General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-02-26 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1236008

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches?
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-26 12:06 PM

I personally am not against coaches but have found more than a few of the folks who are coaches here on BT to be, well, less than friendly. (There are one or two exceptions

I agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this. There seems to be a BT orthodoxy/group think going on with respect to training methods from which you may not deviate without being taken to task.

2008-02-26 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1235602

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I don't have a personal coach, though I am relying on more than just my own research and opinions by taking various group lessons and training clinics. So far, I've decided against hiring a coach but I have been curious and looked into it a bit. Certainly no animosity here.
2008-02-26 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1235959

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
the bear - 2008-02-26 10:48 AM

kellc09 - 2008-02-26 10:37 AM  Your right, that maybe the items "last longer" than a coach does, I guess it all depends on what your in the sport for, to have a little fun, or to put some work in and get better.

Some of us have fun and "put some work in and get better," they're not mutually exclusive. And you don't have to have coaching or the best equipment to do both.

your right, but I think you know the type of people I was referring to, especially since I dont know you. At least, we have some like that in my area, who are vocal about not spending money on coaches. They have found out I am using one, and the "questions" / pumping for info on my plan come up. I ask them how their training is going, and I get the excuses. that is all. I did "both" also for a couple of years, chose a different route this year. We'll see how it works out

Edited by kellc09 2008-02-26 11:21 AM
2008-02-26 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I had a coach last year... and I have a coach this year.

Now, would I have a coach for sprint tri's? No. And that was the question that was asked.

I know when I moved up to Oly/HIM/IM distances... I wanted a coach.

I like not thinking about my training. I do as I'm told. Easy. I love it. I just ask my coach what races I can do, and he tells me. Works great for me.

I'm not rich... but spending $125 a month on a coach is worth it to me... to know that I will be crossing the finish line at my IM if I do as I'm told and don't get injured.

2008-02-26 11:36 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

RM, I didn't see much animosity on that thread, many don't believe in coaching and they take any opportunity to make that very clear in as many posts as they can but you know what, that's fine.

In the coaching biz I participate we have fees ranging from $150.00 to $250.00 which vary from a simple but personalized 12 week plan and the athlete doesn’t get any feedback until the next cycle onto full on weekly personalized coaching in which the athlete and coach interact on a daily basis via different venues and get all the bells and whistles. Guess which one is our most of popular plan; yup the most expensive one; we are at capacity and to the point we’ve had to unfortunately turn some away.

As Mike (marma) posted on the original thread, people will consider coaching services based on how valuable they consider the service. For some paying for our fees is an investment in their health and time constraints while for others it is a waste of money or an unaffordable service.

I am not necessarily concerned with the perception some might have about coaching; unfortunately as it stands today anyone can claim to be a coach (or get USAT certified) and just used the TTB or some other book and then regurgitate bad training advice or worst, to use online plans and recycle those over and over with athletes. But as with any profession there is always the risk to encounter good and not so good professionals, in the end the burden is on the customer to do the homework and find out if the person you will hire is worth of their money. OTOH those coaches providing sub par service just enhances the value of mine, yours and that of coaches concerned with continuing learning/education to further improve their understanding and provide even better services.  Unlike avg coaches, you and I invest time and money to further advance our understanding in endurance sports and coaching. I’ve invested an important amount of $$ in seminars, certifications, books, journals, and academic online classes (The last one a sports physiology one) but for me is an investment not and expense, plus I enjoy it very much.

What is its satisfying is that MANY athletes (here on BT and other places) have coaches and place a big value on our services; for me as long as my guys (from beginners to the fast dudes/dudettes) are happy and achieving their specific goals by doing the work I am satisfied and it is all that matters.

Finally, I know more than a few around take offense of my posts, but if some of the advice provided for beginners is flat out wrong I have no problem pointing that out. If that causes animosity so be it. Many knowledgeable folks with years of experience, academic background, PhDs, etc (IOW way way smarter than me) have invested a great part of their lives to study endurance sports and provided the leading information on this subject and that’s what I like to follow and based my coaching approach on. Apparently some around prefer to trust on what their IM finisher friend or tri magazine has to say on the subject even when the info can be flawed at best. But they have a point because we all respond different to training and there are many ways to approach this and thats cool; the problem is when they make the leap and believe that their n=1 anecdotal evidence applies to the rest and sate it like that. In those cases is when our opposites points of view will collide. But it should be ok to have your ideas challenge in particular when posting in a public forum but it is obviuos some can’t handle it…

2008-02-26 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Dodge Center, MN
We need food, water and (basic) shelter. The rest are ALL luxuries.

