General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Fins, Pull-Buoys, Paddles... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-25 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: Using Fins, Pull-Buoys, Paddles...
Hi Everyone!

So i was wondering how everyone feels about using fins, pull-buoys, and paddles when training in the water...

Currently, i use them at my tri swim practice once a week. I understand that i cant use any of this during a race, but im wondering what the true benefits are when using these implaments in training, for overal performance when it comes time to race!

Thanks!

2008-02-25 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1233723

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Using Fins, Pull-Buoys, Paddles...

There are a lot of (strong) opinions on swim toys out there and BT is no exception.  I never used to use them until I had my one on one lessons with a coach.  Now I will use them for very specific drill work to emphasize one part of my stroke, and that's the only time.  I personally do not use them for anything but that slow specific drill work.

There are plenty of others that do differently of course.

2008-02-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1233730

User image

Madison, CT
In my masters group we have athletes that use training aids all the time and some the never do. Based on the speed and endurance of the members of my group, I don't think it matters either way and is a personal preference thing.

I think the key is not to become dependant upon them or use the aids as a crutch in your training. They should be used to work on technique and/or conditioning.
2008-02-25 12:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1233966

Sensei
Sin City

I like my toys and I use them in evey workout, but sparingly.

I use them for drills mostly.

The pull bouy helps me feel my rotation, body position and upper body techniqe.  I use fins on my kick sets because my kick is SO bad due to flexability issues, that I would be out there ALL DAY if I don't use fins.  Paddles help with technique and strength.  I use them for one arm drills, catch-up drills, etc.  Sometimes I use them for a nice, long controled warm ups and cool downs.

I NEVER use them for intervals, time trials, or long swims.  I want to simulate race conditions, and I like to keep track of my interval splits to check on progress.  Using aids would invalidate the times.

2008-02-25 12:47 PM

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I like using fins and pull buoys. I do not like paddles. If your form isn't the best and you start swimming with paddles you can develop shoulder problems real quick.

2008-02-25 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1234083

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO

Rowdy - 2008-02-25 11:47 AM I like using fins and pull buoys. I do not like paddles. If your form isn't the best and you start swimming with paddles you can develop shoulder problems real quick.

This is 100% accurate.... the part about the paddles being hard on shoulders that is. You really have to focus on form when you use them because it can set you back a lot if you them incorrectly or too much.

As for pull buoys and fins.... I really don't like drills so I use them as little as I can get away with. Enjoy!

2008-02-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1234547

Madison, CT
I agree that you have to be very careful with using paddles to avoid injury, but they can really help with technique. I started swimming with them just in the past few months, and my stroke has improved as a result. My stroke is more consitent and even now. Which means I'm faster.

Paddles with show you your flaws pretty quickly.

2008-02-25 4:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
The purpose of each of those items is to help concentrate on a particular part of your swim.
The fins can be useful for strengthening the kick when used in high-intensity sets, as well as increasing ankle flexibility.
Pull bouys are good tools for working on your pull, which can be beneficial to a triathlete if you take the "save your legs for the bike" approach.
Paddles are great for resistance training your pull when combined or not combined with the pull bouy. If you use just the finger strap and no wrist strap it can force you to keep your elbow up when stroking, which is essential to EVF (early vertical forearm).

All of those can be beneficial to traning but each of course can have its drawbacks if used improperly, as mentioned above.
2008-02-25 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1234708

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Fins - sharp 4850 stated it well.  I used blue Zoomers last fall when I couldn't run due to PF for added leg WO.  Not only did a get a leg WO, I improved my free swim balance by using a bit more kick without getting me winded.

PB - enough has been stated.

Paddles - I've been using the Finis freestyler paddles with very good results for improving my stroke.  They are different from other paddles and if you do not do your stroke right you'll know it as they will flop around on you.  But when you do the stroke right they don't move.  As for tired shoulders, I don't experience that, I get tired lats from working the pull!  Last fall I did doing some fins and paddle work, amazing what feeling the water resistance can do for your streamlining.

2008-02-25 8:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Swim fins can be good for drills, especially the short, little stubby ones. Pull buoys are the crack cocaine of the triathlon world. Easy to get hooked. Hard to get off once you like the feel.

2008-02-25 9:13 PM

Mystic, CT
We use fins and hand paddles at my high school practices all the time. (these practices are intense too-- 6000 yards a day) They help a lot! Only use fins durring drills, and on success sets though. Dont become dependent on them! They definately build muscle, and are very useful, just not if you're going to use them ALL the time. (success sets are when you try to go alllll out as fast as you can with fins, like we try to swim 100's on 54.) And hand paddles will build muscle and point out anything wrong with your stroke. ie- if your producing drag with your hand when your arm enters the water, the hand paddle will be very sensitive to it and you will notice it immeadiately.

As for the pull buoys, sometimes we use them in warm up, or durring drills, but other than that I dont find them very usefull.

Let me know how it goes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Fins, Pull-Buoys, Paddles... Rss Feed