General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The body is able....the mind says stop Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-01 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: The body is able....the mind says stop

I do not like to run.  For me, the best part about running is stopping!  I get satisfaction from being able to go further, but all too often I give up on myself when trying to complete a long run.  I have gotten some great advice on what I need to be running in order to properly prepare for my upcoming races, that hasn't solved my main problem.

How do I keep running when I want (not need) to stop? 

So far the only way I've had to combat this is when someone makes me accountable (real time) for running the full length.  May got me through my rough patch during my 10K.  One of the girls at the gym keeps me going by checking in on me with how many laps I have left to go.

I run schlep at a blistering 12 minute mile pace, so its a challenge to find a running partner that will run slow enough that I can keep up, but can run long enough that I get enough miles in.

Please help!  I have an Oly in March, and if I can get my arms around this running issue, I'm going to attempt a 1/2 Iron at the end of next season.

Thanks

Kristen

Edited by vertical_listing 2004-12-01 3:10 PM

2004-12-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: #88157

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: The body is able....the mind says stop
As a fellow member of the crappy runners club I can commiserate. A sub ten minute mile is blistering for me. 200 people passed me on the run in my last tri............talk about depressing. With me If I stop running I won't start again and I know this for sure. the whole walk - run thing doesn't work for me. When I am running and I want to stop I ask myself OK "Why do you want to stop?" Does something hurt? answer yes, then stop answer no keep running Are you out of breath? answer no keep running answer yes slow down. Do you have no energy? answer no keep running answer yes...welll usually I just tell myself to suck it up. Do you just feel like crap? This is the end of my list. Since I live and train in FL often in high heat am I am a NE girl oftentimes the answer to this is yes because of heat/dehydration and then I let myself stop. When you feel like you want to stop ask yourself why....hope this helps. I'll run slow with you anytime.
2004-12-01 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Maybe you could think about doing well in the race (particularly the running leg of the race in March) and maybe that will help you during your running.

I know that running is my least favorite of the 3 and I just think about my next race (end of may) and how early i'm getting started and how much faster i'll be in may because of it and stuff like that.
2004-12-01 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Maybe consider building slowly... Do shorter runs that will boost your confidence and then perhaps slowly run faster at these distances. One day a week maybe you could run longer... this way you can gear yourself up for that "big run" at the end of the week. I used to be a slow runner, it just takes time and miles.

When you did your 10K did you follow a program? I'm a big believer in programs, as they've helped me quite a bit.
2004-12-01 3:28 PM

User image

Elite

Consistency is the key to endurance.  Tell yourself that if you don't do it today then tomorrow will be harder.

You need to be building the muscle adaptations that allow you to store more energy in the muscle and to recover the energy spent on exercise more quickly.  This will allow you to run farther with less discomfort.  These changes accumulate gradually.  If you are consistent over three to four years of training you can get to your potential.as a runner.  There are no short cuts that will help.  It is just miles put behind you.  On the brighter side, once you get your body to its peak, running feels pretty good.

TW

2004-12-01 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Here are a few things that have worked to assist friends in getting motivated to run.  The best is to find someone to run with that really enjoys it (like me - I have always enjoyed just racking up the miles - it gives me solitude to work through the problems of the day), and their enjoyment will, hopefully, rub off.  One other thing I always recommend, and do myself when I have not having a good run, is imagine it is a race - force yourself to maintain a certain pace, or set a goal time to finish a certain distance (within reason).

Below are a couple links to some websites with info. on staying motivated to run and while running.

http://www.therunningadvisor.com/Motivation.html

http://www.thinkquest.org/library/site_sum.html?tname=3049&url=3049/version2.0/workouts/motivation.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/3049/version2.0/workouts/motivation.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/3049/version2.0/beginners/index.html

http://www.time-to-run.com/women/motivation.htm

http://www.time-to-run.com/women/maintain.htm

Hope this is helpful - Enjoy that next run! :-)

