General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving Run Cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-13 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: Improving Run Cadence

After some reading, including this BT article from Mike Ricci, I recognize the benefit from higher cadence running (efficiency, speed, less injury).   I've only begun awareness of my run cadence at this point.  Yesterday, on the treadmill, I made a concious effort to measure my run cadence; counting right foot strikes over 15 seconds.  I consistently counted 20-21 foot strikes or a cadence of 80-84.  Even when focusing on a higher cadence, I did not achieve higher than 84.

Increasing/controlling cadence on the bike is easy for me.  However, my foray yesterday makes me wonder if there is something or one can do to practice higher run cadence.  Are there drills, exercises, voodoo mind tricks one can employ to drive higher leg turnover?

Has anyone out there improved their cadence and has it translated into measurable benefit?

2008-02-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1209999

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Improving Run Cadence

I'll have to wait for Scout7 to chime in, but there are a lot of varied opinions on running cadence beliefs ...

What he usually points out that the best way to improve/lengthen your stride is to run uphill and the best way to improve your cadence is to run downhill .......

2008-02-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1210002

User image

Veteran
NYC
Daremo - 2008-02-13 2:50 PM

I'll have to wait for Scout7 to chime in, but there are a lot of varied opinions on running cadence beliefs ...

What he usually points out that the best way to improve/lengthen your stride is to run uphill and the best way to improve your cadence is to run downhill .......

x2, but start the uphill/downhill running slowly with short runs. It can be tough on the ankles and knees, but if you start slow your body will adjust without injury.
2008-02-13 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1210002

User image

Runner
Daremo - 2008-02-13 2:50 PM

Strides help, too. Run at under top speed for 30-60 seconds, with lots of recovery between strides. You should feel fluid and smooth, not like you're trying hard to drive the legs, or increase your stride. This is neuro-muscular training. Helps the legs get used to turning over faster. You can also do sets where the time is 60-90 seconds, but the effect is different. Combining both is effective.

No, there is no way to run these with a HRM. You're gonna have to go by feel (I know, scary thought for many out there...don't worry, you get used to it). If anything, use the HRM to make sure that you recover properly between each one. The purpose is not to strain yourself. It's to get the mind and the legs working together better.

Regarding the hills THIS SITE discusses how to use hill training.

Edited by Scout7 2008-02-13 2:30 PM
2008-02-13 2:31 PM

User image

I had shin splints and am convinced that switching to a higher cadence allowed me to run less injured, thus getting more volume and consistency and losing the shin splints.

It's hard at first, and you will pay a HR penalty while you are adjusting to it.  What helped me initially is finding msic or a metronome at 90 per, and running to that to get the "feel."  Eventually you won't need that stimulus.

as it stands, I still have to work on my cadence but find that something less than 90 and more than 80 is about right for me now.

2008-02-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1210144

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Scout I certainly defer to you but I'm using Strides in  a different manner as I'm in an IM Build phase. But aprrox. once a week I'm doing 4 x 250 Strides on 5 minute intervals (basically 3:30 run/1:30 recovery) trying to keep my HR in Z2.  Same premise (working to increase cadence) but w/ keeping HR under control for longer periods. Actually, as you point out I am primarily using the HRM to keep my HR in check during the recovery.

Scout7 - 2008-02-13 3:28 PM

Strides help, too. Run at under top speed for 30-60 seconds, with lots of recovery between strides. You should feel fluid and smooth, not like you're trying hard to drive the legs, or increase your stride. This is neuro-muscular training. Helps the legs get used to turning over faster. You can also do sets where the time is 60-90 seconds, but the effect is different. Combining both is effective.

No, there is no way to run these with a HRM. You're gonna have to go by feel (I know, scary thought for many out there...don't worry, you get used to it). If anything, use the HRM to make sure that you recover properly between each one. The purpose is not to strain yourself. It's to get the mind and the legs working together better.

Regarding the hills THIS SITE discusses how to use hill training.

Edited by rollinbones 2008-02-13 2:52 PM

2008-02-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1210230

User image

Runner
rollinbones - 2008-02-13 3:49 PM

Scout I certainly defer to you but I'm using Strides in a different manner as I'm in an IM Build phase. But aprrox. once a week I'm doing 4 x 250 Strides on 5 minute intervals (basically 3:30 run/1:30 recovery) trying to keep my HR in Z2. Same premise (working to increase cadence) but w/ keeping HR under control for longer periods. Actually, as you point out I am primarily using the HRM to keep my HR in check during the recovery.

How fast do you run the Stride at?

The longer you go, you're more likely to be working a different system.  Keeping them under a minute means they are short enough that you won't really be doing much anaerobic work, which would work a whole different system.  Short strides are designed so that you can do them as a way to get the legs turning faster without creating the same stresses that a more standard interval would.  Plus, you run them at a pretty high pace (something around mile or faster pace).

