General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Clyd/Athena's always go last? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-31 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1249697

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Do Clyd/Athena's always go last?
Just because you start last doesn't mean you have to finish last.

2008-03-31 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1306251

User image

Master
Chicago
ASA True but if you know from where I started you can understand why it's a legitimate possibility.

I expect there to be a small handful of people slower looking at previous year times, and given the size of this particular race (It's HUGE), but if they all start before me then there is a decent chance I might be out there with very few people or (gasp) ALONEEEeeee. Especially if I can't manage to increase my swim times.

Anyway it's not a huge deal just rather have a few people around.

Anyway I have 5 months before the A race so lots of time to improve!
2008-03-31 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1306282

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

IdealMuse - 2008-03-31 7:59 PM ASA True but if you know from where I started you can understand why it's a legitimate possibility. I expect there to be a small handful of people slower looking at previous year times, and given the size of this particular race (It's HUGE), but if they all start before me then there is a decent chance I might be out there with very few people or (gasp) ALONEEEeeee. Especially if I can't manage to increase my swim times. Anyway it's not a huge deal just rather have a few people around. Anyway I have 5 months before the A race so lots of time to improve!

Been there.  My first race I finished third from last.  Still one of the best days of my life.   I grabbed my three year old daughter and crossed the finish line with a gigantic smile on my face.  I framed the race photo and my bib number and it hangs proudly in my office.

My advice....smile big for the finishing photo!!!

2008-04-01 9:06 AM

I've done that race as a Clydesdale and it was about 2 hours before I was in the water because the race is so big & the Clydesdale's location in the line-up. My wife went close to that time as well, as an Athena. But there were a ton of other people behind us as well (not sure who they were)...It's a fun race and was listed as a Clydesdale natl' event too. The nice part is you get to pass lots of people so you get the "hey I'm really flying" feeling. If you check the web site a lot of times they will have the order of who hits the water and when so you can get an idea of what your looking at. Oh and add 20 minutes I have yet to see a race start on time. Most of all have fun!
-john
2008-04-04 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran

I used to race Athena until I went to an out of town race in Akron.  I was in the last wave of swimmers (& I am a good swimmer).  The bike was through a state park with a lot of turns & roads leading places throughout the park.  There were supposed to be volunteers & cones in the park, which was out and back.  HOWEVER, by the time I was coming back, all the volunteers had left AND the cones were gone.  I was in the middle of a freaking state park & I had NO idea where to go.  I did find my way out & ran the entire race without seeing a single soul except the volunteers, who did happen to stay for the run.

I didn't come in last (2nd to last) but because of starting toward the end it was a VERY BAD experience.  I am often one of the last 10 in race times.  So I race age group. 

2008-04-05 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1251234

User image

Champion
the colony texas
the bear - 2008-03-04 10:36 AM

Most RDs put the Clydes last so there will be enough post-race food to go around.

Cool

I am soo guilty of that.. it's why I'm still a clyde. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Clyd/Athena's always go last? Rss Feed  

of 2