General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hiking the Grand Canyon in march Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-26 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
Subject: Hiking the Grand Canyon in march
My family is coming to visit in mid-March and want to go to the canyon to hike. Does anyone know if the south rim is doable in mid March. We would do a 1 day in and out hike. Has anyone attempted this at this time? What is the weather like on the bottum?

Thanks

2008-02-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1238029

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Hiking the Grand Canyon in march
The South rim is "do-able" in March, but weather is a crap-shoot. You can have glorious cool/cold/clear weather at the South rim or a white out snow-storm (and even ice). As you descend to the River, conditions like that will turn to rain and if strong enough, the South Kaibab in particular will become a big mud-fest. At the river it should be a comfortable, clear 75-80, but I've also hiked out from the Phantom in pouring rain. The main thing is that you have to be prepared for all kinds of weather at that time of year, but those trips have always been my favorite, as opposed to Sept hikes where it's been as high as 115 at the bottom!
2008-02-27 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

As tinkerbell said, the weather will be a crap shoot, but mid March is a fine time to hike the canyon.  We've got snow and ice at the rim now, with plenty of mud.  It can be a very good time to do the canyon if you're prepared (be ready for temps from 75 to freezing all in the same day.)  You said you are planning a day hike to the bottom?  That's not a problem for someone in good shape, just carefully consider everyone in your family as the shortest route (Kaibab) is very steep and remember that the rim elevation is around 7,000 feet, as I recall, there isn't any water between the river and the rim either.  I wouldn't try to go all the way to the river and back with my family on a day hike....but I don't know your family.  You might also consider a hike to plateau point on the bright angel trail if you want something a little less challenging.  Whatever you decide have fun and start early.

2008-02-29 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I have done a down and out in March and it was snow on the rim, mid 60's at the river, so just be prepared. And if your family isn't VERY in shape, don't go down too far, no farther than Indian Garden tops.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hiking the Grand Canyon in march Rss Feed