General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is LT static or dynamic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-03 3:02 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Is LT static or dynamic?

What is the prevailing thoughts about this?

Is one's LT HR more or less genetically determined?  Or can one's LT HR be moved based on LT focused training?

2008-03-03 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1249638

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: Is LT static or dynamic?

I recall reading somewhere on this site that it decreases with age (no, I'm NOT refering to Max HR).

Are not the important factors the power/pace one develops at threshold? For example, training to increase one's Functional bike power, which just so happens to occur at the LT HR?

2008-03-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1249758

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I agree, that's the important part - your pace/power at your given LT (or HR at LT).  I was just wondering if it can be manipulated.

I heard that AT (to often interchanged - which I feel is incorrect to do so) CAN be adjusted with training at or slightly above your AT.  I was wondering if LT was the same.

So, if I have a 180 bpm at LT (running), is that pretty much set except for perhaps a reduction due to age?

2008-03-03 4:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-03 6:26 PM

Veteran
Houston, TX

I remember reading (don't remember where) LT should increase with training near LT pace- that you will be more effectively clearing lactate from the blood at higher heart rates as your body works at this pace- and that you only need 20 min just below LT to do this- and it can be broken into two 10min intervals , four 5-min intervals, etc.

I don't know how much it is supposed to increase.  I did my LTHR testing but I haven't done much training at LT pace so I haven't re-measured them yet.

2008-03-03 6:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-03 7:01 PM

Coach
Boston, MA

Lactate Threshold as in blood analysis = the point where lactate levels raise by 1 mmol/liter above the individuals baseline. The cause for LT is basically the result of your body's fuel choice; it is the point at which your muscles fuel can no longer keep the given intensity using primarily fat for fuel, hence muscles begin burning more CHO and this process generates more lactate.

Why is all this related to your question? Because it should give you a better idea of what LT really means and show you that LT is the result of how fit you are (not the cause) and it is highly correlated to endurance performance. Specifically the pace/power you can be able to sustain at LT is highly trainable. Speaking of LT in terms of your HR it is somehow static.  Yes as we train more our heart can get bigger and improve maximal stroke volume delivering more oxygen to the working muscles, but not stroke count per say, which it is more genetically determined (and it decreases as we age). But the pace/speed that you can sustain at your LTHR will increase as you train more and get in better shape.

Using HR as a method to determine and gauge your training zones is a great way to train more efficiently but you have to keep in mind that when training, the specific HR is just a response of the training intensity or stress imposed on your body. What’s important is the actual pace/power you can perform at a given HR. IOW use the training zones to determine at what intensity you should be training but pay more attention what sort of pace/power you can achieve at that specific range. If your LTHR is 170 for instance the important factor will be what sort of power/pace you can sustain, the faster it is the fitter you are

Finally, LT is highly sport specific, hence  to be able to generate more power at LT while biking doesn't mean you can run at a faster pace at LT as well; that's why you have to specifically train each by swimming, biking and running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is LT static or dynamic? Rss Feed