I'm a DIY guy, I fix my own truck, I mow my own lawn, I repair my own house, I train myself for tri's. I would like a tri coach, but don't have the disposable income. If I did, I would hire one on a specidic, as needed basis. I could really see the value in that.

2008-02-26 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Wow, this has taken off more than I thought it would. Great responses all. From what I gather we have several different views:

• Those who have coaches and are happy.
  • Those who would only have a coach under special circumstances (i.e. doing an IM, or trying to podium or qualify)
  • Those who would have a coach if they could afford it.
  • Those who prefer to do it themselves (nothing wrong with that)
  • Those who think coaches or coaching is a waste of money.

There was one post and I am paraphrasing here but the gist of it was "anyone can call themselves a coach", which is true. Just like anyone can call themselves a Dentist or Financial Planner, or any other profession. It is up to you as the consumer to verify your potential coaches creditentials prior to engaging in a coach/athlete relationship.

To those of you who have had a negative experience with coaches on here, I apologize if I was one that offended you. Again I think that is more of a written vs spoken word thing. There are many different ways to "skin a cat" as far as training goes and who of us is to say that one technique is necessarily better than the other.

Thanks again to all of you.

2008-02-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1235984

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:56 AM

That is pure elitism.

I think you're also reading too much into some people's posts.

2008-02-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1236030

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

doublej - 2008-02-26 9:12 AM I agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this. There seems to be a BT orthodoxy/group think going on with respect to training methods from which you may not deviate without being taken to task.

My issue has less to do with what they may or may not know because in the end, their message gets polluted by snarky responses and out and out insults in more than a few cases. (And they all know who they are)

I reject the argument that this is a "Public Forum" and this behavior is therefore somehow acceptable.  I pay a fee to be here, which, in my opinion,  makes that argument less than applicable. It is that sort of arrogance that has driven me away.

If they cannot communicate with me in a civil manner, then I have no use for them. I certainly don't need to pay someone to abuse me. Motivation to train is certainly not something that I have a problem with.

2008-02-26 11:54 AM

User image

I didn't read any animosity, but how does that saying go, if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail?  So perhaps as a coach you took the opinions of people that would not hire a coach as a personal affront. 

In ay event, I am going into my 4th year of tris, and will be doing my first IM April IMAZ.  I thought about hiring a coach for the IM, but decided not to.  Primarily, I have a large training group available to me with people of all abilities.  From back of the packers to L.A. Oly AG winners, Kona qualifiers (multiples), several IMs.  I get a lot of valuable information and feedback from these people.  They see me train every day.  And frankly, they saw me when a long ride for me was 20 miles, and 10:30 / mile was fast.   They've seen my entire progression, and have day to day info abuot my performance.  I find this invaluable.  I also think people like having coaches because it encourages them to get their workouts in on a set schedule.  

I also get a ton of good info (although often conficting) here.  But as with anything, I pick the advice from people I respect and give it a shot.  I've used the training plans here for HIM.  I've used the gold membership coaching to ask questions in that forum. 

Primarily, though, is I think it would take the fun out of it, for me.  I like to just go out and go on a group ride. I don't frankly want to have to think about "OK, i'm warming up for 15 minutes, then I am doing 5 x :45 at FTP, then 6 x 1:00 high cadence blah blah blah."  Would it make me faster?  Probably.  I am not fast by any means, but I have had some success at shorter distances in the Clyde category.  But I don't think all of the coaching in the world could even get me near a podium in my 40-44 AG.

Would it be more fun?  nope.

And if I am not having fun, what's the point?

Edited by ChrisM 2008-02-26 11:57 AM
2008-02-26 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Rocket Man - 2008-02-26 9:34 AM

See the "Should I get a coach " thread for background.

I am really interested in your responses so please be honest and say what you feel.

No animosity here. I have a coach (who's reasonably priced) and in my opinion her guidance and expertise has made a huge difference in both my level of success and my prospects for continued improvement.

2008-02-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1236164

User image

Giver
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-26 12:52 PM

[

My issue has less to do with what they may or may not know because in the end, their message gets polluted by snarky responses and out and out insults in more than a few cases. (And they all know who they are)

I reject the argument that this is a "Public Forum" and this behavior is therefore somehow acceptable.  I pay a fee to be here, which, in my opinion,  makes that argument less than applicable. It is that sort of arrogance that has driven me away.

