General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Road Runners Winter Series #3-Sante Fe Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pikes Peak Road Runners Winter Series #3-Sante Fe Trail - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colorado Springs, Colorado
United States
Pkes Peak Road Runners
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 52s
Overall Rank = 119/156
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 7:15 and had some coffee, cereal and a bananna for breakfast. Drank two big glasses of water while getting ready.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and a little jumping around to stay warm....that wind was pretty gusty!
Run
  • 1h 39m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 2.5 miles weren't too bad. There was some snow but you could see the dirt trail. After the 5 mile runners turned around at mile 2.5, the trail was completly snow covered. Search and Rescue attempted to uncover it but it was still about ankle deep unless you were on a packed path where other runners had been. It was like this for the middle 5 miles and my pace dropped to about 10:30-11:00 min/mile. It was just difficult to get my footing. The last 2.5 miles were all mud by the time I got there but it was nice to not be in the snow!
What would you do differently?:

Push myself a little harder on the snow coverd section.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Snow-covered trail and a pretty gusty cross-wind the whole way.

Last updated: 2008-02-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:52 | 10 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 119/156
Performance: Good
Course: A true out-and-back course on the New Sante Fe trail. The race starts and finishes at the Baptist Road trailhead. The course goes north towards Palmer Lake, and gradually gains altitude going north. Starting elevation is about 6800 feet. The elevation at the 5M turn around is about 7000 feet, and about 7200 feet at the 10M turn around. So runners need to huff and puff a bit on the way out, but get to enjoy the fruits of their labors on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-09 3:43 PM

User image

Subject: Pikes Peak Road Runners Winter Series #3-Sante Fe Trail
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Road Runners Winter Series #3-Sante Fe Trail Rss Feed