General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-02-27 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1238576

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-02-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1238576

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches?

Scout7 - 2008-02-27 9:34 AM It's like Malmo said...  Coaching is about motivating and provoking you to do stuff that you never thought possible.

Of course, managing an athlete's training load is part of the motivating and provoking.  Just wanted to point that out so the coaches here don't infer any animosity.  

2008-02-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1238499

Champion
South Jersey
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 10:10 AM

One person's take on coaching

Malmo is tremendous. 

Ah, yes, but for the regular folk not blessed with the genetics for this stuff, like me, the following would run me right into injury and out of a season....

1. Run twice a day, as many days as you can. Hopefully five, six or seven days a week.
  2. Run more. How much? I dunno. You figure it out, but find out for yourself.
  3. Run it faster.
2008-02-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1238634

Not a Coach
Media, PA
LaurenSU02 - 2008-02-27 9:59 AM

Malmo is tremendous. 

Ah, yes, but for the regular folk not blessed with the genetics for this stuff, like me, the following would run me right into injury and out of a season....

1. Run twice a day, as many days as you can. Hopefully five, six or seven days a week.
  3. Run it faster.

Note the caveat I bolded.  Of course, you have to address any injuries and factor your current level of running fitness before plunging into his "plan" literally. 

Everyone is an individual and that's why the specifics of plans can vary dramatically (and result in much of the confusion people end up with in their own training).  But the concepts are constant.

2008-02-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1238634

Runner
He doesn't tell you how many miles to run.  It's up to you to pay attention and know thyself.
2008-02-27 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1238646

Champion
South Jersey
JohnnyKay - 2008-02-27 11:04 AM
LaurenSU02 - 2008-02-27 9:59 AM

Malmo is tremendous. 

3. Run it faster.

Note the caveat I bolded.  Of course, you have to address any injuries and factor your current level of running fitness before plunging into his "plan" literally. 

Everyone is an individual and that's why the specifics of plans can vary dramatically (and result in much of the confusion people end up with in their own training).  But the concepts are constant.

Yes, and obviously any coach-designed plan will eventually have you running more, farther, and faster....the same concepts. Just saying that it's really not that easy.

But, I might be bitter seeing how my training is monitored by a coach and medical professionals and is very conservative (at least the run part), yet I'm always injured.....

(And, I'll admit I hadn't read the whole thread, so maybe my post was out of context as I wasn't really familiar with the current tone of the thread.)

ETA: But I am not bitter towards coaches; I love having a coach .

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-02-27 10:28 AM

2008-02-27 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1238558

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2008-02-27 9:28 AM

It's the dirty secret that 95% of this is all pretty simple.

Very true, the only problem is that not for every come easy the understanding of the basics about endurance training. I don’t know what’s the reason for that but it is true and that’s one of the reasons some people need coaching and some others don’t. Also, as I posted above some might have the experience and knowledge to set up their own training but due to their particular needs/schedules or by personal choice they choose not to and pay someone else to do so.

For example one of my best friends is perfectly capable of cooking his meals, however due to his time constraints and his personal choice he rather eat out/order in almost every night of the week. He values his time in such way that he rather spends the money to have someone else do that for him even if that seems like a premium for someone else so he can use the available time for something more valuable in his eyes.

Another one could be my taxes, I have the basic knowledge to prepare my taxes and I’ve done in the past (in particular when I couldn’t afford an accountant ) but today I have a job which allows me afford things which maybe are not necessary but are valuable for me. Between my day job, coaching and another business venture I rather spend the $$ to have some else prepare my taxes because I don’t want to devote the time and I want to make 100% sure it is all in order.

2008-02-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1238770

Runner

For the record, I didn't post that to show that anyone can do it.

I posted it to show that there is a specific need for a coach.  And it is listed there.

But it also shows a compare/contrast.  It's not a denigration of coaches.  It shows that the basics are simple, but the nuances are complex. 

2008-02-27 10:45 AM

Champion
South Jersey

nm, was responding to post above, which was no longer the post above.

Just adding to what Jorge said that even some very good coaches still have their own coach, even though they are obviously perfectly capable of putting together a good plan.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-02-27 10:47 AM
2008-02-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1238788

Champion
South Jersey
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 11:43 AM

I posted it to show that there is a specific need for a coach.  And it is listed there.

But it also shows a compare/contrast.  It's not a denigration of coaches.  It shows that the basics are simple, but the nuances are complex. 

Cool. And, I apologize, because I probably misintrepreted your post....which might not have happened had I actually read the entire thread...

My bad .

2008-02-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1238821

Runner
LaurenSU02 - 2008-02-27 11:50 AM
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 11:43 AM

I posted it to show that there is a specific need for a coach. And it is listed there.

But it also shows a compare/contrast. It's not a denigration of coaches. It shows that the basics are simple, but the nuances are complex.

Cool. And, I apologize, because I probably misintrepreted your post....which might not have happened had I actually read the entire thread...

My bad .

No worries.