If they cannot communicate with me in a civil manner, then I have no use for them. I certainly don't need to pay someone to abuse me. Motivation to train is certainly not something that I have a problem with.

Your last paragraph sums it up. They're free to make snarky comments; you're free not to hire them. Insults are another thing, though. If that happens (and I think it's rare), report it to the mods and they'll deal with it.

2008-02-26 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1235984

User image

Champion

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:56 AM That is pure elitism.

No, that's an opinion.

Not everything posted is a personal attack.  Lighten up.

2008-02-26 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I didn't bother to read everything here, and I am not anti coach.  But...  I think that anyone can if they want to spend the time learn as much from books and experience and free resources as the coaches can teach them.  Truth be told the coaches were taught or learned this stuff too.  And it's not rocket science.  So yes there is no reason that someone has to hire a coach. 

Will it help?  Yes definitely, assuming you get a good coach that knows how to train people effectively.  Not everything will work for everyone.  So a coach must be able to adapt the way they train their athletes to each athlete individually.

Is it worth the Cost?  Maybe.  If you need it, want it and can afford it.  I don't therefore it's not worth it to me.  For most people this is a hobby.  I pay enough to race and am happy with my results.  I don't think adding a coach would enhance my experience enough to warrant x$/month. (I'd rather spend it on something else.

So basically there is no animosity towards coaches or coaching, but there is a question whether or not the ave. joe triathlete needs one.

2008-02-26 12:39 PM

User image

Champion

I guess my previous post didn't really touch on the thread.

I agree with the cost/benefit folks.  If you're serious enough about what you're doing and have the resources, do whatever you want including getting a coach.  I do think if you're that serious about racing that you should take some time and educate yourself on the basics though.  The whole "teach a man to fish" thing...

I'm not really sure what's confusing about the basics though.  There are plenty of training plans here that are pretty straightforward.  There are nutrition articles (though for sprint folks it's not a huge topic of discussion).  Pick a resource and go with it.  Experiment.  Figure out what works for you.  That isn't a mutually exclusive concept with getting coaching as well.

It's a hobby for most of us.  Do whatever makes you happy.

2008-02-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1236194

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
run4yrlif - 2008-02-26 10:00 AM

Your last paragraph sums it up. They're free to make snarky comments; you're free not to hire them. Insults are another thing, though. If that happens (and I think it's rare), report it to the mods and they'll deal with it.

Hey thanks

Unfortunately, the insult part is not as rare as I would have hoped. After a few threads got pulled/frozen by the moderators, I gave up and decided to minimize my time here on the Tri Forum. (Usually just posts encouraging my friends and posting in the daily)

I no longer get involved in any of the real discussions. I am only Delurking here because the OP asked specifically for opinions on this subject and my hope was that by sharing my experience, it might soften some of the more snarky behavior. (I know I am not the only one to be on the receiving end)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-26 12:41 PM

2008-02-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1235668

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
wurkit_gurl - 2008-02-26 7:00 AM

Well, I don't really have any "unnecessary" expenses (I don't own a home, I don't have a car that costs more than I can afford, etc), but I also don't make a ton of money and I need to be saving. Right now, for my particular goals, I don't feel as though spending a couple hundred dollars a month on a coach is a wise financial decision. It has nothing to do with how I feel about coaching and coaches. I simply can't afford it.

And it seems as though the answer to every question around here is "hire a coach". I really, really don't think that those people realize that some of us just cannot do that!

X2--I've got no reason to have any animosity toward coaches, but I definitely do see the occasional subtext noted above that might amount to subtle (or less than subtle) "peer pressure" toward getting a coach.

Our cars are paid off, we live in a modest apt that costs less than the mortgage pyts on even a modest home would be in our area, we don't travel extravagantly, no kids, and the reality is that we still do little better than paycheck to paycheck a lot of months. That means that we often have to face the decision as to whether or not to take on debt for competition and training expenses. Hiring a coach would absolutely push us over the line and into either debt or less competition...which sort of would make hiring the coach even more of an extravagance.

We were able to get my wife into a periodization training program through her physical therapist by getting it handled through her insurance, since she started with them for an exercise-related injury. Otherwise, I doubt we'd have enrolled her.

Beyond the finances, though, there is the issue for me of wanting to see how far I can take _myself_. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few other folks out there on the same sort of "project."
2008-02-26 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I wonder how people define coaching,,  Since I'm here on BT with a huge choice oftraining plans and access to the coaches if I have any questions.. so in a way yes I have a coach.. 

