General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coeur d'Alene IronmanTravel Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-05 10:59 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Coeur d'Alene IronmanTravel Plans
Hello everyone

I will be doing my first Ironman at Coeur d'Alene this year and was wondering how many days before the race should one arrive? I have a place to stay, just wondering when do most people arrive, Wednesday? Thursday? I'll be flying in from out of state.

Thanks

2008-03-06 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1255474

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Coeur d'Alene IronmanTravel Plans
I would guess that it is split about 50-50.  If I had to travel I think I would base it on how far I had to fly.  I would want to wake up Friday morning feeling good.  So if I had a short flight from say California then I would not have a problem with showing up on Thrusday.  If I had a long flight from say like the east coast then I think I would want to come in on Wednesday.
2008-03-06 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I second what was just said.  I flew in from Atlanta and arrived on Wednesday.  I also decided to fly into Seattle and drive.  For my first, I wanted all the time in the world in case something went wrong.  Plus I wanted to soak everything in before the chaos began. 
2008-03-15 7:19 AM

AK,

I went out in 2005 but I drove it fromIndiana. Took 3 week vacation, packed up the gear and the family and headed west. Stayed with the IM swim Coordinator for a about 10 days, and then headed back.

Awesome drive, went everywhere out west it seem like.

Had a good swim, cool 63 degree.......perfect conditions, good bike until I could not get my nutrition down after the special needs, struggled badly.....sucked, got in and hit the run and was OK until I got just outside of town, and was reduced to walking. Gas tank was empty. Kept doing the step drag, run, step drag, run and at mile 18 or so heading out to the final turnaround I started on coke, GU and warm chicken brooth and was back in the game. Ran my best at this point and at the turnaround (on the hill...argh) I saw PR, got into the zone and stayed on in it.
With 4 blocks to go, saw the family, grabbed my little girl (all of about 30 pounds at the time) and put her on my shoulders and ran the last four blocks with her in my finishers pic. Just how I rehearsed it. Now I have 3 finishes with my 3 kids ineach finisher pic. IM Wisconsin was solo.
mADE THE 2005 CDA pics of the day.

I will go back again to race and will drive it again if I can. Damn gas prices may stop that.

CDA.........nice course. From what I have been able to race over the last 8 years, I hold every race now to the IM Lake Placid scorecard.

Lake Placid 9/10
CDA 8.5/10
Wisconsin ? /10 (the 2006 rain and cold put a damper the crowds and the score)

Good Luck in CDA,
im4timer

1999 GFT 15:52
2002 IM Lake Placid 13:45
2005 IM CDA 13:22
2006 IM Wisconsin 13:39
2009 IM Panama City ? ............gunning for a 12 hour finish

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coeur d'Alene IronmanTravel Plans Rss Feed