"Stride(r)" is just a name given to a workout, really.

2008-02-13 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1210273

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Good question Prolly close to a 7:15-m 7:30 mile pace which is fast for me.  Don't have the luxury of using a track right now so distance is approx. I focus on the 250 strides and keeping the HR in the zone (which is a challenge). 

I'm still a ways from true speed work.

Scout7 - 2008-02-13 4:00 PM

How fast do you run the Stride at?

The longer you go, you're more likely to be working a different system.  Keeping them under a minute means they are short enough that you won't really be doing much anaerobic work, which would work a whole different system.  Short strides are designed so that you can do them as a way to get the legs turning faster without creating the same stresses that a more standard interval would.  Plus, you run them at a pretty high pace (something around mile or faster pace).

"Stride(r)" is just a name given to a workout, really.

2008-02-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1210342

User image

Runner

Yeah, from what I've always seen, running strides isn't really a "speed" work out.  In fact, I know many people who incorporate the short burst style in the middle of a long run.  Breaks up the monotony.

A good description of what I was describing is in the book "Run Strong".  They also talk about NMT in "Running With The Buffaloes" (a very good book, easy to read). 

2008-02-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1210351

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Thanks for those references. I'm guilty of focusing some much energy on swim technique that I often overlook ways to improve my running... besides running lots.

Scout7 - 2008-02-13 4:20 PM

A good description of what I was describing is in the book "Run Strong".  They also talk about NMT in "Running With The Buffaloes" (a very good book, easy to read). 

2008-02-13 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I am a firm believer in having a cadence as close to 90 as you can get it.

I would not recommend using the treadmill to do a cadence workout. As you train your body to run with a higher cadence, the natural tendancy will be to run faster in order to hit the numbers. That's OK at first but the TM will not allow you to do that. Once you get comfortable with it, your cadence will remain the same regardless of the pace you are running.

2008-02-13 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Thanks for the replies.  I figured the treadmill is a bad place for that reason (fixed pace).  I will try it on my OUTDOORS tempo run tommorrow.  It's supposed to get into the 30's - heat wave!

Also, I just recently incorporated Fartlek/strides into my longer runs - for this specific reason.  Last weekend, I did 11X20sec (supposed to be 10X but lost count) with 60sec recoveries at about my mile pace/effort.  I didn't think to count footstrikes on those fast efforts, but will next time.

2008-02-14 6:22 AM

User image

Runner

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but I somehow knew it would...

There is no real reason you need to count your footsteps.  There is no "magic" number.  What works for one person will NOT work for everyone.  You can improve your stride rate and length, and it is something to consider.  But do not worry about trying to get it to a given level.  Everyone's ideal number is different.  If you work on improving your stride rate and length, you will see it by running faster, which is ultimately the metric that matters.  There is variation among elite runners, and the vast majority of people out there already run within 10% of that "magical" average of 180. 

2008-02-14 6:26 AM

User image

Runner

Back to Rollinbones...I have a question:

When you are running strides, are you focused more on the time, or on the distance?  You said you were trying to keep them around 250 (I assume meters, but I could be wrong), and the time was 3:30.  To make my math easy, 3:30 is around 700 meters at 8:00/mile pace.  250 is closer to a minute.  So the distance is more in line with what I was discussing (maybe a little long), but the time was throwing me off.

2008-02-14 6:58 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
There's another approach from ChiRunning which is to use an audible cadence monitor. If you're currently averaging 80, e.g., and your goal is to raise that to 85, then you set the monitor to 81 for a while until that feels comfortable, then to 82, and on up. The idea is to ramp the cadence at an "imperceptible" rate over time. In ChiRunning they use a small clip on monitor, but that not only drives me crazy, it drives people around you crazy. Instead, I recorded a series of 1 minute MP3 cadence ticks from 80 to 95. These can go onto your iPod and you can set one of them up onto a playlist and loop it for 5 minutes or so of each of your runs or intersperse it among your playlist every so many songs. If you use a Nike+, you can set up your cadence as your Power Song and every once in a while while you're in the middle of your run, hit the Power Song and check your cadence for a minute.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tinkerbell-57/Cadence.zip
2008-02-14 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Back 2-3 years ago I checked my run cadence and it was just under 80. Fall of 2006 I worked on new run technique as I was heal striker but didn't know it at the time. Changing to mid foot landing runner for me picked up my cadence.

Recently I checked my run cadence on a few different runs always 96. Interesting as my sweet spot for bike cadence is 97.  

2008-02-14 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
If you run to music, check out podrunner. You can download music at a known number of beats per minute. Coming from a military background it is natural to run to a beat in the music and I find that in the later part of the run the tempo forces me to focus on the turnover rate.
2008-02-14 7:36 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Would someone explain what running stides is?  I hear about it but am not entirely sure what you mean.
2008-02-14 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1211477

User image

Runner

zipp1 - 2008-02-14 8:36 AM Would someone explain what running stides is? I hear about it but am not entirely sure what you mean.

