Precipitation
Total Time = 19m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

10 min jog to get there.
Event warmup:

10 mins warm up - mostly just to keep warm!
Run
  • 19m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Went out hard, closed gap to Craig (30s headstart) quickly, concentrated well and kept pace hard. Burnt off Mark Roper at end, but lost sprint to young student dude...
What would you do differently?:

More run training, more intervals.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back - calves cramping...

Event comments:

Was 3rd best at guessing handicap - had estimated 20:00. Won nice bottle of wine!

Last updated: 2004-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:39 | 05 kms | 03m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-12-08 9:31 AM

New user

stirling
Subject: Christmas Handicap

2004-12-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #90423

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Christmas Handicap
A 5Km in 19:39!!!!!  That is a pretty damned good time, Andy.  I looked at your duathlone and see that you cycled a 20Km in 34 minutes!  Hey, you will be certainly be a serious contender in competitive triathlones if you aren't already!!!    And yes, I am quite jealous..... :-)
2004-12-08 3:07 PM
in reply to: #90445

New user

stirling
Hi there.

My time today was ok, about as fast as I could have gone, but not fantastic...

The problem is that the other guys who do 34mins for a 20k bike are running closer to 17mins for a 5k!

Running is definitely my weak point, and after doing just bike racing this year I've set my mind on some hard run training for the winter. So far I'm just 7 weeks into run training. Ideally I'd like to get under 19 minutes and a lot closer to 18 for a 5k by next spring. We'll see...

What are your plans for the winter/next season?

Cheers, Andy

Edited by andrewgturnbull 2004-12-08 3:08 PM
2004-12-08 7:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-12-09 4:07 AM

Veteran
London, UK

Good run Andrew - well done.

I like the idea of winning a bottle of wine for predicting one's finish time, think I'll have to suggest that to my running club committee...

2004-12-09 4:21 AM
in reply to: #90713

New user

stirling
Hi there.

Yeah - yesterday was a fun wee informal race run by the university sports department. Entry fee was £1.50 which paid for a finger buffet afterwards, and you also provided a mystery prize for less than a fiver.

You had to submit your estimated time in advance, from which you were given a handicap. There was a staggered start, slowest off first, fastest last. If everything worked out right then everyone would catch the runners in front and end up with a mass sprint for the line! Oh yeah, no-one was allowed to wear a watch...

Two people guessed their times better than me so I had third pick from the prizes which netted me a nice wee Californian White something or other. Not opened yet, but I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Good fun, a mix of the young fast students (16:10 for 5k was the best time...), and slightly slower older guys and gals from the uni staff. I fell somewhere in the middle as a graduate. Not that all of the staff were slow, one of them has recently taken the british 10mile record for women over 50 with a 59:xx - which is astounding.

Cheers, Andy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Christmas Handicap Rss Feed