- Tim

2004-12-01 4:10 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
A running partner is key, I think, to get you through the rough spots. There are lots of runners who run at your pace-you just gotta find them. Have you joined your local road runners club? Or, you could look into where your area Team in Training does their long runs-they always have runners with a variety of paces. I know after I had my babies, I wouldn't stelp out the door if it wasn't for my then running partner.
2004-12-01 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
As another member of the "I hate to run" club, the only thing that keeps me going is mind distraction. When I can physically complete my runs but my mind is telling me to stop I have to trick my mind into taking another step forward. 1) Music: a walkman or an MP3 player can do wonders to make the time/distance go by 2) I try to remind myself that each step is closer to my goal. 3) I also break my runs down into segments, i.e. if I'm going to do a 20 min run, mentally I break it down into 4 five minute sections. That way there is a releif when I get through one segment. When all else fails remember the imortal words of the Bumble "Put one foot in front of the other and soon you will be walking out the door..."
2004-12-01 5:01 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
I would second (third?) the running partner idea. Especially if it's someone who enjoys running and is willing to set a pace you can keep, it keeps your mind off of "this is torture this is torture this is torture this is torture". The key is not thinking about running, because if you think about it you stress and freeze up and don't run well and it all sort of reinforces the idea that running is a painful torture.

If you can't find a running partner, try running to military cadence. There are a zillion CDs out there and if you zone out and sort of mentally chant along it really helps control your breathing. Yes, it sounds utterly stupid, but I swear by it, it's incredibly motivational and it keeps an excellent pace for those of us who don't run all that fast.
If you have been in the military it may do nothing more than remind you how much you hated to run and still hate to run. I've had ex-military guys tell me they never wanted to hear cadence ever, ever again. But for me having a bunch of Marines shout in my head gets me thru bad runs and helps my running form on good runs.

Good luck
2004-12-01 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
I still love military cadence. That's a GREAT idea for Kristen.

One caution Kristen...there is a chance you may not be motivated by military cadence.

I used to teach a military style boot camp workout class and the feedback from most of the "civilians" were that they weren't motivated from singing cadence about dropping out of planes at 30,000 feet or fighting with a k-bar in their teeth but they asked me (honestly this is the truth) if I could sing cadence about eating cake and cookies and stuff.....too funny!
2004-12-01 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Kristen,

Sweetheart I know your pain. As a former "I Hate Running," club member I know what it's like to dread putting on your running shoes knowing that you actually had to put one foot in front of the other for a sustained amount of time. What transferred me to the "I Don't Mind Running," club was two things"

A Running Training Program and Progress.

The running training program that I used (Couch to Oly, run focused from B.T.com) gave me a set schedule and set times to run. So I didn't worry about pace or distance, just running that's it. After sticking to this routine that forced me to run at certain times I didn't feel so bad. I didn't dread it. I knew that on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I had to run for 24, 32 and 38 minutes. Before I knew it I was up to running non-stop for an hour.

The progress I made by building volume helped me to like running a lot more because I didn't feel so defeated. I mean if I could run 24 minutes then why couldn't I run 28? If I could run 28 then certainly I could run five more minutes and make it to 32. I just nickled and dimed my way up to an hour.

After about three miles the endorphins kick in and boy, man oh man, running becomes the best high that I've ever had. It's amazing. It's like the first mile and a half I hate it, I'm plodding like a huge buffalo, but after three miles I'm cruising like a gazelle. I haven't made it past five miles only because that's when I run out of time not because I run out of desire.

So now I look at my 1/2IM to end the season in 05 with anticipation instead of dread. 13.1 miles, whew, seems insurmountable. But hey, two miles were insurmountable just six months ago!

Bottomline is you've got to want it. You've got to look at running as an obstacle you need to conquer so you can get what you really want - the glory of Going Long and finishing your Olys and 1/2IMs. You've got to beat it into submission and take authority over it. Only you can do it. Cadence, music, running partner etc., all good tools but you have to provide the motivation. JUST DO IT!

2004-12-01 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Thanks everyone for the great tips! 

I'm trying to find a 1/2 mary training group in fort worth...so far I've only found one in Dallas.  HUGE difference at 7am on a Sat.

Sue, I like your list.  I'll have to use it on my run this weekend

Greg, The program I used for my 10K was the May program.  May said wanna do a 10K, I said yes.....we did a 10K *grin* I'm really bad at following someone elses program.  I like to do it on my own.  I'm kinda mule-ish that way

Madeye/Steve, its funny you bring up cadence.  My friend Sheila ran the 10K with us.  Shes a hoss Navy LTJG (soon to me nuc).  When I wanted to quit running she threatened me with cadence.  I think she falls into the never wants to hear another cadence in her life category.

