General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB outfitting for TRI?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-01 9:12 PM

User image

Salt Lake City
Subject: MTB outfitting for TRI??
Hi! I am new here and training for my first tri.....planning a sprint in June and a titanium in August. Am I crazy to think I can outfit my MTB with road tires and clip on aero bars and use it comfortably for tri races? It's a Klien so it's relatively lightweight so I am thinking it would work? AND after the purchase of my sweeeet ProMotion wetsuit a few weeks ago in Hood River I was hoping to not spend a fortune on the bike!!!
(BTW if you can get there it is a wonderful experience shopping there. Will was so helpful while I tried on wetsuit-after-wetsuit until I found the perfect one and even kept my husband entertained with the scoop about all the runs on Mt Hood where we were headed to go snowboarding).
Thanks!!

2008-03-02 1:09 AM
in reply to: #1246393

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: MTB outfitting for TRI??

I have seem many people use a mtn bike for triathon - especially for sprints.  I also think that changing to road tires is the best move you can make.  Should really help with speed.

I'm not sure if getting an aero bar for your mtn bike would help that much.  I'm concerned about what that would do to handling and could cause you problems.  I would suggest not doing that and saving your money.  Road tires and clipless pedals would be your best bet by far....

Just my .02..  Good luck with your sprint!

2008-03-02 1:10 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Lots of people ride mountain bikes (or worse), particularly in sprints. 

Put on slicks, and clipless pedals if you don't already have them.  Aero bars--I wouldn't bother on a mt bike personally, but people do, you wouldn't be the only one.  And if you go with a road bike later on, you can always transfer them.

2008-03-02 1:48 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I put on slicks for my MTB for sprint and oly. Waste of money imho. Just ride your knobbies and have fun. If you are serious, get a road or tri bike.
2008-03-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1246660

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

auto208562 - 2008-03-02 12:48 AM I put on slicks for my MTB for sprint and oly. Waste of money imho. Just ride your knobbies and have fun. If you are serious, get a road or tri bike.

Slicks are pretty cheap and they will make the ride more enjoyable (i.e fun) but they aren't going to make you any more of a contender for fastest bike split.  If you are looking to win, you need a fast roadie or tri bike, so I can see your point.  Personally, I'd get some cheap slicks, run em at 80psi+ and call it good.  Aerobars are not gonna work that well on the MTB due to the geometry of the MTB. 

2008-03-09 4:09 PM

User image

Salt Lake City
Thanks everybody for the tips... Think I'm going to stick with the MTB with slicks and clips and not try the aero bars and after a few races I'll be ready to choose a tri bike. Also we may be moving to a much bigger city in a few months witch would afford me a better selection of tri bikes!

2008-03-09 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in the same boat; I'll be putting slicks on my mt bike for tri's until I decide to spend the big bucks.  I just don't want to spend 1k on an okay bike then a year later decide to drop  a lot of money on a really nice bike.  Stick w/ the mountain bike until you get serious and know exactly what you want in a tri or road bike.  No aero bars for me, I always have clipless pedals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB outfitting for TRI?? Rss Feed