My only real complaint is with the "genetics" argument.  But that's a personal pet peeve of mine, and I understand your frustrations. 

2008-02-27 10:57 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
amiine - 2008-02-27 10:39 AM

Very true, the only problem is that not for every come easy the understanding of the basics about endurance training. I don’t know what’s the reason for that but it is true and that’s one of the reasons some people need coaching and some others don’t. Also, as I posted above some might have the experience and knowledge to set up their own training but due to their particular needs/schedules or by personal choice they choose not to and pay someone else to do so.

For example one of my best friends is perfectly capable of cooking his meals, however due to his time constraints and his personal choice he rather eat out/order in almost every night of the week. He values his time in such way that he rather spends the money to have someone else do that for him even if that seems like a premium for someone else so he can use the available time for something more valuable in his eyes.

Another one could be my taxes, I have the basic knowledge to prepare my taxes and I’ve done in the past (in particular when I couldn’t afford an accountant ) but today I have a job which allows me afford things which maybe are not necessary but are valuable for me. Between my day job, coaching and another business venture I rather spend the $$ to have some else prepare my taxes because I don’t want to devote the time and I want to make 100% sure it is all in order.

No doubt.  But for pretty much any individual, the '95% solution' is JFT.  Now, to maximize your potential given a laundry list of constraints gets much more challenging (even if you are very knowledgable about the basics).  That '5%' gets complicated.  I know you're aware of this, which is why I think you probably make a very good coach for many people.

And, for the record, "maximize potential" may mean very different things to different people.  Oh, and I picked 95/5 out of the air.  Perhaps it's 93/7. 

2008-02-27 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1238836

Champion
South Jersey

Edited to remove all that figurative language .

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-02-27 11:14 AM
2008-02-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1235602

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
A good coach is a good salesman. Many of the best salesmen, or women, have PE degrees, because they are generally outgoing folks that can talk to anyone, they aren't the number crunching alalysts that have equations for everything.

They tell you the best way to get better at running is running, hills is hills, swimming is swimming, and cycling is cycling, and find a way to get you to do it.

So a coach doesn't have to be able to run a 2hr marathon to get you to, he just needs to get you to do what you need to do to reach your maximum potential. Get you to buy into the system so to speak.

But for me the best coach right now are available resources on the subjects, BT, and of course my Garmin 305, it tries it's best to keep me from overdoing it, which is my biggest weakness.

2008-02-27 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1238558

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 9:10 AM

Malmo is tremendous. 

Training, dieting, losing weight, gaining strength, gaining endurance, are all simple. But not easy. As many here have said, part of the reason to hire a coach is for motivation/accountability. If having a coach makes it "easier" to train, then it makes it worthwhile.

2008-02-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1238788

Coach
Boston, MA
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 10:43 AM

no worries I liked the link and got the point

I guess my point is more around the fact that some people choose to get a coach for whatever reason and other don’t even need one. IMO the good coaches (for running, cycling, triathlon, swimming etc) are not only those with great experience/knowledge but also those who fulfill their clients’ specific needs/expectations beyond just setting a plan and asking him/her to go out and train lots! In the end in order to improve the athlete have to do the training, and the more you can do the more you will improve, plain and simple. For most around here the answer to achieve better performances is simple as you pointed out; where it gets sometimes a bit tricky is laying down the details or mapping out the best way to accomplish that. Sometimes as athletes we haven’t train enough to develop that feel for our bodies or better judge when we should focus on what part of our training load.

For 90% of the BTers a simple dose of training lots (JFT) should allow them to experience great improvements. Unfortunately some misjudge how much training load they can handle and/or just aren’t patient enough, hence they rack up their load and battle with injuries or suffer inconsistent training as they have to recover extensively from session to session.

OTOH, there are a few on this site who take lots of pride on the crazy volume they log week after week and according to the basic principles bigger training load = bigger performance gains correct? Still this athletes produce avg performances; how can that be? In their case they forget that training load = volume (duration + frequency) + intensity. Most likely they had adapted their bodies to handle such a big volume that they no longer see any positive adaptations and hit a plateau. These folks would benefit immensely from a solid dose of low volume high intensity and their performance would hit new PRs. For some of us identifying this might seem pretty straight forward and rather obvious yet many beginners or experienced athletes miss it over and over and over…

I believe there should be a lot more to coaching than setting up a monthly plan. IMO an added value and a vital one is to help a particular athlete to fulfill particular need(s) raging from motivation/accountability to something more complex as maximizing training to achieve peak performance. Coaching can take many forms and while it can help many it is definitely not for everyone.

2008-02-27 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1238841

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2008-02-27 10:57 AM '95% solution' is JFT.  Now, to maximize your potential given a laundry list of constraints gets much more challenging (even if you are very knowledgable about the basics).  That '5%' gets complicated.  I know you're aware of this, which is why I think you probably make a very good coach for many people.

And, for the record, "maximize potential" may mean very different things to different people.  Oh, and I picked 95/5 out of the air.  Perhaps it's 93/7. 

let's say 94.5/5.5 HA!

