General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anaerobic Threshold vs Lactate Threshold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-06 2:24 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: Anaerobic Threshold vs Lactate Threshold
I just found a place where I can get an anaerobic threshold test done, but not a lactate threshold test. I would like to have a lactate threshold test done so I can properly set my zones with my heart rate monitor.

However, I am not too familar with an anaerobic threshold test, but can the results of this test be used to set the zones for my heart rate monitor?

Any additional info on anaerobic threshold tests would be greatly appreciated!

2008-02-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1197650

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Anaerobic Threshold vs Lactate Threshold
vrljc - 2008-02-06 2:24 PM I just found a place where I can get an anaerobic threshold test done, but not a lactate threshold test. I would like to have a lactate threshold test done so I can properly set my zones with my heart rate monitor. However, I am not too familar with an anaerobic threshold test, but can the results of this test be used to set the zones for my heart rate monitor? Any additional info on anaerobic threshold tests would be greatly appreciated!
anaerobic threshold is an incorrect term commonly used to describe lactate threshold. if you are training for triathlons IMO you could do field testing to obtain a pretty close estimate of your lactate threshold under real world conditions using pace and HR for all 3 sports.
2008-02-06 11:16 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I agree with the above that the best thing to do is a field test in all 3 sports to determine your HR zones while doing the most specific activity to yoru sport...which is the sport itself.

THere are several different definitions for both anaerobic threshold and lactate threshold. Anaerobic threshold is something that exists in theory, but since the transition from MOSTLY aerobic to MOSTLY anaerobic is fuzzy, there is no single point at which the transition occurs, makign it difficult to pinpoint an anaerbic threshold...and indeed, does it really exist?

When a testing protocol like you mentioned states that it will determine your anaerobic threshold, but not lactate threshold, this probably means that they are measuring your expired respiratory gas volumes and compositions, and not doing blood testing. There is a ventilatory threshold point that is frequently referred to as your anaerobic threshold, but you would have to check with the lab doing the test to find out exactly how they are determining it.

Your ventilatory threshold (possible referred to as anaerobic threshold by the lab) is a good approximation of your lactate threshold since the increase in ventilation is a drect reflection of the amount of acidity being created by your physical activity.

Lactate is a blood test used as a surrogate marker of the transition from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism, and also has several different definitions depending on who is doing the test...increase above baseline, increase above 4.0 mMol, deflection point from linear to non-linear increase (most common).

The best way to avoid ambiguity is just to do the field test, which gives you the exact information you need to know...how fast can you go, what is your avg heart rate, and if you have a power meter, what is the power output that you can sustain for a prolonged period (20-60 minutes). If you were to measure your lactate during this period, you might find that this is your lactate steady state...the lactate level you reach during sustained high itensity exercise.

Hope that helps mroe than confuses. If you want to do the test, go ahead and do it, I love the data personally. But I don't use my lab data for training, rather the field test results.
2008-02-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1198460

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I agree with AdventureBear.  I recently took a VO2 max test (gift from the wife after she complained that I was to picky to buy for).  I just wanted to take it for "fun" and learn more about myself.  Based on the testing, which analized expired respiratory gases, they determined VO2 max, anaerobic and aerobic thresholds (AT and AeT) - AND developed training zones based on the results.  They compared closely to what I already determined as my LT doing field testing - and THAT is what I was after.  Ended up going with my field test after all that - I liked them better (there was only about 2 BPM difference).  The same lab will also provide LT testing, which means they continously take blood samples during the test to determine your actual LT.

The PT that administered the test said that the VO2 max was a very good way to "estimate" LT based on the fact that it is a little less invasive and easier to administer the test.  As long is it is done well.

After all of that, I think field testing, if done well, and rechecked every so often, is extremely valid.  The last thing I could do is take an actual LT lab test and compare with the field and VO2 testing to crosscheck again.  But I am content and have no desire to do that - maybe if was another gift!?!?!?!?!

