General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Miscellaneous Questions..Swim/Run/Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-05 1:22 PM

Veteran
Subject: Beginner Miscellaneous Questions..Swim/Run/Strength Training
Hello all,

I have a few random questions that have popped up during my trainng this week...

Swim: has anyone ever gotten a sore throat/ear-ache after their swim? Is it something to worry about? I went swimming last night and my throat/ear are kinda sore..it seems to be gettign better as the day goes by but was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before.

Run: I run three days a week, what is the best way to optimize my runs...I do a long run on Sundays, a tempo run on Tuesdays, and a third run on Fridays..whats the best way to use this Friday run?

Strength Training: I strength train twice a week, on Tuesday I do upper body on Wednesday I target my lower body. For each exercise I do, I do three sets, 12 reps each. Is it better to do two sets or three sets for each exercise?

Ok, thats it for now...just thought I would get some comments from you all :-)

Happy Wednesday!!

2008-03-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1254279

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Beginner Miscellaneous Questions..Swim/Run/Strength Training

Swim: the chlorine can be irritating to your upper respiratory tract. I wouldn't worry about it if it's going away. Some folks like to use a saline nasal rinse and ear drops to dry out the ears after swimming (or use earplugs).

Run: IF you have a good running base (several months of several runs a week, progressively increasing mileage)--hard to tell since you haven't started to log your data here yet--you might consider doing intervals. What those might be for you is an entirely different question, based on your running history, current pace, and goals.

Strength Training: you'll probably get a lot of voices here telling you not to strength train. Hard to know because you didn't say what your goal with strength training is.

2008-03-05 1:33 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Makukula - 2008-03-05 1:22 PM Hello all, I have a few random questions that have popped up during my trainng this week...

Swim: has anyone ever gotten a sore throat/ear-ache after their swim? Is it something to worry about? I went swimming last night and my throat/ear are kinda sore..it seems to be gettign better as the day goes by but was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before.

It's possible to get ear infections from swimming.  At this time of year, it's also possible that you just timed swimming with getting some kind of cold.  If it keeps getting better, don't worry.

Run: I run three days a week, what is the best way to optimize my runs...I do a long run on Sundays, a tempo run on Tuesdays, and a third run on Fridays..whats the best way to use this Friday run?

Just run.

Strength Training: I strength train twice a week, on Tuesday I do upper body on Wednesday I target my lower body. For each exercise I do, I do three sets, 12 reps each. Is it better to do two sets or three sets for each exercise?

Depends upon your goals.  Doing more is generally better than less as long as you can handle the load.  If you can't handle the load, do less.

2008-03-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1254309

TriAya - 2008-03-05 2:32 PM

Strength Training: you'll probably get a lot of voices here telling you not to strength train. Hard to know because you didn't say what your goal with strength training is.

Agreed. If you have specific questions regarding strength training, you might want to go to the Strength Training forum - it's a very touchy subject around here, so it got its own forum, where strength trainers can discuss the topic without fear

Agree with Yanti regarding the swim thing and the run thing - what is your running background? I couldn't answer that question for you, since I'm not a runner by trade, but it'll be hard for more experienced runners to assess your situation without any more info.

2008-03-05 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
sorry to hijack - and possibly open up a can of worms - but WHY is strength training a 'touchy subject'?

I strength train usually 3 x/week (with a personal trainer)...I only see benefits from building muscle mass, working on core, balance and flexibility...what am I missing?

Jill
2008-03-05 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1254336

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

couch potato no more - 2008-03-05 1:45 PM sorry to hijack - and possibly open up a can of worms - but WHY is strength training a 'touchy subject'?

I strength train usually 3 x/week (with a personal trainer)...I only see benefits from building muscle mass, working on core, balance and flexibility...what am I missing?

Jill

It's generally only 'touchy' when peple try to extrapolate weight training to performance gains in triathlon (or other endurance sports).  It's open to (quite a lot of) debate whether one can lead to the other.  But there are still many good/valid reasosns to weight train outside of triathlon performance and there's very little debate about that (or 'touchiness').

