General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's Knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-29 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: Runner's Knee

I'd done all sorts of research on this subject and to be honest there are about a million different suggestions. Most agree however that you need to stretch the thigh muscles as well as strengthen your quads.

I think mine is due to overuse but I'm also really bad about stretching too.

So to anyone who has had these problems what sort of stretches and/or exercises helped you?

Last weekend I almost had to walk the last 1/4 mile of a 10k trail run because it was screaming so badly.  First time I've ever had that sort of pain on a run. 

Edited by TriRSquared 2008-02-29 11:15 AM

2008-02-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1243846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Runner's Knee

I share your pain....   literally.

What I do to keep the pain at bay is:

1. stretch every day - hamstring, quad, calfs, hip flexors, hip extendors (ie: butt) lower back.  you can do a little research or buy a book for how best to stretch those areas 
  2. I have also been trying trigger points, but not sold on it yet.
  3. lift twice per week (full body so legs are included)
  4. maintain the 10% rule - no more than 10% increase per week or any one workout.

basically, you know you need to stretch, so be more diligent. put it on your training plan as part of your training.

2008-02-29 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
trigger points, especially on soleus (lower calf) and IT band seem to do the trick for me.
2008-02-29 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I got hit with a bout of runner's knee out of the blue on 1/22. With an 18-mile road race, a sprint tri, and the LA Marathon staring me in the face, I had to deal as aggressively as possible with it. Looking around for options, I found some helpful suggestions:

--Ice it after activity. A couple times a day to start. I kept it up for a the first week.
--Anti-inflammatories. I took Advil twice a day for the first three weeks, then backed it off to once a day now.
--Strenghten your quad. Mine is probably not due to strength imbalance in the lower quad (it's an overpronation issue), but I definitely believe the following recommended exercises helped with improving kneecap tracking:
1) On your back, with non-injured knee up (i.e., with that foot flat on the floor), press the entire length of your injured leg down into the floor as an isometric and hold.
2) In same position, do straight leg lift of injured leg (to the level of your other, raised, knee works well as a guidepost).
Repeat these. The conventional wisdom is to isolate the muscle on the inside-front of your thigh, just above the kneecap and strengthen that.
--I found that knee straps _do_ help. I tried a couple brands--the Ace brand, which is designed rather differently than most all the others, worked really well for me...I'll be wearing it in my marathon on Sunday. It has a weird open-ended sleeve for the pressure tube (you'll see what I'm referring to if you look at any strap) which allows for a really precise adjustment. I have an elite duathlete friend who's a surgical RN and he's got one of a different brand that he wears when his patellar tendonitis flares up and he swears by his...I wish I could remember what brand it was.
--Avoid stairs and hills as much as you can.
--Keep you leg extended as much as possible, including when you sleep. This is pretty important. If you have a desk job, find a way to keep your knee straight as much of the day as possible. Runner's knee strikes a fair number of sedentary people with desk jobs.

---And...of course...rest!!! I shut down most of my training for four weeks. Subbed in walking for running and only really pushed for the races I was determined to go ahead with and did do my scheduled long runs. Cycling can be an issue when the injury is still esp. painful. Swimming is obviously a good substitute...but I even had pain pushing off the pool wall the first week.

Monitor the discomfort level closely. This can be a chronic issue...if you allow yourself a lot of rest, you should notice even day-to-day improvement and, if you don't, get it checked out by an orthopedist.

The conventional wisdom is that _most of the time_ the injury will subside (if it is going to subside) in roughly six weeks. I felt about 85% recovered by exactly five weeks.

Good luck!
2008-02-29 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
I have spent lots of time in physical therapy for this, and my magic combination is rest, ice (immediately after every exercise, whether it be the run, bike, or swim-- they all hurt), patellar taping, and lots of inner quadriceps strengthening.  I do leg lifts (side, standing, sitting), wall squats, and plenty of IT band and hamstring stretches.  I pulverize the IT band with the foam roller as often as possible, too, because I'd previously been diagnosed with ITBS....I don't think it hurts to cover all your bases. 
It's a lot of work, but I make sure to do the exercises before I go to bed each night.  I may not have perfectly functioning knees, but this at least keeps the pain at bay and every week, they do improve.  (Last season, it took several months to get back to pain free status)  Good luck conquering your runner's knee!  It takes work, but I like to think it CAN be beaten.
2008-03-02 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Sorry guys went out of town this weekend and just got back to these responses.  I already ice my knees after every run.