2008-02-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1199010

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Aikidoman - 2008-02-07 10:41 AM

I agree with AdventureBear.  I recently took a VO2 max test (gift from the wife after she complained that I was to picky to buy for).  I just wanted to take it for "fun" and learn more about myself.  Based on the testing, which analized expired respiratory gases, they determined VO2 max, anaerobic and aerobic thresholds (AT and AeT) - AND developed training zones based on the results.  They compared closely to what I already determined as my LT doing field testing - and THAT is what I was after.  Ended up going with my field test after all that - I liked them better (there was only about 2 BPM difference).  The same lab will also provide LT testing, which means they continously take blood samples during the test to determine your actual LT.

The PT that administered the test said that the VO2 max was a very good way to "estimate" LT based on the fact that it is a little less invasive and easier to administer the test.  As long is it is done well.

After all of that, I think field testing, if done well, and rechecked every so often, is extremely valid.  The last thing I could do is take an actual LT lab test and compare with the field and VO2 testing to crosscheck again.  But I am content and have no desire to do that - maybe if was another gift!?!?!?!?!

That’s the irony of the use of those terms. AeT is a coined term commonly used to describe lactate threshold defined as 1 mmol/l above the athlete’s baseline.  At the same time AT is used to either describe the same thing or your MLSS or OBLA.

IOW, AeT doesn’t exit although many people keep using it (unfortunately)

AT testing or define for endurance sports is inaccurate: AT is the point in which your muscles burn glucose sources in the absence of oxygen, usually for all out efforts lasting less than 2:00-2:30 min.

2008-02-07 12:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Amine's right, no matter what terms a lab or physiologist gives you...

AeT, LT, AT...you need to know how THAT lab and THAT physiologist determined THAT number...how did they define it? YOu could use this script to approach him/her so as not to offend,

"I've heard from my awesome friends on Beginner Triathlete that there are a number of differing definitions even amongst exercise physiologists of lactate threshold and anaerobic threshold. I'm interested in having you help determine my numbers, but first I'd like to know how your lab determines those points."

The raw data from any VO2 test could be used to determine a differently defined LT...the test doesn't vary so much, although there are different protocols, so much as the method used after the test to identify the point differs.

In theory, AeT could be used to compare from test to test to see if your sub-threshold oxygen uptake is decreasing as well as your ventilation.

But it would be cheaper and easier to determine the same thing with field testing.

2008-02-07 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1199253

User image

Sensei
Sin City

AdventureBear - 2008-02-07 10:01 AM Amine's right, no matter what terms a lab or physiologist gives you... AeT, LT, AT...you need to know how THAT lab and THAT physiologist determined THAT number...how did they define it? YOu could use this script to approach him/her so as not to offend, "I've heard from my awesome friends on Beginner Triathlete that there are a number of differing definitions even amongst exercise physiologists of lactate threshold and anaerobic threshold. I'm interested in having you help determine my numbers, but first I'd like to know how your lab determines those points." The raw data from any VO2 test could be used to determine a differently defined LT...the test doesn't vary so much, although there are different protocols, so much as the method used after the test to identify the point differs. In theory, AeT could be used to compare from test to test to see if your sub-threshold oxygen uptake is decreasing as well as your ventilation. But it would be cheaper and easier to determine the same thing with field testing.

Agreed - It's all interesting stuff to me to study.  But in practice, it's field testing for me.  I also read somewhere, and I'll butcher the quote "there is no better way to determine LT for your run/bike/swim than to get outside and test while running/biking/swimming."  It's good indicator of how you will perform during those activities.  Sometimes the simplest and obvious is best....

Oh, yeah, edited to make note of my "awesome friends" SO true! :)

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-02-07 1:42 PM
2008-02-07 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1199253

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-07 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1199592

Coach
Stairway to Seven
JeepFleeb - 2008-02-07 1:26 PM

AdventureBear - 2008-02-07 12:01 PM
there are a number of differing definitions even amongst exercise physiologists of lactate threshold and anaerobic threshold.

My coach went to an tri coaching conference at the Olympic Center where one of the speakers got up and literally gave 86 different definitions of lactate threshold.

Nice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anaerobic Threshold vs Lactate Threshold Rss Feed