BTW, I am waiting until you choose to coach a few folks cuz I could use help! Maybe we can convince scout to help us with the marathoners

2008-02-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1239147

Runner
amiine - 2008-02-27 1:51 PM

BTW, I am waiting until you choose to coach a few folks cuz I could use help! Maybe we can convince scout to help us with the marathoners

God help you that you've even contemplated that idea.....

In seriousness, I've thought about it.  I figure if I can get spokes to actually run and complete a marathon, I can work all sorts of miracles. 

2008-02-27 12:56 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I just go back to what I had said in the original thread.  There always comes a point in the self-coached athlete's training where they hit a stagnant place and don't improve the way they had been.  Either they need to recognize this and be willing to make their own adjustments, or they go out and seek outside assistance.

For me it was swimming.  So I hired a coach for 3 one on one sessions and saw immediate improvement.  Now the only reason I'm not seeing more is because my swimming volume is just barely above my cycling volume (which for the record is 0 miles since mid-December).

As for the "motivational" aspect?  A coach is not (usually) going to be there at 4:30 in the morning to get one's lazy butt out of bed and on the road.  If someone doesn't want to do that, it doesn't matter who they pay ..... it just ain't gonna happen.  Bottom line, if an athlete is lethargic and lazy it is more than likely even a coach isn't going to change that unless they are present and on hand 24/7 to keep them moving.  And chances are, then you'd just have a bitter and resentful athlete.

2008-02-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1239069

Not a Coach
Media, PA
MikeTheBear - 2008-02-27 12:23 PM
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 9:10 AM

Malmo is tremendous. 

Training, dieting, losing weight, gaining strength, gaining endurance, are all simple. But not easy. As many here have said, part of the reason to hire a coach is for motivation/accountability. If having a coach makes it "easier" to train, then it makes it worthwhile.

And if that new bike makes it "easier" to train.  Or if joining a group/team makes it "easier" to train.  Or if your fancy HR/GPS/MP3/WiFi gizmo makes it "easier" to train.  Basically, whatever it takes for you to get out the door day after day is good and may very well be "worth it" for a given individual.  But whatever does it for you, you still have to do it.

2008-02-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1239162

Expert
Shelby Twp
Daremo - 2008-02-27 12:56 PM

I just go back to what I had said in the original thread.  There always comes a point in the self-coached athlete's training where they hit a stagnant place and don't improve the way they had been.  Either they need to recognize this and be willing to make their own adjustments, or they go out and seek outside assistance.

For me it was swimming.  So I hired a coach for 3 one on one sessions and saw immediate improvement.  Now the only reason I'm not seeing more is because my swimming volume is just barely above my cycling volume (which for the record is 0 miles since mid-December).

As for the "motivational" aspect?  A coach is not (usually) going to be there at 4:30 in the morning to get one's lazy butt out of bed and on the road.  If someone doesn't want to do that, it doesn't matter who they pay ..... it just ain't gonna happen.  Bottom line, if an athlete is lethargic and lazy it is more than likely even a coach isn't going to change that unless they are present and on hand 24/7 to keep them moving.  And chances are, then you'd just have a bitter and resentful athlete.

that was my reason for hiring a coach, I felt like I had tapped out my own knowledge and resources. I had done lots of my own research, and became overwhelmed at a point, and almost needed to see it put together. Ive had lots of "ah-ha" moments since getting a coach. After 3 years in the sport, I felt like i wanted to kick it up another notch if I could, and hopefully keep a nagging injury away this year. Again, we'll see!

Edited by kellc09 2008-02-27 1:06 PM

2008-02-27 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1239157

Melon Presser
Scout7 - 2008-02-27 12:54 PM
amiine - 2008-02-27 1:51 PM

BTW, I am waiting until you choose to coach a few folks cuz I could use help! Maybe we can convince scout to help us with the marathoners

God help you that you've even contemplated that idea.....

In seriousness, I've thought about it.  I figure if I can get spokes to actually run and complete a marathon, I can work all sorts of miracles. 

If you could get him to stop whining, too, I'll nominate you for sainthood.

You are already a coach. You ought to be a paid one. You are very knowledgeable, for one thing, which is great, but you also have that magic Malmo touch, so to speak.

Edited by TriAya 2008-02-27 1:22 PM
2008-02-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1239185

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-27 1:28 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I haven't noticed any animosity towards coaches, but more the attitude seems to be "You can do it yourself (tons of resources, etc.) but if you want to you can hire a coach."

And, of course, buyer beware, and make sure that your coach is going to give you what you need.  I don't see that as animosity though, more along the lines of don't spend your hard-earned cash if you're not going to get your money's worth. 

2008-02-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1239226

Runner
TriAya - 2008-02-27 2:21 PM

If you could get him to stop whining, too, I'll nominate you for sainthood.

*snerk*

That's beyond miracle level.  I think that's deity-level stuff right there. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  

of 6