-( Kind of like the huge scar on my back where the lane rope attacked me many years ago. I'm a mess!

I'm totally impressed with those of you who did not fall when you first tried your clipless!
2004-11-29 1:58 AM
in reply to: #86683

Nelson, NZ
Welcome to the club. It's especially fun whilst speeding down a hill on a MTB.

p.s. this cracked me up:
scuba-punk - 2004-11-27 2:15 AMBy the 5th or 6th time you do it, you'll be laughing so hard, sports drink will shoot out of your nose even if you weren't drinking any.-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yup, I fell off my bike! Rss Feed  

of 2