General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Workshop Report - Malvey Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-08 11:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: TI Workshop Report - Malvey
This is the easiest way to let folks who have asked know about the TI Workshop I attended in Chicago this weekend. I had to get into Chicago a day early to miss the huge snow storm that hit our area (Dubuque, IA). That was a good decision because I would not have made the workshop. The drive home was a pill - the last 60 miles was on tiny roads through farm country with blowing snow, whiteouts and surprise hockey rinks. "So was it worth it?" someone asked me. ABSOBLOOMIN' YES- It was worth it!)

Here's a brief summary of why I think almost anyone and most certainly beginners would benefit from a TI workshop. (The cost of the workshop is way less than you will spend on your bike, and all the other stuff you will buy to get ready for a tri.)

1. I had a fair running background, little cycling and swam like my cat. But I really wanted to do a tri so decided I would spring for a wet suit and "gut it out" for the swim. (How many of us simply "put up with" the swim portion of a tri. A necessary evil you might say. BIG CHANGE - I have a long way to go - (the coaches at the workshop will agree whole heartedly) - but for the first time I actually believe that the swim part of a tri will be my most enjoyable part! No bull.

2. Best part of the information I received at the workshop. Mark it down - THIS WORKSHOP WILL HELP YOU SAVE YOUR LEGS! Stunning huh? Imagine emerging from the water feeling fairly relaxed and with pretty fresh legs. (Hey - this will have some of you thinking "hardware" right?)

3. TI people are really committed to the folks who come to their workshops and camps. You get every coach's email address along with an invitation to email them or jump on the TI discussion board with questions and - voila - the coaches are right back at you with help and advice. A couple of people who helped me a lot asked me to email them with my progress.

4. Mark Wilson who is Director of Coaching Development and Triathlon Camps, is a triathlete - really knows his stuff - and is able to advise in the whole sport - not just swimming. The majority of the folks who came to learn at this workshop are triathletes or triathlete "gonnabes".

5. You probably can't do this - but if you don't actually enroll in a TI workshop - see if you can get Mark Wilson to let you audit. The classroom presentations are an absolute gas and there are no "dull" moments at this event.

Long and short. Do this! You will not regret it. The worse you think you are at swimming the more this will help you. If you are already a good swimmer - this will likely help you to become a great swimmer. This has been one of the two or three best investments I have ever made. (And you did read the "When Old Guys Tri" column on the website - right? - So I've had lots of time to invest in things.) Tell 'em Malvey sent you!

Go get 'em gang!

2004-02-08 11:11 PM
in reply to: #6521

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: TI Workshop Report - Malvey

Very nice. Thanks for the info. Sounds like if was great for you. I'll be watching your logs to see progress, no pressure. I'm glad it was good for you. Now if they'll just have a workshop here in Korea. I'm there. I see they have one in the Phillipines, maybe I'll have to take a trip. Thanks again.

JD

2004-02-09 12:04 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
I am glad to hear that this workshop was good for you. I will have to definitely look into attending one.

Mike
2004-02-09 6:47 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
thanx for the report. I have always wanted to do the TI weekend in my area, but I think I've already missed it for this year. It's still on top of my wish list.

2004-02-09 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
So what did you learn in the course?  What do they spend the most time on?  Are you like getting critiqued on your form in freestyle and TI drills?
2004-02-09 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
OK. I give. I did a SEARCH for "TI" and only came up with the Timex Ironman. Please fill me in. - Clueless

Edited by GamblerZ 2004-02-09 11:20 AM

2004-02-09 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
The website for total immersion is http://www.totalimmersion.net/
2004-02-09 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Well, now it all makes sense. Thanks.
2004-02-09 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Wow, Malvey. I'm sold... pretty much. I immediately went to the website last night to check it out and was plotting out my finances to try to work in the shorter training camp ($445) although I'd love to go to the week long tri focused for a measley $1065.

Ugh.

I've still got to think A LOT about this, but it was very helpful to hear your evaluation.

Still swimming like a cat, much less a fish,
Dana
2004-02-09 7:58 PM

I appreciate your review of the course. Just yesterday I looked up the one that is coming to my area in March. When I saw the $445 price tag for a weekend I couldn't find a way to justify attending. I might think a bit harder about it after reading your review. I am a decent swimmer, and not intimidated by the swim portion of the TRI, so once again I am questioning spending the amount for a weekend. (Oh but that I were wealthy -- or at least that I worked for someplace other than the State!!!!)

Thanks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Workshop Report - Malvey Rss Feed