Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cop runs over 3 cyclists, killing two Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-10 11:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1263037

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cop runs over 3 cyclists, killing two

Here's some additional info on the crash and the 2 cyclist killed.  I didn't personally know Kristy, but I had met her boyfriend Clas Bijorling a few years ago through my Chiro, she was certainly and up and coming triathlete and cyclist.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/10/MNKSVGTJ1.DTL&tsp=1

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/10/MNE8VH1CV.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/10/MN6QVH1LD.DTL

2008-03-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1263145

2008-03-10 12:39 PM

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I read that last night.  It's so sad.  There was a rumor on my other forum that the cop had fallen asleep. 

Looking at the photos, it looks a bit more dramatic than just "crossing the double yellow."

Tragic for the cyclists and their friends and family.  But also tragic for the cop.  Tragic for the whole community. 

2008-03-10 2:02 PM

Master
St. Louis
Wow.. thats terrible.. especially being that a Cop hit them. Totally unacceptable.
2008-03-10 2:58 PM

Mountain View, CA
I just read about this a few minutes ago, and it strikes a little close to home (literally--the crash happened a 10-15 minute ride from my house). How awful. They just redid that road within the last few years, I think, to widen the shoulder for cyclists' safety. But when you're up against a hillside, there's not a lot you can do about someone crossing over the entire freakin' road.

2008-03-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1263429

2008-03-10 3:41 PM

Elite
San Jose, CA
It just goes to show how making one mistake, can possibly ruin the rest of your life...Its only about 20 min from where I live. 
2008-03-10 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1263737

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

runningwoof - 2008-03-10 1:41 PM It just goes to show how making one mistake, can possibly ruin the rest of your life...Its only about 20 min from where I live.

Yeah, I'm treading a fine line here.  I mean, the cop was clearly in the wrong, and now two people are dead over it.

But, knowing someone who fell asleep at the wheel and caused a terrible accident, I can't cry out for this guy's blood.  His badge, yes.  But not blood.  This guy will have to live with the memory of what he caused for the rest of his days.  And I pity him for that.

And, having lost a good friend to a tragic car accident very recently, I'm all too aware of how life can change forever in seconds.  There, but for the grace of God (or whatever higher power you believe in), go I.

2008-03-10 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1263859

Expert

Wow. I read that link and I think it is great the information that you were able to draw from it.  I am a police officer and I take great offense to the cop bashing that is a regular event on this site and these froums.  I am sure that the officer was in the wrong and I offer no excuse for his lack of judgement (or driving skill whatever the case may be).  However, based on other Police bashing forums and comments I have seen here it is likely that a great percentage of posters here fall under the category of "I hate the police until I need them."

I know an officer that ran over a kid several years ago (totally not his fault). This will haunt that officer forever.  I also have had my share of run ins with aggressive drivers while riding.  Just see it for what it probably is, a tragic accident.  Not a "bad cop" thing....

2008-03-10 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1263880

2008-03-10 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1263859

Mountain View, CA
madkat - 2008-03-10 2:46 PM

This guy will have to live with the memory of what he caused for the rest of his days. And I pity him for that.

x2. 

2008-03-11 12:42 AM

Nor*Cal

This hits close to home for me too.

My training ride for my first tri was on that same road.

Thoughts and prayers to the riders and their families.

Some more details about the incident, eye witness accounts included.

-ak- 

2008-03-11 7:40 AM

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
gator22 - 2008-03-10 6:01 PM

Wow. I read that link and I think it is great the information that you were able to draw from it.  I am a police officer and I take great offense to the cop bashing that is a regular event on this site and these froums.  I am sure that the officer was in the wrong and I offer no excuse for his lack of judgement (or driving skill whatever the case may be).  However, based on other Police bashing forums and comments I have seen here it is likely that a great percentage of posters here fall under the category of "I hate the police until I need them."

I know an officer that ran over a kid several years ago (totally not his fault). This will haunt that officer forever.  I also have had my share of run ins with aggressive drivers while riding.  Just see it for what it probably is, a tragic accident.  Not a "bad cop" thing....

Also as a cop, There is no way to put a good spin on this but rest assured no one will come out of this well. A tragic accident is exactly that, an accident. The fact that the driver was a cop really isn't particularlly relevant. We are all human and subject to the same afflictions as everyone else, including being tired.
2008-03-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1264809

Master
Centennial, CO

sgillen - 2008-03-11 6:40 AM Also as a cop, There is no way to put a good spin on this but rest assured no one will come out of this well. A tragic accident is exactly that, an accident. The fact that the driver was a cop really isn't particularlly relevant. We are all human and subject to the same afflictions as everyone else, including being tired.

Actually it is relavent.  If anyone who drives as part of their job is in an accident, then that is relavent.  If in fact the officer fell asleep (which was mentioned as a possible cause), then they (both the officer and department) were negligent.  I do not hate cops.  I do hate that all cops think everyone hates them.  Regardless of who commited this accident, someone really screwed up and should pay a tremendous price.  Someone lost their life.  There is no good reason.  A true accident would be a mechanical failure that could not have been prevented.  Falling asleep should have been prevented. 

Just my opinion.

2008-03-11 9:16 AM

Elite
San Jose, CA
gator22 - 2008-03-10 3:01 PM

I am sorry that you feel this site has an anti police tint.  I am not a cop, but have the utmost respect for them.  I have not read anything that I felt was blatantly anit-cop...and infact...marmadaddy posted in the Tritalk thread, that any cop bashing will get any thread pulled. 

