General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think I am ready for an IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-06 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: I think I am ready for an IM?
Well I have really enjoyed being a part of this community for over a year now.

I completed my first Sprint Tri on May 19th last year and all the thanks goes to this site and more importantly the members who support it. I am in the best shape of my life and have energy to spare (when tappering that is)

So to summarize my 2007 seanson, I completed a Sprint (1:28), Olympic (2:44) and finally a HIM (5:52). I trained pretty hard and tried to log most sessions on the BT log book.

I felt very good after the HIM in late 2007 and it got me to thinking that I might be able to complete an IM in 2008. So, my goal over the winter was to work on my running (weakest leg) and see how my body reacted to a marathon in eary 2008. I just completed the 2008 Alpharetta Marathon last week (3:55). To be completely honest I was pretty beat after the race. I don't think I respected the event as much as I did the HIM. Needless to say I finished under my set goal of four hours and recovered pretty quickly in the next 3 days.

So after the pain of the mary left me, I got back to dreaming about a 2008 IM. I know that I can do it, but any advice would be appreciated.....basically where do I stand from my 2007 accomplishments and do you think I am rushing the IM goal. If I decide to do this, I plan on taking some time off from work (or at least work from home) to concentrate on my training.

THANKS!

2008-03-06 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1257429

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: I think I am ready for an IM?
You've completed HIM and marathons in very respectable times...you're ready.
2008-03-06 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

You probably can finish respectably, but your real challenge is going to be finding an IM distance race that is still accepting applications for 2008.  All M-Dot races are sold out for 2008 and many of the Indie ones are as well.

Either way, Good Luck!

2008-03-06 6:45 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Presuming you can find a slot then the real question is whether you and your family are ready for the time it takes to adequately train for one.

Your weekends will largely be consumed by your bike.  You will spend more time fixing your own bottle than for those required by your avatar picture. 

When you are at home, you will feel wiped out. (I cannot tell you how many times I took the kids to late Saturday afternoon movies so that I could sit down while spending time with them.)

IM training is more than a personal commitment, it is a family commitment.  Make triple-dog sure wifey is on board as she will have to bear a lot of the family burden alone.

All of that said, it was completely worth it for me ... even with the bumps and bruises along the way.  I lucked out in that my wife was unselfishly supportive of the training and my selfish personal goal.  I had great friends support me through the process and an excellent coach that kept me focused while making the most use of my training time.

Good luck!

2008-03-06 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great points everyone....

1. I have reserved a spot in the Beach To Battleship in Wilmington NC....its is a charity spot and will cost me some extra money, but it does go to charity. Maybe a good opportunity to raise some money for a good cause.

2. My wife and I do not have kids yet but are planning on starting a family next year, so I guess now is the time to reach for this goal.

3. Believe it or not I did almost all of my marathon training on a treadmill this winter....I think I did two outside runs during the entire program....so I don't mind a trainer at home with the better half watching tv with me.

Its a plan.

2008-03-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1257532

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, sounds like we are on similar paths (you are much faster though).  Started with an oly in april of last year.  Then several oly's and and HIM later, I'm in my peak month right now for an HIM April 19th.

My goal is to compete/complete an IM this November.  Supposedly one of the hardest, if not the hardest, IM in the country.  Spots are still available in you want to come to Vegas.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to do one right now, but I DO know that I'm ready to try..... and my better half supports me.....

2008-03-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1257565

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Congrats on signing up for B2B!!! I'll be there and am looking forward to meeting all the BTers there. (As soon as I tell my wife I signed up that is)

It sounds like you have the right attitude and respect for the race and will no doubt will have a blast!! The one thing that I did last year that really took a load of pressure off workouts was to hire a coach. It was a lot easier to plan my week around workouts than to try and fit workouts around my schedule.

Good luck!! 

2008-03-06 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I think if your mind and heart are in it, and you can train for it... then you can do it.

I'm doing IM Kentucky... and I haven't done more than 100 miles on a bike (once!) and more than 13.2 miles of running (in my HIM!).

But I know I can finish. I'm training hard and I know that I can do it. My heart and mind are in it.

Are you really into doing it? Do you know what your One Thing is for being there? If so, you will finish.

Oh... and honestly, it really is all about you being confident about doing it. I had people here on BT tell me I couldn't train for and complete and IM. Well they can take that opinion and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

If I had listened to them, I wouldn't have signed up. But I listened to me and what I know I can do. No one knows me better than I do.

See signature line....

Edited by KSH 2008-03-06 10:07 PM
2008-03-07 1:50 AM
in reply to: #1257855

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
I'll see you at IMKY as well! Keep up with the training and get ready to have a blast!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think I am ready for an IM? Rss Feed