General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bars vs Normal Bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-29 2:59 AM

Expert
Subject: Tri Bars vs Normal Bars
If I want to do both triathlon/ironman races but also pure cycle races would a bike with tri bars or normal cycle bars be best?

Some cycle races it is illegal to have tri bars. But then I don't want to spend heaps of money buying both sets if I only need 1 set?

Please help! I'm buying my 1st racing bike and I don't know what to do...

2008-01-29 3:09 AM
in reply to: #1181074

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Bars vs Normal Bars
Easy...Just get a pair of aerobars, and not the full set of aerobars+basebars.Put it on for the tri races and tri specific training, and take it off for the cycling races and training.

Vinnie

2008-01-29 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Actually, for all mass-start bike races, aero bars are illegal. Only in time trials are they allowed. Now if you're including events like centuries in that mix (not true races), well, they allow them. But beyond that, there are further restrictions between the two in the way of overall geometry of the bike. And these also will greatly affect how well the bike will "adapt" to the other discipline. Not many bikes out there will transfer well from one to the other.
2008-01-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1181342

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1181342

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

briderdt - 2008-01-29 10:26 AM Actually, for all mass-start bike races, aero bars are illegal. Only in time trials are they allowed.

And so are "tri bars" in the sense of bullhorn style bars.  In USCF road and crit events you are only allowed to run standard drop style bars.

If you are doing organized/sponsored charity rides or riding events, then just read the rules for the event to see what they allow.  (And not to be too much of an arrogant roadie snob, but those types of events are NOT races - pet peeve of mine when people call them that).

2008-01-29 11:30 AM

Champion
South Jersey

supa-powa - 2008-01-29 3:59 AM If I want to do both triathlon/ironman races but also pure cycle races would a bike with tri bars or normal cycle bars be best? Some cycle races it is illegal to have tri bars. But then I don't want to spend heaps of money buying both sets if I only need 1 set? Please help! I'm buying my 1st racing bike and I don't know what to do...

Well, you're talking about two different types of bikes here, and not the same type of bike with different bars. The bikes that come with "tri bars" (pursuits with aerobars) are tri bikes, and they have a totally different frame geometry than a bike that comes with "normal cycle bars" (drops and horns), which would be a road bike. It is not suggested to put pursuits on a road bike, but you can certainly add aerobars to the road bike bars.

If you plan on doing road racing and tris, and only want one bike, then you should get a road bike. You can add aerobars to them when you'll need them (for a tri), but remove them when you're not allowed to use them (for your road races). You just won't be able to shift from the end of the aerobars with that setup, but it allows you to use the same bike for all your different races, with the best possible set up. Now, if you get fitted, a "tri" fit on a road bike and a regular road bike fit on the same bike will be a little different, so you might end making a few other adjustments to your bike when you add or remove the aerobars.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bars vs Normal Bars Rss Feed