I just added radio/MP3 player to my Christmas List.  That would probably help me a lot!

Thanks again everyone!!

2004-12-01 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I'm actually in the "I Love to run Club"; its a small club. I get more of a buzz from running than from biking and swimming combined, eventhough I did enjoy my swim very much yesterday.

Just to go and run without a goal in mind is awful. I could not do it. When I run I always keep my goal in mind and what it will take to accomplish it. My goals are always race specific. Try thinking about your upcoming TRI and how good you will feel when you accomplish your running goal.

Once you get in really good running shape you will have days when you will feel like nothing will slow you down. You'll get a high out of that. Just be patient and stay focused.
2004-12-01 5:45 PM

User image

Master
MP3 player is the only thing that helps me other than fierce competition...

Edited by piggpen35 2004-12-01 5:45 PM
2004-12-01 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Wow, well put Info. I'm going to print that out & put it on my cubicle wall. I'm going to print 3 words the first week, 6 the second, 9 the third...

Motivation works differently for everyone, but I'm the same way - I look forward to my running now (granted I'm still brand new to it - less than 10 mins at a time) that I can see a goal to work for (and, importantly, attainable steps to get to that goal) as opposed to just going out and plodding aimlessly as I did in the past. I know that if I don't stick to the plan I won't be able to run 5k, and then I won't be able to start the couch-sprint program, and then I won't be able to do a tri, and then I won't get a shiny new bike & my dog will leave me and on & on. And if you would have told me that I'd look forward to running before I started the couch-5k plan you would be quite well-off now (in IOU's which are as good as money).

Drew
2004-12-01 6:17 PM

New user
Michigan
I have to admit that I don't have a motivation problem. I love all three disciplines. My only constrain is time. But a while back I didn't like swimming as I were not very efficient swimmer and had to put a lot of effort during my swimming sessions. However, based on the rule, that you've got to spend the most time working on your weakest discipline, I spent an extra time on improving my swimming, and now I love it! But if you cannot motivate yourself, I suggest joining a triathlon club in your area. Then you have a greater chance to find a running partner. And let me tell you, that it definitely helps. Sometimes, when I come home tired or late from work, I would skip the training session if I were going by myself. I would tell myself, that I am too tired to train and I will do it tomorrow. But since I am going with a lot of other people from our tri club, the schedule is set for the whole month, no choice, I've got to go... can't postpone it!
If you want to consider it, below there are two links to websites listing clubs in Dallas area (since there are no clubs in Texas listed on BT):

http://www.usatriathlon.org/Clubs_Regions/clubs_find.htm#Texas
http://www.trinewbies.com/triclub_category.asp?catID=47

Hope it will help.

2004-12-01 6:57 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Kristen, I suffered through it just as you are.  At about 3-4 miles, I would just get bored with my own thoughts and stop.  MP3 player did the trick.  I load up the runs music depending on my mood and head out.  Now I am consistently doing long runs of 12+ miles.  Even when I don't have the MP3 now, I don't mind the run anymore, I guess out of habbit or acclimation.

Some will tell you that you  should only race like you run, but I don't buy it.  Race-day motivation more than makes up for a lack of music and in the tri's I've done, I have not once wished for music - never even thought about it.

Are we still on for devil's backbone in a couple weeks?  I haven't been on a bike in 2 months training for the marathon - if you dust me, you can't tell anyone!!! 
2004-12-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: #88272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
tmwelshy - 2004-12-01 5:57 PM

Are we still on for devil's backbone in a couple weeks? I haven't been on a bike in 2 months training for the marathon - if you dust me, you can't tell anyone!!!

We are on like Tron my friend...on like Tron.

Now as to holding my tongue on the dusting....hmmmm, what would that be worth to you....
2004-12-01 11:50 PM
in reply to: #88294

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Ouch....  
2004-12-01 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

Sometimes it about where you run.  I find that off road is usually more satisfying than running through town and traffic.  Maybe you could find some trail runs that connect with road in your area.  It makes for a nicer run.

Evelyn

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The body is able....the mind says stop Rss Feed