General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood donations and impact on subsequent workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-29 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: Blood donations and impact on subsequent workouts

For those who have donated blood and worked out soon thereafter, did you experience any negative physiological results, e.g. lethargy, accelerated HR, etc.?

I'm a regular blood donor and gave last night. This morning's bike work out (CT for about an hour) was more difficult (at least by HR relative to power output) than recent training sessions.  On the surface it would make sense that endurance might be compromised (less blood =? less oxygen transport), but I'm no MD.

Just curious.....

2008-01-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1181384

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Blood donations and impact on subsequent workouts
Hey there! I am not an MD, but I am a regular blood donor as well.  I always give on Saturday around 1 so I can get a Saturday morning workout in, then give blood, then have the rest of Saturday for my body to "recoup".  I almost always then go for a long bike ride or long run on Sunday morning after.  I never feel lethargic during this workout. Not sure if it's because I have a little more time to build back up Saturday afternoon and evening, or if it's just cuz I am a sturdy girl. :-)  I just gave this past Saturday, and had a fabo run Sunday morning, so not sure what my magic is.  Maybe if you are stuck giving at night, then don't work out until after work the next day.  Good luck!
2008-01-29 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Takes a few weeks to replace your red blood cells.  You may or may not feel the difference depending on the intensity of workout.  I wouldn't do it before a race, but other times are perfectly fine if you know you might not have the same workout quality for a bit.
2008-01-29 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I have never had more than a brief lag time following a donation although I wouldn't chance it within a couple weeks of an important race. I did, however, have a big hole to climb out of when I did a plasma donation. I felt like I had no energy for a couple of weeks. I felt like I was misled when I donated because they said I would have no lingering effects beyond a normal donation. I wont do it again.
2008-01-31 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

'tanks for the replies all....the ill effects seem to have been very short-lived. Last two workouts have been "normal" - run and swimmy.

I'll be a bit more sensitized to my workout quality following the next donation in about 8 weeks, just to see if the negative results are repeatable.

2008-02-01 5:06 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I donated blood yesterday morning. I also was travelling the three days prior and had a really poor night's sleep. I was fairly dehydrated most of the week prior to donating blood. Today, I woke up and attempted the 300 Workout. I was much slower and hit fatigue a lot faster. (Normally I can do 25-30 deadlifts before resting, today was sets of 10). I felt dehydrated during the workout and I am weighing a couple of pounds lighter than normal.

I felt like it was a function of dehydration more than anything else.

I donated once after a gym workout. I was smoked afterwards.

Just my experiences.

Steve

2008-02-06 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1190238

User image

Leesburg,

Just to add my two cents.  I gave blood in the a.m. and lifted in the early evening and fell over in a dead faint.  Scary.  The owner of the gym said that the diminished number of red blood cells made me "hypoxic."   Now that I'm training seriously for IM, I've deferred giving.  I need all the red blood cells I got.  But since I've been giving regularly for 40 years, I don't feel too badly about it.  Someone else can pick up the slack for 10 months.

Kate

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood donations and impact on subsequent workouts Rss Feed