These are the types of exercises I was looking for.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

2008-03-02 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Some other things to whats already been added:

- I got custom orthotics, they help with better leg tracking which in term has helped with the Runners Knee

- Strengthening includes one legged squats, lunges, clam shells and pelvic raises all diagnosed by the PT and focusing on good form with good knee tracking rather than huge weights (one of my major issues is muscular imbalance in the glutes which I dont engage properly resulting in poor hip stability)

- i got told to avoid anti inflammatories unless the pain was bad because i need the pain as a feedback as to when Ive over done it and to STOP! if it hurts, there is a problem and i should stop what Im doing

- As mentioned above ice and patella taping is good, as well as stretchin ITB, calves, archilles and quads

- Initially I was on swimming and cycling ONLY for quite some time....

The next step will be a proper gait/running analysis with the sports doc as my running form is not great an likely to continue causing recurring injury if not addressed...

Edited by kaqphin 2008-03-02 7:21 PM
2008-03-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1244043

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

tcovert - 2008-02-29 10:16 AM I got hit with a bout of runner's knee out of the blue on 1/22. With an 18-mile road race, a sprint tri, and the LA Marathon staring me in the face, I had to deal as aggressively as possible with it. Looking around for options, I found some helpful suggestions: --Ice it after activity. A couple times a day to start. I kept it up for a the first week. --Anti-inflammatories. I took Advil twice a day for the first three weeks, then backed it off to once a day now. --Strenghten your quad. Mine is probably not due to strength imbalance in the lower quad (it's an overpronation issue), but I definitely believe the following recommended exercises helped with improving kneecap tracking: 1) On your back, with non-injured knee up (i.e., with that foot flat on the floor), press the entire length of your injured leg down into the floor as an isometric and hold. 2) In same position, do straight leg lift of injured leg (to the level of your other, raised, knee works well as a guidepost). Repeat these. The conventional wisdom is to isolate the muscle on the inside-front of your thigh, just above the kneecap and strengthen that. --I found that knee straps _do_ help. I tried a couple brands--the Ace brand, which is designed rather differently than most all the others, worked really well for me...I'll be wearing it in my marathon on Sunday. It has a weird open-ended sleeve for the pressure tube (you'll see what I'm referring to if you look at any strap) which allows for a really precise adjustment. I have an elite duathlete friend who's a surgical RN and he's got one of a different brand that he wears when his patellar tendonitis flares up and he swears by his...I wish I could remember what brand it was. --Avoid stairs and hills as much as you can. --Keep you leg extended as much as possible, including when you sleep. This is pretty important. If you have a desk job, find a way to keep your knee straight as much of the day as possible. Runner's knee strikes a fair number of sedentary people with desk jobs. ---And...of course...rest!!! I shut down most of my training for four weeks. Subbed in walking for running and only really pushed for the races I was determined to go ahead with and did do my scheduled long runs. Cycling can be an issue when the injury is still esp. painful. Swimming is obviously a good substitute...but I even had pain pushing off the pool wall the first week. Monitor the discomfort level closely. This can be a chronic issue...if you allow yourself a lot of rest, you should notice even day-to-day improvement and, if you don't, get it checked out by an orthopedist. The conventional wisdom is that _most of the time_ the injury will subside (if it is going to subside) in roughly six weeks. I felt about 85% recovered by exactly five weeks. Good luck!

Thanks for this, good information here. 

2008-03-02 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
I'm no expert on rehab but when I first started running my knee was killing me.  I focused on running "quieter".  (spelled quitter the first time).  I focus on running to sort of 'skim' the ground and try to more gently land.  I very much avoid the high stepping like sprinters.  At first the front of your thigh will burn until you develop that muscle more.  But it worked for me.  I showed one guy during a race who was in obvious pain, he did feel better and finish.
2008-03-03 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
"Wall Sits" ( 10 x 1 min.) Works really well for strength
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's Knee Rss Feed