General Discussion Triathlon Talk » selling a bike and getting a new one, need ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-08 5:18 PM

Subject: selling a bike and getting a new one, need ideas
At the end of last season I bought a 2006 quintana roo kilo, 50cm. I've been so busy with work and just today finally went in for a fitting. I live in the bay area and am very close to the same bike shop that Chris Lieto goes too so I felt like I was getting my fit done by people who really know what they are doing. Unfortunately this bike is just not the right fit for me. They recommened a felt bike that was a little more relaxed an that they could do more adjustments with. So I don't know what I am going to buy, but what I do know is that this current bike isn't going to work for me. Any ideas on how to go about selling a bike? I've litereally ridden it around the block a couple of times so it's still really new. The only additions I did to it were a new saddle and some speedplay pedals.
Suggestings on how to sell this bike as well as recommendations on tri bikes with a bit more relaxed geometry would be great.
Thanks,
Christopher

2008-02-08 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1202152

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: selling a bike and getting a new one, need ideas

reminds of the time i bought some software, didn't install it until three years later and when i couldn't get it to work it was no longer supported. 

there are lots of options to selling.  there is a for sale forum here, on slowtwitch, theres Craigslist, theres EBay.  you shouldn't really have any problem in that dept.  as far as buying a new bike i would do the same as last time except take the time to get on it.  spend time on it and get a good feel for it.  are you saying they sold you one bike but are now actually recommending another?  seems more likely you bought a good deal and weren't too concerned with the fit the first time around.  don't make that mistake again, buy what fits you. 

2008-02-08 6:14 PM

I didn't buy this bike at the bike shop. I bought it online. The lesson learned is to get the right bike that fits, not the best deal.
2008-02-08 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1202210

Master
tag - 2008-02-08 5:59 PM

reminds of the time i bought some software, didn't install it until three years later and when i couldn't get it to work it was no longer supported.

there are lots of options to selling. there is a for sale forum here, on slowtwitch, theres Craigslist, theres EBay. you shouldn't really have any problem in that dept. as far as buying a new bike i would do the same as last time except take the time to get on it. spend time on it and get a good feel for it. are you saying they sold you one bike but are now actually recommending another? seems more likely you bought a good deal and weren't too concerned with the fit the first time around. don't make that mistake again, buy what fits you.

+1 on all points. Fit is key, the rest is secondary.  As far as Tri/TT bikes go, I'm a big fan of Specialized and Blue.  Tho, what fits me may not fit you.  What I'd do is go shop by shop, and try them all on.  I spent a few months doing this, narrowed down the list, and then fought on price.

Edited by Tri-FatBoy 2008-02-08 6:25 PM
2008-02-09 5:11 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
You may want to take the bike to another fitter and ask them if they can adjust the bike to fit you. I'm always wary when the bike you bought someplace else doesn't fit, but the bike they stock would be perfect. btw, if you need a 54 cm bike and you bought a 50 cm bike disregard this post.

2008-02-09 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
If you like the current saddle, and still have the old one, put the old saddle back on and sell it without pedals. Just be sure to either take the pictures without peddles and the saddle you plan on selling it with, or be very clear in your add that they are not included.

All of the internet options listed are good bets. I haven't had great luck selling on ebay, I usually end up selling bikes outside of ebay through one of the various message boards/classifieds I post the bike on. Plus ebay has the highest fees of the places I list. I did upgrade my paypal account to accept credit card payments and this has helped in the last two frames I sold, it does require that you pay a percentage of all payments to paypal.

2008-02-09 10:09 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Honestly.. you can get almost any bike to fit. There are times when the bike is just way too big, and there is no way... but this is usually not the case.

SO what is the reason the bike doesnt fit?

I stress the importance of fit. BUT, when it comes down to it, a proper fit isnt found in the fitter's room. A proper fit is found by trial and error. Making minor adjustments while out on the road or on your trainer.

Why not just get an adjustable stem, and then start moving it around. Move the seat up and down, back and forth... YOU can get that bike to fit you.

I think most people who "fit"you to a bike in a bike shop dont know that much more than the well-read enthusiast, and sometimes they know less. Usually a "good fit" involves pushing someone into buying whatever bike the store has in stock and wants to get rid of.

Im not being cynical, I just think this is true a lot of the time. There are great shops out there that this doesnt apply to, but there are a LOT of stores you have to be weary of.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » selling a bike and getting a new one, need ideas Rss Feed