I am worried for the officer involved.  I hope that he is able to find some kind of resolution and peace in years to come.  I can't imagine what he is going through right now.  I have fallen asleep at the wheel, and I am pretty sure every single person who drives, have made mistakes where if someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time, we would be in the same situation. 

Edited by runningwoof 2008-03-11 9:17 AM

2008-03-11 10:31 AM

Expert
Trinity, Florida
First off, I am a Deputy Sheriff. That said I am also on a traffic crash investigation team and one who is called whenever there is a crash involving a fatality involving a vehicle/pedestrian/motorcycle/bike. I have worked fatal crashes involving vehicles vs bikes and usually it is a result of one or another involved being either under the influence or operating a MV with a cranial/anal inversion.

I have also worked crashes involving other Deputy's vehicles. The odds of a law enforcement officer being involved in a crash are great due to driving anywhere from 8-12 hours a shift. Drowsy driving can be a factor in these crashes. Alcohol usually is not. Distracted driving is also a factor. It is an unfortunte when this occurs and I never like to see a brother go through what he is. I have no additional information about the crash other than what was put in the news.

I'm not sure if any of this had a point other than it sucks, it happened, and I am sure if the driver could do it all over again it would have been prevented.
2008-03-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1264824

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
velocomp - 2008-03-11 7:59 AM

sgillen - 2008-03-11 6:40 AM Also as a cop, There is no way to put a good spin on this but rest assured no one will come out of this well. A tragic accident is exactly that, an accident. The fact that the driver was a cop really isn't particularlly relevant. We are all human and subject to the same afflictions as everyone else, including being tired.

Actually it is relavent.  If anyone who drives as part of their job is in an accident, then that is relavent.  If in fact the officer fell asleep (which was mentioned as a possible cause), then they (both the officer and department) were negligent.  I do not hate cops.  I do hate that all cops think everyone hates them.  Regardless of who commited this accident, someone really screwed up and should pay a tremendous price.  Someone lost their life.  There is no good reason.  A true accident would be a mechanical failure that could not have been prevented.  Falling asleep should have been prevented. 

Just my opinion.

I have to agree, especially since police officers are here to "protect and serve." How can you protect if you are not coherant enough to stay awake?

On another forum, details have come out that he was just starting his shift. So it wasn't like he'd been driving around for 8 hours. He should have been fresh.
2008-03-11 11:00 AM

Master
Northern California

This thread is not anti-cop - it's anti-killing cyclists.

2008-03-11 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1265165

Elite
San Jose, CA
lisac957 - 2008-03-11 8:45 AM
velocomp - 2008-03-11 7:59 AM

Just my opinion.

I have to agree, especially since police officers are here to "protect and serve." How can you protect if you are not coherant enough to stay awake? On another forum, details have come out that he was just starting his shift. So it wasn't like he'd been driving around for 8 hours. He should have been fresh.

Actually, according to the news...he started his shift at 6am and the accident happend at 10:30am...He was scheduled to work 12.5 hours.  I have not heard what he worked the day before...I am not trying to justify his actions.  It is a tragedy on all sides!

2008-03-11 11:32 AM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

folks, lets not forget 2 people were killed and this officer will live with that forever!   Police officer or not - he's living a nightmare and so are the victim's family and friends.

Having been involved in an accident that injured a child - injuring another person with your vehicle IS NEVER forgotten.  I have no doubt that he did not intend to get behind the wheel that day and go out and kill 1 or 2 people with his vehicle.  it happened.  Whether he is an officer or civilian, it happened.... Peace be with the 2 victims and may this man seek help to get him thru this living nightmare!

2008-03-11 11:38 AM

2008-03-11 11:55 AM

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Wow - There sure are a lot of people here that have never done anything unsafe or made any mistakes.  I wish I could be like that.

Alas, I am surely not, by a long shot.

I pray for the families of the cyclists that were killed. 

I pray for the soul of the person whose mistakes caused this tragedy. 

I hope that the publicity that this receives will make those that are not cyclists understand the need to share the road and be aware of things that are more vulnerable than you when you are in a vehicle.  I hope it will remind those that are cyclists that they do put themselves in a hazardous situation from time to time, and that the desire to be somewhere quickly does not outweigh the desire to get there alive.

Let me tell you from experience, that when you hold yourself responsible for the death of another human being, especially one that you were charged with protecting, you live with it forever.  Wether it truly is your fault or you just percieve it that way, the feeling that you have the day after the event will be just as strong 20 years after the event.

2008-03-11 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1265323

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jdwright56 - 2008-03-11 11:55 AM

Wow - There sure are a lot of people here that have never done anything unsafe or made any mistakes. 

Can you show us where anyone said anything remotely like that in this thread?
2008-03-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1265325

Expert

I am sorry that I said anything about anti-cop.  After carefully re-reading all of the posts before mine, it wasn't there. I DO think that a lot of people on this forum have had only negative experiences (ex:getting a ticket) from cops, so they have a negative slant.  I have not written a ticket in almost 6 years and most of the people I arrest I do so for murder, assault, robbery, or rape...I am also certified in Accident recontstruction like the poster above. However, it is not my full time job so I don't do it so much....and I don't like to talk about things I am not well versed in.

And Marmadaddy is from my city, so he knows exactly what we do...and I am glad for his pro-police sentiments....

I pray for all involved in this tragedy.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cop runs over 3 cyclists, killing two Rss Feed  

of 2