General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions for HIM, clothing and such Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-02 1:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Subject: Transitions for HIM, clothing and such

I did a search and didn't really find the answer to my question.

For a HIM in moderate heat with a wetsuit for the swim what is the concensus on clothing? Trisuit under wetsuit then haul arse?

My biggest concern would be the bike ride as I usually keep my "doo dads" in my cycling jersey on longer rides to keep the bike "cleaner" for aerodynamics sake, but also wonder if a jersey is just extra time wasted?

I hadn't really thought much about it till I did a few swim/bike workouts with simulated transitions, being wet makes everything go on slow, and takes ten times as long as it does when just going for a ride from being dry.

Thanks, I am trying to be as much of a sponge as possible.

Edited by ZekeB 2008-03-02 1:17 AM

2008-03-02 1:25 AM
in reply to: #1246620

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Transitions for HIM, clothing and such

This is what I do.....

Tri suit, either one piece or two under the wetsuit.  Strip the suit, get to your bike put on the helmet and go......

All my "doo dads/nutrition" is in my bento box or taped to the frame.  Fluids are in the "behind the seat" water bottle holders.  I have a small race tool bag hanging beneath the seat.  Not sure what else you would need to bring.  Aero won't be affected significantly because the bento box or nutrition taped to the frame is shielded by the stem.

The end....

2008-03-02 1:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I forgot to add my "doo dads" were the bike junk, tubes and such.

I have a little bag but for some reason I feel faster when my "suff" is in my jersey and not on the bike, reckon it's noodle related.

thanks.

To add to the question, how much bike stuff do you carry? whole tool kit, just a tire bar and tubes? How many tubes? How many CO2 cartridges?

2008-03-02 1:43 AM
in reply to: #1246646

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Look at the pros, they have everything behind their seat.  It may actually be LESS aerodynamic to have things in your jersey if you are in earo position.  Air is supposed to flow over your back and junk may mess that up....  Just a thougt.

My tool kit includes a basic bike multi tool - Small and lightweight.  Tire levers, A CO2 pump, 1 spare tube, 1 quick patch kit (they look like bandaids for your tube).  1 extra CO2 for a Oly, or maybe 2 if I'm doing an HIM.

I'm banking that if I get a flat, I will quickly change the tube.  If I get TWO flats, I'm pretty much out of the race anyway, so I  take the time to fix the leak.  Plus there are support vehicles every so often that could help.  If I get three, I would consider a DNF and catch a lift back to the finish - which would be sad.....

2008-03-02 1:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I have tried the patch kits and on both occasions even with meticulous, read that anal, following of the instructions they still slowly leak, and I ended up tossing the tubes. Both were the second flat of the day, aka already changed my spare out and needed to get home.

You make valid points, maybe it is just the weight difference from taking my bike out of the truck with and without the ditty bag on there.

Also my tool is kinda big, a Alien, so I may get a smaller one. I believe it was their second to largest model at the time I bought it, now five or so years.

Thanks, oh yeah, what about socks?

I train in Under Armor no show's, they wick great and are pretty cheap compared to other similar synthetic types, but also noticed some shoes and cycling shoes are advertising they are designed for sockless wear.

2008-03-02 7:23 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I don't wear socks with bike shoes.  I do, however, put socks on during T2.  I tried running a mile without socks as an experiment - no good.  So now, I rolled my socks up and pull them on at T2.

As for the rest, Tri-shorts and top under the wetsuit.  Remove the wetsuit at T1.  I use a gel flask which I grab at T1 and put in my shirt pocket.  They make holsters for your bike but I haven't gotten one yet.  My repair kit stays on my bike behind my saddle.

2008-03-02 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Hom many bottle racks are ya'll carrying for a HIM?

I have one on the lower tube of the bike, and then a double behind the seat. Am going to eventually get one of those tween the aerobars jobs. My bike only has room for one inside the frame, Kestrel KM40 fyi.

thanks guys,
2008-03-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1247520

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

ZekeB - 2008-03-02 7:51 PM

Hom many bottle racks are ya'll carrying for a HIM? I have one on the lower tube of the bike, and then a double behind the seat. Am going to eventually get one of those tween the aerobars jobs. My bike only has room for one inside the frame, Kestrel KM40 fyi. thanks guys,

Unless you are doing a HIM that doesn't have a large number of aid stations, you should be fine carrying only one or maybe two bottles.  For a HIM, I would have an aerobottle in front and maybe a bottle behind the seat.  IMO, there is no reason to load up the bike with four or five bottles when you have on course support.

Shane

2008-03-02 7:36 PM
in reply to: #1247530

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
gsmacleod - 2008-03-02 6:55 PM

ZekeB - 2008-03-02 7:51 PM

Hom many bottle racks are ya'll carrying for a HIM? I have one on the lower tube of the bike, and then a double behind the seat. Am going to eventually get one of those tween the aerobars jobs. My bike only has room for one inside the frame, Kestrel KM40 fyi. thanks guys,

Unless you are doing a HIM that doesn't have a large number of aid stations, you should be fine carrying only one or maybe two bottles.  For a HIM, I would have an aerobottle in front and maybe a bottle behind the seat.  IMO, there is no reason to load up the bike with four or five bottles when you have on course support.

