General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Sprint Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-19 1:06 PM

New user

Subject: New to Sprint Tri's
Hello Fellow Hoosiers--I am currently training for my first triathlon sprint--the Danksin Women's Triathlon in July. I have been focusing on building up my endurance with running and general cardio machine training at the gym. I am going to do the swim focused workout listed on this site for the beginner. I did have a question though in planning my workouts--How do I know how much time I should make my"long" runs and "long" swims etc?

I sold my mountain bike last summer so I have to get a new one. Any recommendations? I can't really afford to spend much more than $300. Any other suggestions for a newbie?

2008-02-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1220804

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New to Sprint Tri's
nikkigrosso - 2008-02-19 2:06 PM

Hello Fellow Hoosiers--I am currently training for my first triathlon sprint--the Danksin Women's Triathlon in July. I have been focusing on building up my endurance with running and general cardio machine training at the gym. I am going to do the swim focused workout listed on this site for the beginner. I did have a question though in planning my workouts--How do I know how much time I should make my"long" runs and "long" swims etc?

I sold my mountain bike last summer so I have to get a new one. Any recommendations? I can't really afford to spend much more than $300. Any other suggestions for a newbie?

Hi Nikki,

Your plan actually says how long the long run should in minutes. If you are looking at the calendar and at the bottom it says "long run" that is just describing the type of workout in that column. That is, the calendars have four weeks of workouts. The bottom row just describes the general type of workout for Sundays, or mondays, etc. (that's what it looks like to me anyways).

I would look around for a used a deal on a bicycle. You've got some time to do some research and get to know what to look for. A lot of time if the weather stays like it is today (we may never ride outside again in Indiana).

Anyways, welcome. Feel free to post any question that you might have and good luck training!!

-Paul
2008-02-19 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Check Craigslist for bikes local so you can look at them and not pay high shipping costs. If you live near the Indianapolis area, check out the Tuxedo Brother's sponsored sprint tris at Eagle Creek Park on the northwest side. They are a lot of fun, great people, and well run. Also, the YMCA sprint tri in Lafayette is promoted as a beginner friendly sprint.

For $300, I would look at used bikes vs. a new one. Or maybe borrow one from a friend that is not riding much. My first year of bike riding was on a friend of mine who had a nice road bike but wasn't riding it at all. At the end of the season I gave it back to him cleaned, adjusted, with new tape and he asked me if I would borrow it again next year!

Anyway, welcome. You will find some really great people in the world of triathlon! I know I did.
2008-02-27 6:42 PM

Indianapolis

Nikki,

In April there is a great  sprint tri in Carmel Indiana.  It is an inside swim so I think is is a great tri to begin with.  You would have plenty of time to train. It is called the Splash, Flash and Dash and it is April 20.  Just wanted to let you know.  It was the first one I did and it really helped me ease into the wonderful world of tri's.  Good Luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Sprint Tri's Rss Feed