Run at under top speed for 30-60 seconds, with lots of recovery between strides. You should feel fluid and smooth, not like you're trying hard to drive the legs, or increase your stride. This is neuro-muscular training. Helps the legs get used to turning over faster. You can also do sets where the time is 60-90 seconds, but the effect is different. Combining both is effective.

This description is in line with workouts described in "Run Strong" and similar to what is used by the CU cross country team in the book "Running With The Buffaloes". 

This article describes other forms of stride workouts. 

2008-02-14 7:56 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
THanks, so if I'm understanding it properly strides is another way of doing interval work but the focus is on both speed and technique (higher knee, the kick yourself in the pants thing...)?
2008-02-14 8:02 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Hey, I'm at 84 right there with 'ya and it hasn't slowed me down    I posted this in my mentor thread a few weeks ago:

Daniels has a good section on running cadence in the first edition of his book.  He studied video footage of a lot of elite distance runners and found that many of them had a cadence right around 90 per minute (meaning your right foot strikes the ground 90 times each min).  He found that beginners tend to have much lower cadences - around 80 per minute. 

Daniels' feels that the main problem with low cadence is that "the slower you take steps, the longer the time you spend in the air, and the more time you are in the air, the higher you displace your body mass and the harder you hit the ground on landing.  When you consider that many running injuries are the result of landing shock, it is not surprising that experienced runners tend to turn over faster than do individuals who are new to the sport."   Note that he doesn't say here that slower cadences makes you a slower runner...he is focusing on the injury aspect with regard to inexperienced runners.

He goes on to say that several studies have been conducted on the energy demands of different stride cadences.  Those studies found that experienced runners are most efficient at their chosen rate of turnover, whether it be faster or slower cadence.  When it comes to inexperienced runners, running economy can often be improved by getting low cadence runners to increase their cadence.

I was a runner for 28 years and NEVER, EVER had a clue what my cadence was - didn't care either.  I started reading some triathlon articles 2 summers ago that said that if you strive to race your Ironman bike at 90 rpm, you should strive to achieve a run cadence around 90/min.  So, I measure my cadence on a few runs and always came up with about 84.  Did I decide to change it?  NOPE.  I'm happy where I'm at and I think I've done pretty well with a lower cadence. 

If you are a newcomer to running it is possible that there is room for improving your running efficiency.  Perhaps increasing your cadence can help out, maybe not.  You are an experiment with sample size of 1     

2008-02-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1211513

User image

Runner

The high knees/kicking your butt are other drills.

They could be likened to intervals.  However, the duration is very short, at most about 90 seconds.  Also, you could incorporate shorter sets into other runs. 

2008-02-14 8:10 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great thread. Last year I tried my best to hit 90, but it just wasn't meant to be. I tend to be a 85 range. Instead of cadence, what I try and focus moere on is good body position, landing directly below center line, landing on my forefoot, pushing myself forwards and not up, and a high kick and fast return. It works great for me in terms of comfort, pacing, and recovery. I'm also not a 90 cadence biker, more like 75-80.
2008-02-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1211407

User image

Elite
New City, New York

sorry, gone for a while. Damn training gets in the way

Actually, niether.  250 is the NUMBER OF STRIDES ( e.g. two steps = 1 stride). Rather than focus on timed intervals I actually count foot strikes (or more accuratley, right foot strikes). May sound funny but it actually passes time quickly. 

Scout7 - 2008-02-14 7:26 AM

Back to Rollinbones...I have a question:

When you are running strides, are you focused more on the time, or on the distance? You said you were trying to keep them around 250 (I assume meters, but I could be wrong), and the time was 3:30. To make my math easy, 3:30 is around 700 meters at 8:00/mile pace. 250 is closer to a minute. So the distance is more in line with what I was discussing (maybe a little long), but the time was throwing me off.

2008-02-14 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1211611

User image

Runner
rollinbones - 2008-02-14 9:41 AM

sorry, gone for a while. Damn training gets in the way

Actually, niether. 250 is the NUMBER OF STRIDES ( e.g. two steps = 1 stride). Rather than focus on timed intervals I actually count foot strikes (or more accuratley, right foot strikes). May sound funny but it actually passes time quickly.

No worries, I didn't think about it until late last night, anyway, and didn't get a chance to ask until this morning.

Yeah, that's a new one to me; I have never seen that discussed as a method of tracking it.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong or better or worse, I've just never seen that before.  Hey, if it works for you, then right on.  I know I would never be able to pull that off, though.  I can't focus like that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving Run Cadence Rss Feed  

of 2