Shane

Unless you aren't comfortable with bottle hand-offs in motion. I carried an extra bottle on board so I wouldn't have to worry about missing the hand off. But that is me and I'm in the grace-impaired category

Pam
2008-03-02 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Very good points, I hadn't really factored in the aid stations, which are plentiful.

keep em coming if ya got more.
2008-03-02 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1246629

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Aikidoman - 2008-03-02 1:25 AM

This is what I do.....

Tri suit, either one piece or two under the wetsuit.  Strip the suit, get to your bike put on the helmet and go......

All my "doo dads/nutrition" is in my bento box or taped to the frame.  Fluids are in the "behind the seat" water bottle holders.  I have a small race tool bag hanging beneath the seat.  Not sure what else you would need to bring.  Aero won't be affected significantly because the bento box or nutrition taped to the frame is shielded by the stem.

The end....

X2.  I have EVERYTHING on the bike.  Book up, drop/tear off weat suit, put helmet on (I have it speared on my straw of my aero bottle), run, jump on bike.  Put on shoes while riding, no socks.  I carry one extra watter bottle.  The extra water bottle is handy so that when my aero bottle gets empty enough, I squeeze the extra bottle into it.  Then when I see the bottle exchange, chuck the old bottle right before the station, and grab the new one.  I find that part really fun. 

My sunglasses are jammed in my areo bottle.  I have tubular tires for racing and carry one spare for HIM but olys I skip the spare.  Flat on oly = dnf.

I've been thinking hard about the xlab mount behind the seat.  I have 2 bike bags that fit under the seat, one medium one large.  I need the large for my HIM for the tube and crap.  Anyone have the xlab mount?

2008-03-03 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
Water bottle hand-offs are fine, if you like what they're serving on the course. I take two bottles of Hammer Perpetuem on bike, and have more in transition for run. But I'm a newbie, so what do I know . . .
2008-03-03 9:06 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

< --- look at my pic, that's how I race. I wear the suit under the wetsuit/skinsuit. As for tubes/CO2, pipe, etc I have a very small bag under the seat just for races that fits all.  I only use the drink on the course so I don't have to worry about that and I carry two gel flasks I put one on my jersey at T1 and I grab the other one at T2,

To have faster Transitions you need to practice. After and OWS practice T1 before your ride and after a long ride practice T2 before your transition run

2008-03-03 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1248155

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
bikingbruise - 2008-03-02 10:02 PM

X2.  I have EVERYTHING on the bike.  Book up, drop/tear off weat suit, put helmet on (I have it speared on my straw of my aero bottle), run, jump on bike.  Put on shoes while riding, no socks.  I carry one extra watter bottle.  The extra water bottle is handy so that when my aero bottle gets empty enough, I squeeze the extra bottle into it.  Then when I see the bottle exchange, chuck the old bottle right before the station, and grab the new one.  I find that part really fun. 

My sunglasses are jammed in my areo bottle.  I have tubular tires for racing and carry one spare for HIM but olys I skip the spare.  Flat on oly = dnf.

I've been thinking hard about the xlab mount behind the seat.  I have 2 bike bags that fit under the seat, one medium one large.  I need the large for my HIM for the tube and crap.  Anyone have the xlab mount?

Have friends who have the X-lab. I have heard it can be very finicky and that your bottles can actually drop out of the holders if you don't have it perfectly angled. Can end up causing more headache than that little piece of carbon is worth.
2008-03-03 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I have only done one HIM but I wore my wetsuit over my trisuit.  I removed my trisuit in the transition area, donned my helmet, my cycling shoes, stuck two spare tubes in my back pockets along with tire irons and jumped on the bike.  I had my mini pump strapped accross my the flat of my aero bar.  I grabbed a  water bottle at the start of my first lap (each lap was 15 kms).  On the second lap, I picked up a bottle of gatorade, which I put in my holder on the downtube.  I kept alternation, water on the odd laps and gatorade on the even laps.   I also picked up cookies, gue, smarites and other goodies to eat at the end of each lap.  This worked very well for me.
2008-03-03 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1249623

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA

Machiavelo - 2008-03-03 3:55 PM I have only done one HIM but I wore my wetsuit over my trisuit. I removed my trisuit in the transition area, donned my helmet, my cycling shoes, stuck two spare tubes in my back pockets along with tire irons and jumped on the bike. I had my mini pump strapped accross my the flat of my aero bar. I grabbed a water bottle at the start of my first lap (each lap was 15 kms). On the second lap, I picked up a bottle of gatorade, which I put in my holder on the downtube. I kept alternation, water on the odd laps and gatorade on the even laps. I also picked up cookies, gue, smarites and other goodies to eat at the end of each lap. This worked very well for me.

I assume it was quite awkward removing your tri suit as well and led to a very uncomfortable 56 mile bike, but whatever floats your boatWink

2008-03-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1246666

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
ZekeB - 2008-03-02 12:50 AM

Also my tool is kinda big,

Sounds like bragging to me...
2008-03-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1249828

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

"assume it was quite awkward removing your tri suit as well and led to a very uncomfortable 56 mile bike, but whatever floats your boatWink "

Touché!  I meant to say that I removed my WETSUIT.  It would have been a very uncomfortable 90kms riding around in the buff ...

Edited by Machiavelo 2008-03-03 6:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions for HIM, clothing and such Rss Feed