2008-03-05 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
FL

I wear swimming earplugs for now especially while the water is cold.   You might try this.

As far as strength training goes.  I have alot of experience in this and some personal experience with body building.  1st thing to remember is that whatever you are doing is better than nothing.  No matter what people say about it being neccesary for tri, the benefits are good.  It can help loose weight, increase tones, strenghing muscles and tendons and make you look and feel better.  

Regarding sets and reps: 3 sets of 12 is fine, I generally do 3 or 4 sets of 10.  There is not much reason to sweat the details on this unless you are really trying to gain alot of muscle mass.  One day a week though on each muscle group is not really enough.  2 is better and if you are not working out really hard (I suspect this is the case), 3 times a week would be fine as long as there is a day inbetween. 

In the days that I worked out really hard, I would do 4 sets, usually starting lower weight and increasing to weights that I could not do a full 10 reps or I needed help.  The weight I started was backed into based on what weight I knew that I would do my last set on.  So if I was doing bicep curls and my max weight at a given time was 135lbs, then I would start at 75 and add weight on each set and end at 135lbs.  Likely, the last set would be very difficult and I may not be able to do 10 reps but eventaully I would.  Once I could do 10 reps at that weight, then it was time to increase the weight.

I would work each muscle group 2 times a week.  day 1 was biceps and triceps, day 2 was shoulders and chest, day 3 was legs and back.  I would work in some abs somewhere too. 

Now, I try to work out 2 times a week but I don't do legs anymore and usually I do more of a fast routine that is 3 sets of 10 reps and two exersizes for each muscle group.  This means I do all muscle groups on each workout day except legs.  Therefore, each muscle groups gets worked 2 times a week.  This works for me right now considering that I have a busy life and swim, bike and run too.  I am able to build some muscle with this yet not get too intense or spend too much time.  I usually only spend 30-40 minutes on a workout because I don't take a break between exersizes. 

Now bring on the nasayers.  And all I will say to them is that I and my wife really like the results of the strength training. 

Edited by trimore 2008-03-05 2:22 PM
2008-03-05 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1254336

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

couch potato no more - 2008-03-05 1:45 PM I only see benefits from building muscle mass, working on core, balance and flexibility Jill

And we like seeing the "benefits".  Keep it up!

2008-03-05 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1254352

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2008-03-05 1:52 PM

couch potato no more - 2008-03-05 1:45 PM sorry to hijack - and possibly open up a can of worms - but WHY is strength training a 'touchy subject'?

Jill

It's generally only 'touchy' when peple try to extrapolate weight training to performance gains and injury prevention in triathlon (or other endurance sports).  It's open to (quite a lot of) debate whether one can lead to the other.  But there are still many good/valid reasosns to weight train outside of triathlon performance and there's very little debate about that (or 'touchiness').

I added the bolded part. Nice post btw
2008-03-05 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1254413

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
trimore - 2008-03-05 2:18 PM

Now bring on the nasayers.  And all I will say to them is that I and my wife really like the results of the strength training. 

You're not going to find any, as you made no claims as to your weightlifting directly improving your triathlon performance. Rarely does anyone here deny that strength training produces a host of other benefits.

Edited by the bear 2008-03-05 2:25 PM
2008-03-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1254431

User image

Expert
FL
the bear - 2008-03-05 3:24 PM
trimore - 2008-03-05 2:18 PM

You're not going to find any, as you made no claims as to your weightlifting directly improving your triathlon performance. Rarely does anyone here deny that strength training produces a host of other benefits.

Yeh, I know, I was just trying to entice someone.....   LOL.  All in good fun. 

How about this then. 

Since I started weight training, my per mile time has gone down from 12 minutes to 10.5 minutes.  I attribute this to all the upper body strength training that I do.  I have found a secret in running.  The stronger your arms and chest are, the harder you can pump them and this makes your legs go faster.  So, off the the gym again to improve my running.  I will run again in a few weeks and see if I can get down to 10 minutes a mile after working my chest and arms really hard. 

2008-03-05 2:50 PM

User image

Runner

You need to just run.  More would be better.

