Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cosmetic Surgery gone bad, I mean reeeaaalll Bad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-21 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1224228

Veteran
Subject: RE: Cosmetic Surgery gone bad, I mean reeeaaalll Bad
I reiterate: She looks like a freakin' carp.

2008-02-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1225816

User image

Pro
MA

CitySky - 2008-02-21 11:02 AM Feline?  I don't get it.  Does your cat have lips?

I think my cats are way cuter. 

And don't even go near the tigers.  They would be freaked out to see them. 

2008-02-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1225730

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 10:33 AM
Yes I think people who do body modification have some issues. Tattoos are gray area for me, but the people who do them are not licensed medical doctors either. Don't you guys take an oath to help people?

How do we determine if someone has a mental health issue? Isn't it by their choices, actions and behavior? Can you actually find some way to describe the actions of that woman as healthy?

I've got 6ga holes in my lobes, 2 cartilage piercings, and a big d@mn tattoo over my ribs. My fiance has half of his right arm completely tattooed. Some of my best friends are pierced and tattooed freaks. They're also ridiculously nice people, mothers/fathers, professionals, academics, Christians, etc. I can assure you that we're in the best of mental health. Why do we do it? The short answer is sheer and utter vanity, because we like the way it looks, because we like to adorn our bodies. And I can also assure you that we're so mentally competent that we looked up the reports and portfolios on the artists we chose for our body mods, that we asked about autoclaves and made sure gloves were used. In short, we're not dummies, we did our homework. Are there some unethical tattooists/piercers out there? Sure. But there are also unethical people in every walk of life.

Edited by phoenixazul 2008-02-21 12:10 PM
2008-02-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1225730

User image

Buttercup

How do we determine if someone has a mental health issue?  Isn't it by their choices, actions and behavior?  Can you actually find some way to describe the actions of that woman as healthy?

I think the question for a practitioner is not whether her choices appear "healthy" according to that practitioner's judgment but, rather, whether she has the mental capacity to consent to the procedure.

Edited by Renee 2008-02-21 12:16 PM
2008-02-21 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1226185

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
phoenixazul - 2008-02-21 11:08 AM
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 10:33 AM Yes I think people who do body modification have some issues. Tattoos are gray area for me, but the people who do them are not licensed medical doctors either. Don't you guys take an oath to help people?

How do we determine if someone has a mental health issue? Isn't it by their choices, actions and behavior? Can you actually find some way to describe the actions of that woman as healthy?

I've got 6ga holes in my lobes, 2 cartilage piercings, and a big d@mn tattoo over my ribs. My fiance has half of his right arm completely tattooed. Some of my best friends are pierced and tattooed freaks. They're also ridiculously nice people, mothers/fathers, professionals, academics, Christians, etc. I can assure you that we're in the best of mental health. Why do we do it? The short answer is sheer and utter vanity, because we like the way it looks, because we like to adorn our bodies. And I can also assure you that we're so mentally competent that we looked up the reports and portfolios on the artists we chose for our body mods, that we asked about autoclaves and made sure gloves were used. In short, we're not dummies, we did our homework. Are there some unethical tattooists/piercers out there? Sure. But there are also unethical people in every walk of life.

I am glad you enjoyed your tatoos and piercings.   I personally said I think people who have body modifications done have some issues.   And I do.  That is me.   Tattoos are silly in my opinion as well.  again, my opinion.   What I was trying to address is the actions of this woman.  Can you call what SHE did even remotely healthy?  If you were a doctor, would you be willing to make someone look like that?  

2008-02-21 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

as my grampa used to say...

De gustibus non est desputandum. 

2008-02-21 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1226193

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Renee - 2008-02-21 11:13 AM

How do we determine if someone has a mental health issue?  Isn't it by their choices, actions and behavior?  Can you actually find some way to describe the actions of that woman as healthy?

I think the question for a practitioner is not whether her choices appear "healthy" according to that practitioner's judgment but, rather, whether she has the mental capacity to consent to the procedure.

I think that is pretty minimal definition.   If I wanted both my arms cut off at the shoulder, should a doctor help me with that?   I think sometimes the request itself leaves little question about the mental health of the individual.

2008-02-21 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1226220

User image

Buttercup
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 1:22 PM

I think that is pretty minimal definition.   If I wanted both my arms cut off at the shoulder, should a doctor help me with that?   I think sometimes the request itself leaves little question about the mental health of the individual.

Yes, it is minimal but (and I may be wrong on this) I believe that is what the law requires. And, if memory serves, there was actually a case where a man wanted his limbs hacked off. Don't remember how that played out... Anyway, there is a difference between "mental health" and having issues. Obviously, the woman had issues but I haven't read anything that suggested she lacked a sound mind.

Women get boob jobs all the time. You could argue that some of these women suffer from poor body image. Do you deny them the procedure because you think they don't have a healthy outlook? Do they have mental health issues?

Edited by Renee 2008-02-21 12:29 PM
2008-02-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1226238

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Renee - 2008-02-21 11:29 AM
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 1:22 PM

Yes, it is minimal but (and I may be wrong on this) I believe that is what the law requires. And, if memory serves, there was actually a case where a man wanted his limbs hacked off. Don't remember how that played out... Anyway, there is a difference between "mental health" and having issues. Obviously, the woman had issues but I haven't read anything that suggested she lacked a sound mind.

Women get boob jobs all the time. You could argue that some of these women suffer from poor body image. Do you deny them the procedure because you think they don't have a healthy outlook? Do they have mental health issues?

I don't think this argument is going to go anywhere.  But yes, in my view, pretty much any non-reconstructive plastic surgery is morally suspect.   Extreme examples even more so.  

