General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post surgery training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-01 1:06 AM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
Subject: post surgery training
I had abdominal surgery three weeks ago, and my doctor told me no running or biking for at least six weeks. I'm walking every day for at least an hour. Does anyone have any experience with or suggestions for recovering from surgery and training?

2004-12-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #87950

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: post surgery training

My number 1 suggestion is to follow your doctor's orders!  In fact, I wouldn't start back to either biking or running until your doc has formally approved it after a checkup.  Perhaps you can keep swimming though?

Once you do have clearance, expect to start back at a lower level.  I would go into it at a level about half of where you were and see how it goes the first week.  You should be able to progress back up fairly quickly.  Just be patient and kind to your body.  Remember that it has to spend energy to healing and that strenous exercising could divert that energy.

I hope your surgery and recovery go well!

2004-12-01 10:40 AM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Definately follow doctor's orders.

in 2002 I had 2 abdominal surgeries in 5 weeks. Take is slow. Walking now for that long will help your recovery. Be patient and remember to listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. Be careful pushing, it's the off-season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~quick recovery vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may never finish 1st or make it to Kona, but I’m proud of the fact that I had the courage to begin my journey.
2004-12-05 11:30 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
thanks so much! When can I expect to be competitive again (and by competitive, I mean able to finish the race)?
2004-12-06 3:41 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
I had a hernia repair 6 weeks ago and fortunately, I had an understanding surgeon. He approved my getting back on my bike for easy rides 5 days after surgery. He also ok'd me to start running one week post-op. I couldn't start swimming for 2 weeks, but that was due to the risk of infection at the surgery site, not because he was worried about me hurting myself. Interestingly, the swimming is what has caused me some discomfort. I think it's because I stretch my abdominal muscles a little more while swimming than while running or biking.
That said, you definitely need to listen to what your surgeon says and follow doctor's orders. It depends a lot on what kind of surgery you had and how extensively they had to cut through, and then repair, the muscles in your abdominal wall. Good luck, be patient, even though that's tough to do, and you'll be back at it soon.
2005-01-23 9:55 AM

User image

New user
North Texas
Hils just wanted to check in and see how you are doing - Have you started running yet? Any problems if you are running? I had my gallbladder out on 1/7/5 and thought two weeks was enough of a break from running. On 1/21/5 I ran for a 1 1/2 miles and I have been in pain since.

2005-01-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: #107310

User image

New user

Brampton, ON
Oh dear,

I have to have my gallbladder out in April and was hoping to get back into training within one or two weeks so I would be ready for tri season. Guess I better re think that! Hope you are feeling better soon

Allison
2005-01-23 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I decided to start back slowly, with a trainer, so I didn't hurt myself (especially with weight training). My abs are still get very sore very easily, but I've tried to strenghten my back to help stablize more core a little more.

I've been ok with running, but I've only tried short distances (under 10 miles), but I listened to my doctor and only walked for the first six weeks.

I highly recommend working with a trainer who has experience working with people post-surgery (although I know it's not in most people's budgets)

Good luck, and I wouldn't do anything that hurts too badly!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post surgery training Rss Feed