General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild Inside knee pain and fluid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-29 5:04 PM

User image

Subject: Mild Inside knee pain and fluid
I've noticed that after running 30 minutes or so I get a mild pain on the inside of my knee. After I'm done, it seems to get some "weeping" or swelling that usually goes away in a day or two.

It's getting worse and the swelling is not going down as quickly as it used to. Don't think it is ITBS...any ideas? Note, I've increased my running over the past two months from 10 miles per week to about 25 and have been with new shoes for a few weeks.

Thanks,
pt

2004-12-01 9:11 AM
in reply to: #87428

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Mild Inside knee pain and fluid
I don't have a clue what you have, but it's time to see an ortho.  That's definitely not ITBS.
2004-12-10 1:49 PM
in reply to: #87428

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hi patunner,

It kinda sounds like what I had... a slightly torn cartilage. I got this after a skiing accident, never went for the surgery though. Instead, I strengthened my surrounding muscles [quads etc], which supports the knee enough. I still get the slight swelling afterwards if I do too much too soon, but I've learned to live with that.

I'm not saying that you have anything torn... but it is something to consider. Have you had any sort of accidnet in the past couple of months?

Good luck with it, try increasing quad strength, see what that does. Lots of luck!

-m
2004-12-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #91252

User image

Milly: You are right! I visited my ortho (who happens to be an active Triathlete) and he thinks it is a slight miniscus (sp) tear. I've got to have an MRI to decide if it is bad enough to have orthoscopic. As you may know, it may take me until after the holidays to get an MRI so the Dr. suggested I change my workout routine.

I reduced my run schedule this week (only 12 miles for the week), added some advil and am spending more time on the bike/swim. Overall, I'm happy it's not very serious (ACL or MCL) and don't mind the extra time in the pool!

Note - The orginial injury happened playing college lacrosse.

All the best,
pt

2004-12-10 4:26 PM
in reply to: #91271

User image

Veteran
Illinois
PT,

What can I say... I've learned lots from each injury. MRI's are tricky to schedule, if you have flexibility- they may be able to get you in.

IF it is a meniscal tear...here's something to consider if they do give you a choice between surgery/no surgery: with an arthroscopic surgery what they usually end up doing with small enough tears is just shaving the torn part. (They seldom try to repair the tear.) My fear was that with wear over the years... this may increase my all ready high risk of arthritis. [less cartilage=less cushioning, a lil' more wear on the joints, etc].

Okay, I may be overdramitic in speculating... but just consider all your options. And if you don't like the choices given to you, get a second opinion. The first ortho I went to automatically gave me surgery as my only choice... W/O really examining the MRI.

Again, PT... lots of luck to you and do keep me posted with the updates!

Milly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild Inside knee pain and fluid Rss Feed