Edited by tkbslc 2008-02-21 3:57 PM
2008-02-21 4:10 PM

User image

Well, we already lack a significant amount of control over our own bodies and health currently.  A doctor is more than welcome to decline to perform any procedure he or she doesn't want to (whether he or she keeps their job is another issue).  Catholic hospitals don't perform abortions.

If someone is capable of making their own decisions, they can choose to look as stupid as they want to as long as they can find a doc to do it.  I see no problem with that (Body adornment up to tattoos and piercings are a completely different subject since no med. professioanl is involved).

As a hijack, just as I would like to think that, stricken with a fatal and painful disease, I should be given the power to make my own choices about the end of my life (god forbid).   Unfortunately, I don't

2008-02-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1226760

User image

Buttercup
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 4:57 PM

I don't think this argument is going to go anywhere.  But yes, in my view, pretty much any non-reconstructive plastic surgery is morally suspect.   Extreme examples even more so.  

Ooh, I think our exchange just went somewhere.

We were talking about the difference between being of sound mind vs mental health/disorder vs having healthy self-esteem ... and you segued into moral issues.

Do we want practitioners to overrule their patients' requests because it violates the practitioners sense of morality? Well, that question has already been settled. It happens all the time - pharmacists refuse birth control dispensation, for example. 

But the question we've been considering is whether a practitioner should be held liable for the procedures they perform on patients who are of sound mind. 

It sounds like you are saying the practitioner should either a) be held liable or b) deny a procedure if the procedure violates a moral litmus test. In the case of liability, who should we allow to define this moral litmus test? Whose morals?

I think our exchange points to exactly why this would be problematic. Where you see morally suspect procedures, I see civil liberties at work. Whose morals should prevail?

Unless a person has been deemed mentally unfit to make decisions for themselves, I think the government should not impose its someone's moral views on the matter.

Edited by Renee 2008-02-21 4:21 PM

2008-02-21 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1226760

User image

Champion
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 3:57 PM 

You're all over the place.  What do morals have to do with your original statement?

Not really sure you have any idea what mental illness is either.

2008-02-21 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1226929

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
DerekL - 2008-02-21 4:22 PM
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 3:57 PM 

You're all over the place.  What do morals have to do with your original statement?

Not really sure you have any idea what mental illness is either.

My original statement had to do with the ethical nature of performing disfiguring surgeries.   Ethical and moral are pretty much synonyms.   So it seems to tie in nicely.   As I said, this argument really isn't going anywhere.   I still think much of the plastic surgery field has questionable ethics, and you have no problem with it.  Settled. 

Feel free to define mental illness for me.  

2008-02-21 5:36 PM

Los Angeles, CA
If someone wants to pay a doc to change their face, that's their business.

Everyone is different. Some people believe that when they die they get their own world to be god over. Some people are coprophages. There is room in the world for both. It takes all kinds to make a world, why waste energy being judgmental? What could anything that woman does to her face possibly have anything to do with your perceived moral compass? How about live and let live?
2008-02-21 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1226815

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Renee - 2008-02-21 3:15 PM
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 4:57 PM

Ooh, I think our exchange just went somewhere.

We were talking about the difference between being of sound mind vs mental health/disorder vs having healthy self-esteem ... and you segued into moral issues.

Do we want practitioners to overrule their patients' requests because it violates the practitioners sense of morality? Well, that question has already been settled. It happens all the time - pharmacists refuse birth control dispensation, for example. 

But the question we've been considering is whether a practitioner should be held liable for the procedures they perform on patients who are of sound mind. 

It sounds like you are saying the practitioner should either a) be held liable or b) deny a procedure if the procedure violates a moral litmus test. In the case of liability, who should we allow to define this moral litmus test? Whose morals?

I think our exchange points to exactly why this would be problematic. Where you see morally suspect procedures, I see civil liberties at work. Whose morals should prevail?

Unless a person has been deemed mentally unfit to make decisions for themselves, I think the government should not impose its someone's moral views on the matter.

I agree with you.  I take back my statement about wanting to revoke the licenses of the doctors who performed the surgery.  I still question the ethics of the doctors.  Not sure you can say they are practicing "medicine" at that point.  

2008-02-21 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1226946

User image

Champion
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 5:34 PM 

My original statement had to do with the ethical nature of performing disfiguring surgeries.   Ethical and moral are pretty much synonyms.   So it seems to tie in nicely.   As I said, this argument really isn't going anywhere.   I still think much of the plastic surgery field has questionable ethics, and you have no problem with it.  Settled. 

Ethics and morals are NOT the same thing.  You're confusing multiple issues.  Your statements are based on false premises.

You are right that this is going nowhere though.

2008-02-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1226980

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
DerekL - 2008-02-21 4:48 PM

Ethics and morals are NOT the same thing.  You're confusing multiple issues.  Your statements are based on false premises.

Just cause you are calling me dumb,  pull out a dictionary and look up the definition of ethics or ethical.  

from dictionary.com: 

"eth·i·cal
–adjective
1.pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
"

Edited by tkbslc 2008-02-21 5:56 PM
2008-02-21 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1226995

User image

Champion
tkbslc - 2008-02-21 5:55 PM
DerekL - 2008-02-21 4:48 PM

Just cause you are calling me dumb,  pull out a dictionary and look up the definition of ethics or ethical.  

eth·i·cal

–adjective
1.pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.

I'm not calling you dumb.  I'm saying that you're incorrect in your statement.

If you believe medical ethics have anything to do with personal morality, I can't really help you.  There are plenty of books and other resources on ethics that are available that have not a word in them about personal morality.  You should take a look.

2008-02-21 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

I just love that the article says she was out on a date!  Oh, but the power of Money!!

2008-02-23 5:27 AM
in reply to: #1224234

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
she is called Cat Woman
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cosmetic Surgery gone bad, I mean reeeaaalll Bad Rss Feed  

of 2