General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim caps with ear covers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-04 8:01 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: Swim caps with ear covers?

I need to get a swim cap, since the chlorine is really chewing up what little hair I have remaining.   I also use an ear plug, so I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone and just get a cap that covers my ears.

Do any of you use such a cap, and does it work well for you?  I have relatively big ears, I think, so I'm worried the cap might press on them too hard and put them to sleep, or my giganto ears wouldn't fit well in the cap space designed for them.

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/10239.htm

Any comments?

2008-02-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1194352

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Swim caps with ear covers?
Most caps will slide over the ears (they are designed to), the extra room would be for peeps with bigger ears....however, you will still get water in your ears wearing a cap. So you wouldn't really be killing two birds with one stone since I'm guessing you wear ear plugs because of infections or dizzyness...you'll still want/need the plugs.
2008-02-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1195112

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Ahh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

So are there swim caps that incorporate ear plugs into the design, or am I merely dreaming on that front?

2008-02-05 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1195204

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
krludwig - 2008-02-05 10:40 AM

Ahh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

So are there swim caps that incorporate ear plugs into the design, or am I merely dreaming on that front?

I've never heard of something like that.  As for that "extra room for the ears" cap you linked to.  That looks like a gimmick.  $12 for a swim cap???!!

2008-02-05 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1195230

Regular
sesh - 2008-02-05 8:50 AM

I've never heard of something like that.  As for that "extra room for the ears" cap you linked to.  That looks like a gimmick.  $12 for a swim cap???!!

Agreed, I've never seen anything like this and I was a competitive swimmer for 11+ years. Most swim caps are lycra or silicone and will stretch to find over ear plugs anyway.

Edited by AquaSwim02 2008-02-05 2:27 PM
2008-02-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1195729

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon

Agreed, I've never seen anything like this and I was a competitive swimmer for 11+ years. Most swim caps are lycra or silicone and will stretch to find over ear plugs anyway.

Lycra swim cap? I have seen silicone and latex, never lycra. I will search for one.

2008-02-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1195874

Vancouver, BC
lfrick - 2008-02-05 1:46 PM
Lycra swim cap? I have seen silicone and latex, never lycra. I will search for one.

I could be wrong, but I think the lycra ones are more for people who are doing aquafit / exercising / water jogging. They are for people who want to keep their hair out of the water, and kind of protected, without the discomfort of a tight swim cap. I think the lycra swim caps don't stay on as well, don't keep the water out, and aren't meant for lap swimming.
2008-02-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1195874

Regular
lfrick - 2008-02-05 1:46 PM

Sorry meant latex....that's what I get for typing a response in between projects at work!
2008-02-05 4:57 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I have a swim cap called the baracuda hothead. I mainly use it for very cold OW swims but it does cover the hears, with then continuing down to your chin. They have similar caps like this but it's probably going to be pretty warm in the pool.

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=barracuda-hothead-...
2008-02-05 5:06 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Auto, your cap is what my swim coach calls a "head warmer" cap, which is designed, exactly as you stated to keep you warm in cold water, as much body heat escapes through the head (all that blood supply up there) they are made of neoprene and are basically a SCUBA type hood.

When I started swimming I had a lycra cap. They work fine, fit over your hair and ears, but aren't nearly as hydrodynamic as silicone or latex. They come in cool colors though. I have a purple one and a lime green one. I also started out in a pair of board shorts with Jimi Hendrix' face on them. When I got serious about triathlon I got a Dolphin jammer and a couple latex caps, and a better pair of goggles. Gear is half the fun.
2008-02-05 5:17 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
krludwig - 2008-02-04 6:01 PM

I need to get a swim cap, since the chlorine is really chewing up what little hair I have remaining.   I also use an ear plug, so I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone and just get a cap that covers my ears.

Do any of you use such a cap, and does it work well for you?  I have relatively big ears, I think, so I'm worried the cap might press on them too hard and put them to sleep, or my giganto ears wouldn't fit well in the cap space designed for them.

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/10239.htm

Any comments?

First of all, NO swim cap is going to keep the chlorine from your hair if that is what you are looking for.  They may keep pool water from constantly washing through it, but won't keep it dry.

There are a couple things to do to save your hair.  First, ALWAYS wet your hair with clean water before getting in the pool.   Then use a clarifying shampoo.  Ask at a salon what they recommend for swimmers and/or chlorine.  Use a good conditioner as well.  That would probably do more for your hair than a swim cap.

Second, it sounds like you want a cap that could possibly replace your ear plugs.  I really can't think of a swim cap that do that either.

If you really need something specialized, there could be a scuba diving item, or something for syncronized swimming, perhaps water polo that may be of use.  But probably not worth the $$$.  Just my 0.02.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim caps with ear covers? Rss Feed