General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy from Calgary Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-01 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: New guy from Calgary
Hey,

Stumbled upon this site a couple weeks ago. Actually, knew the site was here for almost a year as I would periodically check out the ironman training plan, never realized there was this huge community though.

So, short story, 31 years old, married, no kids, stable job. Long history of taking up running in January and quitting by March and taking it up again in September and quitting in November. So, did it again January 2007, but stuck with it, couch to 5k to 10k to half marathon, twice, one in May and one in September. Actually didn’t run alot in the summer but we had lots of yard work to do, built a patio, put in grass, important part was I went back to it. BTW 2:18 marathon time for both, not stellar, but I am 220 so I thought it was okay.

Ran my first sprint in August 2007 after buying an old bike and swimming for a month, had a blast, the run was painful.

Decided on a new goal for February this year, always wanted to do a marathon but cannot wait until the summer, they have this 52 km race on the 18th, so have been training to do it. Slightly under trained, but pretty sure I can get it done in the 7 ½ hours they give you. Hopefully under 7.

Bought a new bike mid January, cervelo p2-sl. Put it on the trainer, getting used to the aero position, having a great time. Still need to get a pair of speedos and stop swimming in my shorts though. Started the ironman training program same time, kind of a dry run, working it in with my running training. Race schedule for 2008 is:

February 18 – 52 km
Mid April – Sprint (pool swim)
Beginning June – Oly
Mid June – ½ ironman
September – Ironman, The Grand Columbian

I have had some feedback from my Mentor that the goal of an ironman is a little much for season 1. I don’t know, but I am going to try, now I am not going to kill myself trying but I am going to try.

Anyway, good to be here.

2008-02-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1189427

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: New guy from Calgary
Hey Big, welcome to BT, glad to ssee some more Canadian content on the site, hope to see you around on the forums and good luck with your goals for 08!
2008-02-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1189427

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: New guy from Calgary

Welcome!  Yeah, you will probably get a lot of opinion that going from sprint to IM in one year is too much...but it has been done by several people...successfully.

The good thing is that you have a solid run base so far (looking at your logs).  So that will help a lot.  Just make sure you build your swim and bike volume to transition into the IM plan when it comes time to start it.  You want to be doing each sport 3x per week.  If you do any sport only 2x per week for weeks at a time, I don't think that will help your IM training.  It's going to be about workout frequency.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy from Calgary Rss Feed