Why only three days a week?  What's your definition of tempo run?  What pace do you run for each?  What distance for each run?  What's your most recent race times? What's your running background (how many months/years)?  Any injuries to speak of?  What are your goals?

2008-03-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1254452

User image

Runner
trimore - 2008-03-05 3:38 PM

Since I started weight training, my per mile time has gone down from 12 minutes to 10.5 minutes. I attribute this to all the upper body strength training that I do. I have found a secret in running. The stronger your arms and chest are, the harder you can pump them and this makes your legs go faster. So, off the the gym again to improve my running. I will run again in a few weeks and see if I can get down to 10 minutes a mile after working my chest and arms really hard.

pfffttt....  If you want to see real gains, you'll go out and start running with a metronome to make sure you run consistently at 180.  And then spend the next 3 years adopting some new running style.  And then get new shoes.  Actually, screw the shoes.  Never buy shoes again. 

2008-03-05 3:35 PM

Veteran
I see I didnt give enough information about myself

Ok, running background, I started running last year and completed 2 5ks..I took a break from running during the summer when I started mountain biking like 5 days a week. In the fall I stopped working out all together. In the winter, I started swimming to train for my first triathlon. Right now my typical week looks like so:

M: Bike 30 mins, ST 30 minutes
T: Swim 60 mins
W: Run 30 mins, ST 30 mins
Th: Swim 60 mins
Fri: Bike 25 mins, Run 25 mins
Sat: Off
Sun: Run 45 mins (working up to an hour)

My goals are to finish my first tri in June, and race an XTERRA in July. After taking my long break from running, I started running 3 days a week at the end of January, right now I am running about (3.5, 2.25 and 1.5). The running goal is to get my long run to about 5-6 miles, medium run to about 4 miles, short to about 2 miles, while also preparing for my first tri. I run 3 days a week because for now, I think I am doing as much as I can handle. When I was just running, I ran 4 days a week but with swimming and biking, I cant honestly see myself adding another day of running in there. MY definition of a tempo run has my heart rate at about 85% of MHR, although that my not fit with guidelines and such..since I am fairly new at running anything faster than 75% of my MHR, I thought I would keep it conservative for now. My goal is to run an open 5K in under 30 minutes. The only injuries I had from running were shin splints last year when I first started..they worked themselves out and havent come back since...

Strength training goal is to um..get stronger? help build endurance? I have just always felt better when I have strength training in my routine. Right now I am trying to figure out how to re-work my schedule so that I do target each muscle group at least twice a week.

Basically, I am trying to optimize the 5-6 hours a week I have for training.
2008-03-05 4:02 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Just a suggestion, take it for what its worth .......

You have only two days of cycling for about a 1/2 hour each.  Bottom line suggestion, you need to ride more, both time and number of sessions.  2 half hour sessions is simply not enough to comfortably finish a tri, especially an XTERRA event.

Edited by Daremo 2008-03-05 4:03 PM
2008-03-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1254425

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
KenD - 2008-03-05 12:22 PM

couch potato no more - 2008-03-05 1:45 PM I only see benefits from building muscle mass, working on core, balance and flexibility Jill

And we like seeing the "benefits".  Keep it up!

thanks for the 'cheerleading' Ken!

okay....I get the point why some consider it 'touchy'....

I KNOW that the strength training has led to me no longer having issues with my knees. I had patello-femoral syndrome....and I know that quad/hamstring work I have done has helped my knee track better...and I no longer have any issues with my knees and I am doing way more miles (and faster) than when I used to have problems with my knees.

And my running 'coach' (just my sun run running group instructor) has also told me that upper body strength helps with running too - especially up hills when you are driving your body by pumping your arms.

so there - i respectfully disagree with those 'naysayer' - hhmmpphh!

Jill

2008-03-05 4:25 PM

Veteran
Once the trails dry up around here and the days get longer..my biking times are going to sky rocket :-) my biking time will be more like 3 days a week..2 hours a day :-) Most of my bike training will be on the mountain bike.

Edited by Makukula 2008-03-05 4:26 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Miscellaneous Questions..Swim/Run/Strength Training Rss Feed