I've taken a couple of swimming lessons froma local coach that since that's not something that I didnt' think I would get the improvement I was looking for through a book, video or online coach.  I'm going to be attending a run clinic for the same reason's.. Check on my form, feedback etc..

In both cases I'll have that knowledge forever, it's not like once I'm done with the lessons I'm going to stop swimming/running with better form so I'm not sure how that compares with the thought process of "if you spend X amount on ____ and divide it times a year or 5 years "  Knowledge is pretty much forever.

To me it's the same thing as when I bought a piano a few years back and was teaching myself to play I reached a point where I needed some lessons to igure out some stuff.  then went back to learning on my own pace

I don't notice alot of animosity towards Coaching, but more animosity towards certain people that make  broad general statements or assumptions of abitlity for everyone here.

2008-02-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1236122

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
amiine - 2008-02-26 12:36 PM

...I didn't see much animosity on that thread, many don't believe in coaching and they take any opportunity to make that very clear in as many posts as they can but you know what, that's fine.

amiine, quite frankly, that can be changed to many believe in coaching and they take any opportunity to make that very clear in as many posts as they can.

I think it may depend on ones of view.
2008-02-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1235999

User image

Extreme Veteran
ohiost90 - 2008-02-26 11:01 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 11:56 AM

the bear - 2008-02-26 10:10 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:04 AM I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat. That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.

Sheesh, what kind of triathlons are you doing? I've done dozens of races and never seen " lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance." One or two maybe...

Again, plenty of info "on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat" available in the literature. The vast majority of people wouldn't "need" a coach to prepare.

The Pine Bush tri - two people needed ambulances. The West Point tri - one guy down on the side of the running path. The Lake George Tri - a couple of people needed help from medical personnel. And my point is that, no, I don't have time to plow through the literature to discern what is the best nutrition and hydration plan for me, and everyone here has a different opinion. I am not saying you need a coach. I am saying I need a coach, which you really can't refute. There is no one size fits all, like many here are claiming with statements like, "No sprint newbie or MOPer, or BOPer needs a coach." That is pure elitism.

So its your contention, without a coach, you would have what? Died, been taken to a hospital, not finished your TRIs? Would one of the above had happen without a coach and simply following one of the free(which there are about 3~4, not thousands) couch to sprint plans?

Also - how do you know that the poor folks being carted off didn't have coaches themselves? Are the coachless made to wear special bibs so that the medical staff can be alerted?

For me, personally, I didn't have the knowledge to hydrate for a race that took me 4 hours, and to take in enough nutrtion. So, yes, I may very well have ended up in the hospital, just like hundreds of runners did at the last Chicago Marathon. And, yes, there are plans out there, but you have to wade through them all, and still don't have one for your specific goals, experience and body.

As I read the rest of your post as being rather condescending, snarky, and quite disrespectful, I won't even respond.
2008-02-26 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1236453

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
ohiost90 - 2008-02-26 1:22 PM
amiine - 2008-02-26 12:36 PM

...I didn't see much animosity on that thread, many don't believe in coaching and they take any opportunity to make that very clear in as many posts as they can but you know what, that's fine.

amiine, quite frankly, that can be changed to many believe in coaching and they take any opportunity to make that very clear in as many posts as they can. I think it may depend on ones of view.
of course, hence the rest of my OP.

2008-02-26 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

I already have a wife that YELLS!!!  at me.  "Go Faster, Hurry Up!!!"

2008-02-26 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I think you've responded very kindly and completely, nancylee.

It is nice to see someone as certain of her conviction and decision-making, and I agree with your rationale to hire a coach.  For you it made perfect sense.  Even others here would think it's unnecessary or wasteful, that's their assessment -- not yours.  Enjoy your coach and enjoy your time with triathlon.  I hope you'll have many more finishes and successes in '08!

2008-02-26 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1236147

User image

Extreme Veteran
JohnnyKay - 2008-02-26 11:44 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:56 AM

That is pure elitism.

I think you're also reading too much into some people's posts.

I wasn't talking about just the posts in this thread - I am very sensitive to tone, and feel that BOPers are perhaps looked down upon, just a bit. To say that because someone is a novice, and ONLY doing sprints, there is NO need for a coach, that is elitist. People cannot judge what another person needs, and that is, I think, where the conflict developed on this thread.

Do I NEED a coach? I think I do. Others might say I just WANT a coach. So who decides? Need is a pretty black and white word.
2008-02-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1236537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
I just got back from my first training swim, and on second thought I may need a coach after all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  

of 6