General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » wanting to try a duathlon need some guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-03 10:30 PM

New user

Georgia
Subject: wanting to try a duathlon need some guidance
I am wanting to train for a duathlon and want some guidance as to what I need to do. I exercise fairly regularly but have never trained for anything like this before. I am shooting for a race at the end of May and want to find the right plan for me to use to get complete the race. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

2008-03-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1250547

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: wanting to try a duathlon need some guidance

My first suggestion is to check out the free training plans on this site - that's what I did.  I'm not sure if they have a duathlon plan, but you could get one for tri's and skip the swims.  There may be a plan that has a bike focus, that's the one I would use.

Welcome to the world of multisport!

2008-03-04 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
FL

We probably need to know your base that you are starting from.  A few things to consider.

You should be able to do the total milage of running in one shot or very close to it.  This depends on the Du and what the numbers are. 

As far as the bike, you just need to get out and ride.  Also, practice some bricks.  A brick is when you go from one discipline to the next.  In the case of a Du, the hard one is getting off of the bike and then running.  The sensation is differnent for some but most describe having legs that feel very heavy for a 1/2 mile to a mile.  For me, if I put it hard on the bike all the way to the end of the bike leg, my calves will cramp real bad and make me come to a stop.  If I slow down on the last 1/2 to 1 mile on the bike leg, this does not occur nearly as bad. 

2008-03-05 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1253113

New user

Georgia
it is a 2 mile run, 22 mile ride, 4 mile run. It is in june so I have a lot of time. Thanks for the info so far. Would you suggest taking the beginner plan for a tri and leaving out the swim part and maybe adding strength training to it instead.
2008-03-06 5:09 AM

Veteran
South Florida
For that distance, I would use the plan for an Olympic distance tri. Leave out the swims, and maybe add an extra bike one week and an extra run the next, along with strength training once a week. Hey that sounds so good, I might try it!!! This swimming is making me sick anyway.
2008-03-06 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Bricks, must...do...bricks.
and WELCOME TO BT!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » wanting to try a duathlon need some guidance Rss Feed